Monday, June 21, 2010

Hertzler Doings-June 21-27, 2010

I decided to write down three things I am thankful for each day. Hence the addition at the end of each entry.

Mon.-Susan and Makenzie were up till past midnight, sitting outside and watching the stars. They saw quite a few shooting stars. Susan fell asleep while they were watching a movie this morning. They helped clean up, picked the garden things and snapped the beans, and did other odd jobs and then, all afternoon, we relaxed down at the river. Freeman and Michael fixed fences. The cows got into our corn Sunday morning before church. Philip is working with Crit's crew. Phil and Freeman working on future housing plans. Sweet corn for supper. We will have alot by the end of the week. Hublers and Thong here to ride around with Phil in gator checking out a property down the road. I was busy cleaning up trash and doing wash,etc. I am thankful for sweet corn, a cabela's lounge chair, and rippling water.

Tues.-Did odd jobs in the morning, made squash/egg casserole, tortilla beans and meat and cucumber salad while the conservationist lady was here talking to Phil. I listened in as I busied about. Took girls to river in afternoon. This time, I wasn't too tired to read. The girls made a fire out front in the eve. and are cooking burgers, corn, craw daddies, potatoes from the garden, and marshmellow fluff and blueberry filling sandwich pies. Philip came home and it was good to see him. He's working hard at the bay. Freeman at Guild's. Phil at Ruritan's Club. Michael happy to have Philip at home. Phil doing paper work and land preservation work all day.
I am thankful for rest, the fact that we didn't renew our dish satellite contract, and the extra ice cream left over from the pig roast.
Wed.-Did some wash and paper work. Guys took down stage and tent. Freeman checked out housing. Took Makenzie and Susan to Appomattox-Salvation Army, Krogers, Walmart, Exxon, etc. Went to river for an hour and half in the afternoon. Discovered that if I sit below the rapids and put my feet in them, I receive a whirlpool type therapy on my hurt foot. Went to church in eve. and waited for Sara to get out of her meeting in town. I enjoyed learning about Hebrews as I sat outside the door of PR's class. Girls made shrimp and crab that Makenzie bought after they got home. It's going to be a late night.
I am thankful for the devotional from Streams in the Desert that Michael brought to read to us this morning. I am thankful for the 10 pack of Arbonne samples that Annie gave me-over a month's supply and for a year's supply of Arbonne protein shakes.
I am thankful for the way Phil takes time to explain things to our children and the way he responds instead of reacts in any given situation. He is knowledgable, wise, and objective and I am amazed at his intellectual and emotional energy.
I am thankful for all of the unopened bags of tortilla chips left over from the pig roast.
I am thankful that Makenzie's mother is letting her stay another day, and for her kind words on the phone this morning when she told us that Makenzie never likes to spend the night away from home and this is the first time she has done it except for a night here and there with a relative. (She's been here since Friday and we love her.)

Thurs.-Today I was praying about Phil's work, etc. and I heard God's voice say, "Praise me." It was wonderful. I sometimes think I am irresponsible when I don't worry about finances and here, when I was worried, He told me to praise Him and my spirit was lifted and my faith grew strong. I know He will take care of us. I made another part of Alli's gift for her shower on Sat. Lynn came to pick up Makenzie before lunch and the girls prolonged their farewells for another hour. I had to cry really hard twice before Lynn even got here, just thinking about Makenzie leaving. She came over and held me and said that she would come back to visit me. She is just so easy to have and I never wished she wasn't here. Michael checked into a part time job in Lynchburg this afternoon. Philip went to King's Dominion with his Harvest friends. Freeman and Alli checked out a property in the eve. Phil worked in the fields, prepared for next week's new house project, and ground corn. He doesn't mind the heat. We ate ice cream and popcorn in the eve. Michael invited me to watch 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang' with him and Susan. We had fun singing some of the songs when Freeman and Alli were here. Sweet corn is ready and it is 'Incredible.'
I am thankful for the freedom to praise Him instead of trying to wake Him up while He's sleeping in our sinking boat. I am thankful for water color paints and the chance to paint a little scene this morning. I am thankful for air conditioning when the temperature is close to 100 degrees. I am thankful for Judy and her phone call tonight. I am thankful for the sale of Breyer's ice cream and the four kinds I purchased-peach, Heath bar, Snickers, and coffee. I am thankful for my pleasant man and our pleasant land. I am thankful for Freeman and Alli's sweet deep love for one another. I am thankful that everyone is home safe for the night. I am thankful for Susan's strength and for her ability to communicate clearly with others. I am thankful that it is hard to stop writing about the things I am thankful for.

Fri.-Cleaned house, washed, watered flowers, made large dish of Chinese casserole. Went to Judy's to get the words 'Alli and Freeman' embroidered on the back of the housecoat I made her.
I had made a pair of purple plaid lounge pants for Freeman earlier this week. Alli's housecoat is sage green and Judy embroidered their names in purple. These are the colors of their bridesmaid dresses. Had a great time in Judy's busy household. Sammy Jo is teething and she was enjoying sucking on ice cubes. Phil was power washing large equipment today. Philip and Michael are camping with their friends, C., E., J., T., and D. for the entire weekend. They are at the bend on our river and want to catch their own fish and eat them, etc. They are planning to have church down there as well.
I am thankful that Susan deep cleaned her room today and organized her closet and drawers. I am thankful for Sammy Jo's sweet kisses. I am thankful that Susan made a cake all on her own initiative and cleaned everything up. I am thankful that no one was hurt in the tornado type storm in Morgantown. 75-100 mph winds, trees and power lines down, Andy's barn and equipment destroyed, plus his crop of tomatoes and peppers destroyed by hail. He said it was a soul shaking experience. I am thankful for generous friends. Judy said, when I walked in her sewing room, "Take a look around and see if there's anything you want." Plus she gave me several hours of her time to do something nice for Alli. I am thankful for Jamie D's genuine interest in how we were doing when he stopped in today. I am thankful that our well's not dry and that we can water our flowers. I am thankful that Rosalee likes what I am doing with Mother's writings and that they inspire her. I am thankful that we have a property where the guys can camp and that we are close enough to help if they should need us.


Sat.-The boys came up from the river for coffee and supplies this morn. Michael made Jordan some eggs. They had sausage down by the river. They loaded up Philip's truck with a boat, inner tubes, fishing rods, etc. Last night, I had said to them, "Are you going to get homesick being away from your family's for a weekend. One of them said, "I am never homesick when I am here." Another said, "This IS my home." Today, one of them was eating an ice pop and I said, "What a life you have!" And he said, "It is a wonderful life. Life got a lot better when the Hertler's came along." Another said, "Seriously, my life is a lot better because of you guys." Or something like that. I saw Michael smile and he kept smiling and I had to smile and cry a bit. In Pa., we prayed about having a place for youth to come. We were thinking a basement with pool tables, etc. But God gave us a river and a gang of good guys who have seen each other through some tough times.. Instead of playing video games in a basement, they are fishing from their boat. They caught lots of fish today and are frying them up for supper. Chase came late and I took him down in the golf cart. I gave a holler so they would know I was there. I heard there voices but didn't see anyone.
Not only did we want a place for young people, but for over 25 years, Phil and I wanted to have a pastor's retreat. But now we are trying to sell the property where I thought we would have it. And now I am wondering if our pastor's retreat doesn't look more like my little prayer chapel.
What is in our hands? Who is in our lives? This is where it's at. It's not somewhere out there.
This is IT, and IT is good. Bigger is not always better. Simple is best.

Susan and I went to Lindsay's for Alli's shower. She had the front of her house all set up like a tea room. She had linen table cloths, glass plates and tea cups and hot water and tea and iced tea and cold water, chicken salad sandwiches, pb and J sandwiches, sweet potato ham biscuits, raisin scones, sugar cookies, banana bars, fruit on a stick, marshmallows dipped in chocolate...what else...It was beautiful and amazing. She had little game cards and really cool games. Alli got beautiful gifts, practical gifts, and pretty gifts. She was so sweet and gracious. Lisa and I shared some tearful moments (which Betty caught on camera) and we are just both very happy about this whole thing. It is bitter sweet but mostly sweet. This union is an answer to all of our prayers and it is good. Alli loved the soft green housecoat I made her and everyone raved over the purple names Judy had embroidered in the back. Ran errands after lots of loving time with Adi. "I love you, Aunt Annette." Susan went home with the Streams and was going to see 'Toy Story 3' with Emily and Kelli in the afternoon.
Came home and made arrangements for going to Pa. July 2-7. Susan and I will take in two Hertzler gatherings and a Landis gathering. I will see cousins I haven't seen for 30 some years.
I'm watering the gardens because God is not. Please God, send rain soon.
I am thankful for everything I just wrote about; the boys camping out and the fun they are having, Lindsay's generosity, creativity, energy, and Gil and the girls. Oh-when Gil came in at the beginning, I asked him where the girls were and who was taking them and he said that they were staying there and then he just looked at me and then I realized that I had been holding Adi in my arms since I got there and Emma was on Alli's lap. Oh well, I am thankful that Adi is such a part of me, that I didn't even realize I was holding her. I am thankful that I am getting older and that not only do I forget who I am holding, I also forget who I was mad at and why. (Has nothing to do with anything but it's true.) I am thankful that when I asked Lindsay if Adi was sleepy (because she was laying tight against me) she said, "No, she's just absorbing." I loved that. I love Lindsay's way with words. I am thankful for Alli's thankfulness and the way she read the words on her cards and thanked people for what they wrote before she even opened their gifts. I am happy to have another lover of words in my life. I am thankful for the quiet house and for time to be alone. I am thankful that Phil thanked me last night for keeping the house clean and for keeping tooth paste and other things on hand so we never run out. It's nice to be appreciated for the little things.
This whole thing I've started about writing down three things I am thankful for every day is really making me look at everything through thankful eyes. I am always looking for something to be thankful for. It makes me happy.

Sun.-Awakening Song-"How great are you Lord..How great is your mercy.."Church today. Adi fell asleep in my arms. She remembered that yesterday at the party, I invited her to sit with me in church. Sermon from Luke 9. Pastor Frank exhorted us to count the cost of discipleship. If we follow Jesus, we cannot count on having a place to lay our head. We will need to let the spiritually dead behind and we cannot look back. I am wondering what this looks like in our lives. How do we do this? What does it mean? Where else would we go? Only He has the words of eternal life. And this is the work of God, to believe on Him whom He has sent.
Came home and ate sweet corn, cucumber salad and Chinese casserole. The guys who spent the weekend went home after they had a late breakfast and church service in our house. Phil and I went over to see Freeman and Alli's new home. It is a nice place with land and a great deal of potential. There are even some fruit trees there. Came home and watched a movie about a butler that Mark B. wanted Freeman to see in order to learn how to act like a butler for the dinner theatre coming up. So hot even in the air conditioning. Played Dutch Blitz with Phil and Susan in the eve.
I am thankful for good friends, for Alli's sweet thank you note, and for Susan's blonde hair. I am thankful that God answered a prayer for a friend who has been praying for years about a situation. I am thankful that Kim was in church today and that she seemed good in spite of her injuries and long path of recovery ahead. I am thankful for a wise friend's counsel tonight to keep the peace of God in my heart, and to not operate or respond to someone out of coercion but out of His peace.

No comments: