Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Virgins and Lanterns

I've been thinking about the ten virgins and their lights.

There is a temptation, I think,
to have our lamps lit to attract people to our own light,
rather than to light the pathway for the bride and groom.

But we must keep our lamps filled with oil
in order to do our part
in being the light of the world.

A lantern lit in the darkness
held closely to one's self,
distorts a person's face;
giving it eerie shadows
and an unearthly appearance.

But lamps lit together in a row
can light a pathway
so people know where to go.

No one is meant to be in the limelight.
We are to be the light
that helps the main attraction be seen.

I think too often
we use the light of God
to make ourselves look good.

I am thinking about these things.
I am sorry about these things.

No comments: