Saturday, May 7, 2011

Old Treasures and New

When I read the Bible, I often ask God to show me something new.

Sometimes I feel let down if that doesn't happen.

But then it came to me, yesterday, after experiencing this,
that the reading and meditating on Scripture is not always
about a revelation of a new thing, but is often
a reminder of an old thing.

I thought back on what I read
and instead of feeling disappointed,
I became thankful.

Thankful for the reminder
that He has come to give me life,
and that more abundantly.

Thankful that He is the vine-
drawing nourishment from the earth
and imparting life to all of His branches,
whose job in life is to remain attached to Him.

Thankful for the reminder that he who passes
by and meddles in an argument not his own
is like one who takes a dog by the ears.
(My Grandpa Landis would do this with
Charcoal, our cocker spaniel.
Charcoal would snarl and try to bite
Grandpa's meddling hands away from
his poor dog ears.)

Thankful that the Lord does nothing
unless He reveals His secret to His servants,
the prophets.

Thankful that He wants to reveal His
Son in me.

We read things we've read before,
hoping to see something new,
but really, most of the time,
we need to be reminded of what we know.

Old truths are just as valuable as a new revelation.

And just because we 'know' something,
doesn't mean that it's become
an integal part of who we are.

Just because I ate mashed potato soup once
doesn't mean that I don't want to eat it again.

Each time I eat it, it provides some sort of
nourishment to my body.
and gives much warmth to my soul,
especially when eaten as a traditional
lunch with a dear friend.

And, I might add,
when one reads and meditates on
the familiar words of God,
one can more easily recognize the
introduction of a foreign gospel,
just as when a unsavory herb is introduced
into one's familiar potato soup
and so changes the integrity of the recipe.

So, enjoy the new revelations God gives
you as you read the Scriptures
but do not negate the familiar words
that add cement to your already
firm foundation.

Both are very important.

No comments: