Thursday, March 25, 2010

Hertzler Doings-March 22-29, 2010

Mon.-Went with Janelle to Appomattox Public School, the lawyers, and Cornerstone. She left from school to go back to Pa.

Tues. Wed.-School; Recitatio Practice; worked in flower garden. Planted onions, kale, and lettuce in cold frames. We found out that Michael was awarded the Pamplin Ruritan Club Scholarship of $1,000.

Thurs-Recitatio Practice; Home sweet home. Phil has first performance tonight. Easter Musical-"The Promise" at New Life. He plays Pilate and he's so fine. Tonight I am making mushroom lasagne. I am thinking about making three kinds of lasagne for the rehearsal dinner so I will start experimenting now. First chance to get on the computer for over a week; Phil's been working on the books. Phil has been also happily plowing the fields and disking the garden. He made a nice trench for us in the garden and Susan, Philip, and I planted 15 pounds of 3 different types of potatoes.

Fri-Day at home to wash, cook, and clean. Billy Balmer came in the eve. to stay with us for a few days. He and Freeman have been friends since they were babies. Susan, Freeman, Alli, Billy, and I went to the Easter Musical at church-"The Promise". Phil was Pilate. It was great. His scene is tense and riveting. Afterwards, we went to Huddle House to meet Ray and Ruth there. We always laugh so hard when we're together. Since we all four want to go on a cruise to Alaska, we are dreaming about doing that together some summer some year. There is something about Phil and his portrayal of Pilate that makes me feel very...I'm not sure how to say it. I leaned over to him at the restaurant and whispered, "I like authoritative men all dressed up in purple." It made him chuckle which makes me happy.

Sat.-Slept in. Washed clothes. Cleaned house. Cooked. Walked to river with Susan and we picked up a stray dog with tracking device or should I say that he picked us up. Called the number and the owner will come get it tonight. (A friend of the dog showed up later. They happily wagged their tails when they found each other.) Susan's heart broken for poor, skinny, smiling, sweet dog. Phil has two performances today. I want to plant the beautiful purple pansies Phil bought me yesterday, but am not sure if they will handle a heavy frost like we had last night. Billy and Freeman are playing around with their guns, shooting them in, etc. Billy feels like another son; I've literally known him for his whole life. His mother, Helen, sent a German fruit cake along-her specialty. He said this morning that it was in his car and that he will give it to me before he leaves. I said, "Go get it now," and since he was always an obedient child, he said, 'ok', put his shoes on and brought it it. It is halfway eaten already.
Read an e-mail from mother. She is typing up her diaries from 1959, when I was a year old. She said that I was sitting on Grandma Landis's lap in the car and the whole way to our destination, I was going "Ah-haha-ah" at the top of my voice. My sister, Rosalee, who is 5 or 6 years older than me, said, "Aren't you glad she's our baby?" She liked my singing, mother wrote.

Sun.-Church. Left early to go play piano at a funeral at Christ Church in Appomattox. (CCA) Tina's father passed away suddenly after a battle with cancer. Meaningful service full of kindness and goodness. Dr. H. described Mr. Qua~~ as having great soul and great goodness. He said that the Christian knows sorrow in life. Jesus loved Lazarus and hated death. Even though He knew how things would turn out, He wept at the news of Lazarus's death. Our life's timeline looks like this...sin-->death-->resurrection-->judgment-->justification/life. Our sorrow has hope.
Tina gave me flowers and a wonderful note and her daughter Amanda, wrote out a timely verse for me on a sheet of paper where she had drawn pictures and written sweet words. "Be strong, and courageous..." Torrential rain in the eve. Phil's last performance as Pilate in the musical. The Matthews were sitting in the balcony. During the crucifixion scene, when Jesus cried out, a little boy behind them said, 'Mommy, what is that? Is that His heart breaking?' Out of the mouth's of babes. His heart breaking, His flesh tearing.
Watched 'The Fugitive' with Christi, Philip and Susan. Buttered popcorn for supper.

No comments: