Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Hertzler Doings~May 2-8, 2011

Mon.-Had a nice breakfast with Mom and Dad. Said good-bye to Mom, Dad, Jim, Debra, Jordan, Logan, and Taylor. Logan promised to come see me this summer. Headed to BB's and loaded up on discount products. Spent a lovely 45 min. with Mother.(She brought me up to date on the news of Bin Laden's death.) She looked so pretty and classy in her salmon turtleneck and gray sweat pants. I put on a good front when I say good bye but always cry as I drive away. Got on the turnpike around 11 and got home at 6, I think. We met Phil, Michael, Jordan, and Chace on 29. I said good bye to my son while traffic whizzed by. "Don't cry, Mommy," he said. He is headed to Winchester to set up his Vector/Cutco office for the summer. He will live on his own in an apt. One of the first deficits he noticed caused him to hop over to Walmart and buy the largest pack of toilet paper they sell. Janelle and Micah came over in the eve. I removed one tick from his back but even Philip couldn't perform surgery on the one completely embedded in his arm. We put on some porter salve and a band-aid. Checked face book/emails and found out that Eric and Gracie's daughter died at home. So sad. And Dave Wilkerson was killed in a head on tractor trailer collision. My friend, Sally Jo, was his secretary in NY. She took our small group all around NYC when I was about 20 years old. ///I am thankful that our puppies grew even cuter while we were away. Philip taught his pup to sit on command already. I am thankful that PA was experiencing spring so the beauty of spring was extended for me. I am thankful that Michael's been doing his own wash for many years and that he knows how to cook, etc. I am thankful for his dear friends who kept Phil company on the way home. I am thankful for traveling mercies. I am thankful for this lovely past memory of my mother.

Tues.-Rough night. Coughing kept me awake. Slept about 4 hours. Lots of pollen in Pa. It was Teacher Appreciation Day. PTF served us Babcock House sandwiches, cookies, and candy on a beautifully decorated table. It looked like we were in Hawaii. They also gave us Walmart gift cards. Select choir learned a new song for grad. "Stayed upon Jehovah" or "Like a River Glorious." They already know most of their four part harmony. What a joy to work with them! Made Rosa's antipasta salad for supper. Take lettuce or a bag of salad. Add ripe olives, pickled artichoke hearts, pastrami, shredded cheese and tomatoes. Toss with Italian Dressing. I made a mix of Italian, Lite Vidalia Onion, and Ranch dressing. Did three loads of wash and finished survey for Insurance company. Played with puppies and got to bed before 11. Had quite a storm and lots of rain.///I am thankful to be home. Phil and Philip also said how good it was to have us home. They also realized how much work we do around there and how hard it is to keep up with things. I am thankful for the three boy sopranos-Blythe, Andrew, and Logan-and the way they sang "The Star Spangled Banner" with complete ease and freedom. I am thankful for chapel and the words of confession and worship that quiet my soul and help me love God more.

Wed.-Michael called me at school. I will pick up the class ring he needed to reorder since he lost his. But then, he found it again. So now he'll have two rings. He got the second one for $30. It will fit him better. He seems to be doing well. He spent over a hundred dollars at Walmart laying in supplies-TP, Paper towels, dried milk, etc. "I miss you, Mommy. I love you." I am sure he will be okay. I am not sure that I will be okay. I am not sure how Philip and Susan will be. He is the type of person that one can really miss. I basically have laryngitis probably from PA allergies. When I laugh I just make silent sounds and it makes me laugh more. We've been practicing "Lo in the Grave He Lay" for the PTF meeting next Monday night. All of the boys in the school sing the echo part and the 5/6 grade boys sound like rappers. "He arose...HE AROSE!" they chant. Took Susan to youth group in the eve. after a quick Walmart trip and then went over to Missi's to visit with her and Nanette; my Italian girls whom I love. Cheri stopped in later and we reminded each other that our birthday is coming up. We are exactly 10 years apart in age.///I am thankful that Phil looks so happy as he works on his tractor. I am thankful for the white lilies that Christ Church gave me. No one else had claimed them and they were in my sink at school. Phil was tickled too. I am thankful for these school children. I want to love them fully every day that I have with them.

Thurs.-Busy art day. Finished up mother's day gifts. I ironed the batiked handkerchief's and pressed them and folded them until they were a nice rectangular shape. The children made beautiful envelopes out of creative memory paper and we sealed the sides with colorful dot stickers and then placed the handkerchief inside and sealed it with a fold and a butterfly sticker. They wrote things like, "You are the best mom ever," and "Happy Mother's Day." Some of them wondered if they could give them to their mother's right away and I said yes. We also painted bonfires on black paper and splattered white paint for smoke and red, orange, and yellow paint for sparks. We painted black logs in the fire and then I put little marshmallows on little sticks and hot glue gunned them on to the paper as if someone was holding them over the fire. I hung them in the hallway with paper entitled "Summer Fun" by K-2. Mrs. K. said is seemed like she could move closer to the fires and get warm. I made the children real s'mores in the oven and they got to eat them in art class. Graham and Susan helped me clean up and then we went to Country Charm and got ice cream while Doreen got her hair done and we also went to get some strawberries before dropping Graham off. I wasn't home long when Phil called and asked if we'd bring some rakes over to O'Briens. He was burning down an old barn and the fire began to get out of hand. I went over to Happy Valley accidentally, thinking that's where he said he was, but it worked out because Philip was mowing there and he dropped everything and drove us over. Susan rode in the back of the truck and had a cold ride. Phil was in pretty good shape by the time we got there. He just kept making circles around the fire, tramping out the grass flames with his feet. The fire had dried out the grass and that's why it caught on fire. We left him there with a rake and came home and made some toasted cheese sandwiches for supper. Susan and Philip then went over to HV and Susan got a mowing lesson from Philip.///I am thankful for God's compassion and healing touch on Phil's life. Last night, he told me he thought he had done irreparable damage to his neck. He was lifting up a trailer to attach it to his truck and something popped in his neck. He was sure he blew a disc. But today, he has not noticed it and we are so thankful for answered prayer. I am thankful for the little chicks that are hatching in Cynthia's Kindergarten room. It is so exciting to watch them peck a little hole and slowly emerge from their sheltered existence. The little children couldn't wait to get into their room this morning to see if any more had hatched since yesterday. I am thankful for the sheer enjoyment I receive when I teach art class. I had no idea how much I would love teaching art. I am thankful for the funny story Susan told me on the way home about when Chi Alpha was here last week. Philip was calling her "Babe" and hugging her and one of the guys thought she and Philip were dating. The student asked her if she lived on campus or lived here and she said, "I'm fourteen years old. I live here." "Oh, my bad," said he. (Just a side note here-Gas prices are over $4.00 for premium.)

Fri.-Lindsay, Emma, and Adi, took me to the dentist in Lynchburg for a root canal. All of this trouble since super bowl weekend solved in less than an hour. Then we went to Sam's Club, ACMoore, and Millie's store before picking up Susan. I rested most of the day being on anti vertigo drugs and am hitting the sack early. I am thankful for dear sweet husband who pops his head into our bedroom where I am relaxing and reading a book and cheerfully responds when I tell him what he can make himself for supper. I am thankful that he gets sweeter, and kinder, and more loving with each passing day. I am thankful for the gift of sleep. I have been sleeping well for several weeks; better then I have in any other time of my life. No sleep aids are helping me. None, but the Giver of sleep.

Sat.-Susan and I worked like crazy around the house in the morning and then took the afternoon off to go to Heart of Va. in Farmville. I picked up Janelle and Micah on the way. Susan ran around with Kelli and Friends and spent the night with her. She was excited about seeing the fireworks. My favorite area of the festival is the pottery and art work. My other favorite part is seeing all the people. But then I am happy to come home to my quiet farm. I see the buttercups painting the meadow yellow and think, Oh, I missed you dear land that I love. Michael was home to surprise me for Mother's Day. Quite a few of their friends came over for kickball and hotdogs down at the river. The puppies were 'a great help' as I planted two tomato plants, basil, and some Easter lilies out in the front flower garden. They 'helped' me dig and then wanted to rest their weary heads right on top of my struggling tomato plants. I have come to a peaceful decision to focus on raising puppies this year rather than produce and flowers. I am not going to invest time and money into something that will be dug up by little doggies who just want to be with me. There is someone along 460 in Appomattox who has planted hundreds of tomato plants. I think I will buy bushels of tomatoes and go to the cannery and get lots of tomatoes canned all in one day. The old house and our property needs so much cleaning up and organizing and I will have enough to do this summer without pulling puppies and weeds out of the garden. There. That's settled. Good self talk. You go girl.///I am thankful for the opportunity to clean part of the house today. We've been busy with school and the shore and Pa. and the house has been neglected. I am thankful for Janelle's chattiness when she got in the car. "Can you tell I haven't talked to an adult for awhile?" she quipped. I said, "You talk because I don't have a voice but there's nothing wrong with my ears." I am thankful for all of the ways I saw God today in nature, in the art and creativity of people, and in the people themselves. I am thankful for homemade chocolate ice cream even though it was on the salty side.

Sunday-Happy Mother's Day! It was so nice to have all of my children sitting to my right in church. Lindsay was honored today with kind words and flowers and a basket of goodies. Our side of the church got a bit rowdy when her name was called. I am so proud of her. Pastor Frank introduced Lisa in such a sweet way and she was fighting tears by the time she came up. She preached about The Anointing of God on our lives and her sermon was entitled, "What's that Smell?" That smell is the fragrance of His anointing on our lives. She read from 1 Sam. 16:1-13 where Samuel anointed David as the future king of Israel. It was the custom of the day to anoint the one that God had chosen as King. He was anointed to carry out the responsibility that he would assume over his people. One was also anointed for healing and for ministry. The Good Samaritan anointed the wounded man on the side of the road to bring healing to his wounds. The good shepherd will anoint his sheep to keep the nose flies away. Unless anointed, the nose flies would torment the sheep so much that they would go mad, and would beat their face against a rock, and do damage to themselves.

You cannot pour out what you do not have.

The Anointing Decided-
The Decision to Smell-
Make a decision to smell; to carry the anointing and fragrance of God.
The Anointing of David as king was not based on ability but rather on God's authority.
It was not based on Occupation, but on obedience.
It was not based on outward appearance but on the heart.

Do you smell like a king or a sheep? (I am not sure how to answer that question, seeing that we have been made Kings and Priests unto our God, but the Lord is also my Shepherd, and I am His sheep, and I hear His voice, and He anoints my head with oil and my cup runneth over so, I guess...I hope...I smell like both.)

The Anointing Displayed-
The Display of the Smell:
According to 1 Sam. 10:1 a flask of oil was poured on Saul when he was anointed King.
It was not just a little sprinkle. Lisa gave a visual lesson by having Chris kneel on some black plastic and Pastor Frank poured a pitcher of oil over his head.
She went on to say that:
the oil on us is visually apparent;
it is absorbed into us;
it lingers for awhile.
After David was anointed with oil, the Spirit of the Lord was with him, even though it was many years until he became king.

The Anointing Desired-
The Desire to Smell-
We must desire to carry the fragrance of the anointing to a lost and dying world.
The world needs what we have to give them
whether it be healing, salvation, compassion, or hope.
Would to God that people smell a fragrance of life all around us.
Would to God that they would want what we have.
And please Jesus, may our cup overflow, and may your life spill out to all those around us.

Isaiah 61:1-"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon Me, Because the LORD has anointed Me to preach good tidings to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted; To proclaim liberty to the captives, the opening of the prison to those who are bound; To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, And the day of vengeance of our God; To comfort all who mourn, to console those who mourn in Zion, To give them beauty for ashes, The oil of joy for mourning, The garment of praise for a spirit of heaviness; That they may be called oaks of righteousness, The planting of the LORD; that He may be glorified."

The Spirit of the Lord God was on Jesus, because He was anointed to do the above.
Can we say then, that because the LORD has anointed us to do the same, that the Spirit of the Lord God is upon us to carry out His work? What would happen in the church if we had a grasp of who we are and what we have been given as sons of God? What if we opened the gifts He's placed in our hands? What if we truly loved one another? What if we believed what John wrote to the church (recorded in 1 Jn. 2:27a) that 'the anointing we have received from Him abides in us.." Are we looking for something 'out there' when here, all the time, it is within us and we just don't realize that all that He has is ours?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The boys made sausages from Phil's pig and sausage gravy and biscuits for Mother's Day Lunch. Freeman and Alli came over and stayed for awhile. Michael, Susan, and Philip played a card game while we watched Inspector Clousea and took naps off and on. The puppies were entertaining us while we ate and made it hard to hold a conversation with loud arguing and squeals. We have taught them to 'sit' now and it almost seems miraculous. Michael left with some food and supplies and we won't see him until we are all up in Pa. for the baby dedications in a few weeks. Phil called his brother, Joe, last eve., and wished him a Happy Mother's Day. How good it seems to all of us that they have a baby to hold this year. We called Anne this morning and wished her the same. I heard little David crying over the phone but he stopped as soon as he saw her. They were going to ride their big rig in a 'Make a Wish' Foundation caravan this morning. We called mother and mom and Dad got on the phone to wish me a Happy Mother's Day and to tell me that he'll never forget how I got ahold of the concept of being like Sara who did not give into fear.///I am thankful for the gifts of hugs and love and lunch from Michael, Phil, and Philip, and the gift of music earrings from Susan, and the blackberry bush from Freeman and Alli, and their words in their beautiful card that made me cry. I am thankful that Amanda loves Jesus even though He took her mother home, and I am thankful for all of the women who love her and watch over her. I am thankful for the thought provoking word I heard this morning and I am thankful that the Word of God is anointed and will not return to Him without accomplishing its work. I am thankful for all the sweet kind people at church today who wished me a Happy Mother's Day. I am thankful for the four children I gave birth to and for the child of my soul, Alli, and for Gil and Lindsay who are like a son and daughter to me, and for my children God is raising for me in heaven. I am thankful for a mother in law who could not love me more if she tried and for her goodness and joy and wisdom. I am thankful for my beautiful mother and her compassion, and depth, and creativity and humor. I am thankful for my sister, and I weep as I write, for she lost her son not long ago, and I know this day is hard for her. May God comfort her in some sweet Abie kind of way before the sun goes down. I am thankful for life and that although a dear one is in terrible pain, she still has life. I am thankful for helicopters, hospitals, and morphine. Now it is our turn to stand beside Dave as he has so often stood beside us.

No comments: