Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Greatness

I've been thinking about greatness and humility.

It was a few days before Jesus death and He was trying to warn the disciples about what was going to take place.

Have you ever tried to tell your child some particularly bad news? Sometimes, we speak in the third person when we have something difficult to say. Instead of saying, "I am going away," we say, "Mommy has to go away for awhile." It seems to cushion our words and make them not so personal.

Jesus did the same thing. He said,"The Son of Man will be delivered up by evil men...and He will be crucified...and rise again on the third day," instead of saying, "I am going to die." But the disciples didn't get it. They started talking about who would be greatest in the kingdom. They had selective hearing.

I think it is interesting that Jesus didn't scold them for wanting to be great. He said,"If you want to be great, then be the servant of all."

There is a verse in Philippians 2:3,4 that reads, "...let each esteem others better than himself....look out not only for your own interests but also for the interests of others." Jesus did this when His disciples wanted to discuss greatness rather than sympathize with what He was facing. He esteemed their needs and talked about their greatness instead of His death.

John the Baptist said that Jesus was preferred before him and that Jesus must increase and that he, John, must decrease. He finished out his service to Christ in jail and was then beheaded. But he's not in jail now. I am sure he would tell us it was worth it all.

The other day I was at Walmart and there was a lady in front of me checking out and I thought, "This woman is better than myself. Her interests are more important." And I didn't feel put down. I felt free.

Now I am working on applying this at home.

I would like to be great, I think. At least in God's eyes. I'd like Him to slap His Father on the shoulder and say, "Look at her! Isn't she great?!" I think He might do that when no one else sees what I am doing. I think He might do that when He sees me preferring my husband's desires over my own. I think He might do that when I think the right way. I think He might do that when I realize that the least one in the kingdom of God is even greater than John the Baptist.

Everyone matters. Everyone counts. And they are better than I am and their desires are more important than mine.

The upside down Kingdom looks like the King of Kings taking a towel and washing His disciples feet. And we get to do the same in remembrance of Him.

No comments: