Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Hertzler Doings-March 29-April 4, 2010

Mon.-Went out to school to practice for The Recitatio and out again in the eve. for the performance. Philip, Christi, and Phil came and we attempted to tape Michael's part for Freeman. Attempts failed but we found another source. Great evening and I'll give it it's own spot.

Tues.-What a day. A day full of meaningful conversations in school and at the drug store and in the Kroger's parking lot where a dear woman came to me asking for help. She told me about her life and blessed me and said she'd pray for us. The lady at the drug store sent up a prayer for her father and we had a good talk about preserving the dignity of an aging parent, esp. one going blind who shouldn't be driving anymore. Walked to the river to make sure I don't miss any of the purpley beauty of the bluebells as they progress from buds to blossoms. Phil was hunting arrowheads.
I just want to say something about Appomattox. It is the friendliest place in the world and there is great kindness there. Since the shootings, people are even kinder. It is as if we are aware that the person next to us may be going through great sorrow, and we want to lighten their load or comfort them. People talk to me as if we have been friends forever. I need to start learning names of people and realize that we could actually be friends for the rest of our lives. In this last Guideposts, there was a quote that said, "Strive to be first: first to nod, first to smile, first to compliment and first to forgive." Appomattox folks practice this ideal.

Wed.-Taught school. We practiced 'Be Thou My Vision' in preparation for graduation. We sang "Low in the Grave He Lay" and other songs of their choosing from the Recitatio. We also played musical mats, played just like musical chairs. They had the option of playing with playdough or coloring while listening to music and I learned all kinds of things about the kids today.
In the afternoon, the high schoolers had a fencing competition. The whole school went out to the gym to watch. Between matches, Mr. Sullivan and I started tossing the basketball into the hoop. When we'd miss, the kids all said, "Aww..." sympathetically. When we succeeded, they would cheer loudly. It was so much fun. Michael said that Dr. Hubler was trying to talk to the competitors and the cheering got so loud he stopped talking. He gave Michael a look and Michael said, "That's my mommy." I am quite sore and need an ice pack. But it was worth it.
Took Mike and Susan to church in the eve. Picked Lindsay up at the Daily Grind after she finished teaching violin lessons. We put Adi in a stroller and walked around the block near the Bantons. Saw Emma in her Rainbow class. Blessed Banton Balm. Thank you God.

Thurs.-Day at home. Dipped eggs for Susan and made pretzel rods dipped in chocolate and sprinkles for my families Easter bag. Washed and cleaned. Picked up Susan and delivered eggs. I tried to get a few people back at school by playing some April Fool's jokes. As I was leaving I said to Dr. H, "I'm sorry about your truck.... Send me the bill." Then I went out the door and walked towards his truck even though I was parked on the other side of the parking lot. I told Mrs. J. that she had a rip in her pants and I had her looking for it for a few seconds before I told her, "April Fool's." Went to Krogers and Southern States where we bought rabbit food and many seeds for $6.00. I want to grow our food year round. We're working on the idea. Susan cut oodles of water cress-about 8 gallons-and we washed and bagged it for market. Phil's taking it over to Tom's and Meredith will take it to work with her. We are raising money to go see Makenzie and her mother this summer. Makenzie called when we were just finishing up. Going to bed early tonight. Completely exhausted.
Guys are working around here this week. Freeman on old house. Philip on milking parlor. He built a shelf and put his antlers and otter mount and skins on it and hung his elk skin on the wall as well as his bear head. Phil's working on the books and the fields. We are having a good time with everyone home. Getting Janelle's permits this week. Land being cleared. Settled on June 19th date for Pig Roast this year.



Fri.-Went to Farmville and picked up Lindsay and the girls. Gil camping. We went to Judy's for the morning and afternoon. Susan and I painted eggs with Sammy Jo, Emma, and Adi. Judy and Lindsay worked on a project in the sewing room. Judy served us fudge and strawberries for appetizers and wonderful tacos for lunch. Then she grilled a nutella, marshmellow, and banana sandwich and we topped them with whipped cream. You can't imagine how good they were! I think I had a sugar collapse after all that and I took a nap on her chair and then moved to the sofa to finish it. As a child, I always liked when company came and stayed past my bedtime. I'd lay in my bed with the door open, listening to the murmur of happy voices as I fell asleep. That's how it felt to fall asleep at Judy's. Brought them back here and we rode to the river on the gator to see the bluebells and throw stones at Angel. In the eve., we went to Trinity Mennonite Church for their Tenebrae service. Ray had candles lit in the front and after each scripture and hymn was sung, he'd snuff out one candle. At the very end, we sat in silence for a minute, and thought about the death of Christ. No one spoke to each other as we left the premises. It was a meaningful service.

I was holding Emma when in the quietness of the holy moments she announced publicly, "My butt hurts." Then, "I have to go to the bathroom." Lindsay took them out the back and after they completed their task, she let them play in the library while she listened to the service. Took her back home afterwards. A friend had sent her several dozen purple and yellow tulips. Such a nice welcome home. Susan and I went to Walmart and it was a zoo. Came home and finally fell asleep after midnight sometime. Again.



Sat.-Washed several loads. Preparing venison, beef, and bear roasts for 4:00 meal at Tom's tomorrow. Also made a roaster full of homemade macaroni and cheese and a lemon chiffon cake. Susan and I planted pansies. Tom, Tommy, and Phil worked on the tractor and planted early sweet corn. Hoping to have some for the pig roast. Philip finished up the trim on our new living room door while Christi watched. They are spending the afternoon together, playing Rook, taking pics of bluebells, etc. Freeman and Alli left for Pa. yesterday morning. They spent the afternoon and eve. with Billy and Becka and Alli had her first taste of 'Dutch Goose'-pig stomach. Today they are antiquing with Aunt Anne and cousins in Adamstown. Tonight, they will be with my family at Shady Maple and tomorrow, they'll go to Hopewell and have Easter lunch with the Hertzler's. Michael is working today. Eric, Chace, Jordan, and Travis are coming in the eve. Hoping to plant more garden today and clean the floors after everyone is finished with the muddy fields. Planted 4 of Hugh's tomato plants. 4 more to go. He said they will keep us in tomatoes all summer.

Sunday-Easter! The Lord is risen! He is risen indeed! The Emmaus Road-reminded of that story several different times today. Church. Saw Gena afterwards. 12,000 eggs for 270 kids at church. Came home and took a nap. Went to Tom's for early supper. Kids played Ninja in front yard for a long time. Christi with us there. Helen, Michelle and I went for a walk while Serena rode a bike. Always a good time. Redbuds and flowers blooming everywhere. Mom and Dad are enjoying Freeman and Alli. Want to keep them there with them. They are coming home tonight.

No comments: