Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Hertzler Doings~May 16-22, 2011

Mon.-Studied, exercised, cleaned and organize back room which had become a catchall. Half of the floor was covered. Cleaned out Tupperware cupboard and moved it. Put pans, etc. on back room shelves. Cleaned off desk. These are things I've been wanting to do for a month or more. Tried to take all three puppies for a walk to the mailbox. Ridiculous. First Sheriff innocently went head to head with the rooster but he did not remain ignorant for long. They they found something on the road in a tire track that they all wanted to stop and lick. Then they wanted to explore the undersides of tractors. Finally, I grabbed Isaac and held him like a baby in one arm and held the mortgage check in the other hand and huffed my way back to his cage, calling "Puppy, Puppy" in a high pitched pleasant voice but there was too much competition with all the curiosities on the farm. Phil said, "I have to get that check in the mail," so we found the other two who had meanwhile rolled in something disgusting and we plopped them in the back off the gator and took off. Princess promptly jumped off the back but she will not likely do that again anytime soon. Phil let Sheriff and I off at the mailbox and Princess wailed at the separation as they drove off down the lane. Sheriff and I took a leisurely walk back to the house. I threw big rocks into the ditch that had come up when Phil scraped the lane. Janelle and Micah and Corbin came by to pick up Buddy. They had been on a field trip to the Richmond Zoo. Janelle brought her 'zapper' along. She strapped my wrists and hooked in some cords and I felt like I was going o be electrocuted. Freeman and Philip were in there and I told them 'good-bye' and that they could read about their lives in my blog, etc. and Janelle and I thought I was rather humorous but the boys were not amused with my talk of dying and communicated that fact with us which made us laugh all the more but I guess that wasn't very nice to do that to them. Sorry boys.

Later, the sky looked threatening, so I went to put the gator away. I drove up to the end of the lane first and from there I could see the vastness of the many shade of gray piled up clouds. I got back and it rained, Rained, RAINED! Phil and Tom were stuck outside in the out buildings. Philip and Susan played a Monopoly card game while I made a second supper of protein waffles. Lindsay had asked for the recipe and that made me hungry for them. Linds, if you are reading this, I didn't have cottage cheese so I used yogurt instead. I also thought the mixture a bit runny so I threw in a handful of oatmeal and whole almonds which I blended with the rest. Very healthy that way too.

Received a sad call in the eve. We are praying for some dear people we love. As my mother has said, "It's a hard cruel world." But I wrote this to her today. Jesus said, "Be of good cheer. In this world you shall have tribulation, but be of good cheer, for I have overcome this hard, cruel world." Oh, I love Him for that. What if this was all there was? What if He had not overcome? But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory, through our Lord Jesus Christ, and makes His glory known through us, in spite of this hard, cruel world. I am thankful that the love God has for Jesus and others has been given to us so we can love Jesus and others with the same love He loves them with.
I am thankful that the boys don't want me to die, nor do they want me to talk about dying. I am thankful for the majestic color of gray. I am thankful for opportunity and the privilege to pray and that we are given a way out of worry through prayer.

Tues.- Everyone tired at school. Everyone is 'done.' Just a few more days. I gathered art work off the walls with the help of some of the students. I am making big art portfolios for the younger children out of scrap paper maps. I let the older classes decide what they wanted to do in music. 7/8th played basketball in the gym to Handel's music. 9-12th played volleyball against 7/8 during their class period to Handel as well. It's actually quite exhilarating to watch basketball to Handel. I've never enjoyed a game like I did this one. I kept giving out my holler whenever they made a basket and I heard some of them trying to do it too. 5/6 played freeze dance and played with play dough to Handel, or was it Bach. One of the girls got teary eyed as she left me and she came back and gave me a hug and then most of them did and said they would miss me and asked if I'd come back to visit them and I said that I was planning on it. Select Choir worked hard on their grad song, "Like a River Glorious." We talked about the meaning of the words. Clarissa was there in the afternoon and I got to hang out with her for a bit. Came home to the smell of wild turkey that was roasting in the crock pot all day. I made some rice with curry, onions, and raisins and cut up some fresh veggies. Phil and Philip went to get some pigs. Susan and I worked on a song for her to sing at the pig roast. Did several loads of wash and hit the sack.///I am thankful for sweet little Sara, who was so excited that her mother was bringing her lunch from 'Old McDonalds.' I am thankful for Cameron, and her tears and hugs. I am thankful for the students joy-filled summer plans.

Wed.-Woke up to the mocking birds trill. Yesterday, Phil was whistling for the dogs, and this morning, it sounded like he was again only he was asleep beside me in bed until he heard his copycat. Sometimes they imitate the telephone's ring. Finished the book of Jonah this morning. I've always been a bit hard on Jonah. But this morning I read the information about Jonah before I read it and did you know that all of the other prophets were sent to their own people. Jonah was the only one sent to the Gentiles and the Ninevite people were enemies of his people. He wanted to see them destroyed because they oppressed his people. If they did repent and God showed them mercy, then they could continue to harass Israel. No wonder he was upset. Would you want to go give a message of warning from a merciful God to those who have oppressed or terrorized your people? What about that individual in your life who has made life miserable for you, or worse yet, your child? Do you want the mercy of God to bless their lives? I don't think I'll judge Jonah so harshly anymore. But, oh, to love all people, especially my enemies, with the love God has for them...

Cleaned up some more at school. 3/4 graders picked a variety of favorite music activities and K-2 watched a movie in the larger portion of their music time. There is much music in most movies. For lunch, Mrs. Shorter served us her Christmas gift. It didn't suit at Christmas but today, we had pork bbq, chips, potato salad, and baked corn. We had Christmas place mats. The teachers decided that next year, their Christmas gift to each other would be a meal. They will each take a month and make a meal for the others. Maybe that would be a good day to come and visit. I still want to make them my rice and curry meal. The 5/6 graders made me some beautiful cards as did the 2nd graders. I might have to blog them. They are just so sweet and absolutely put me over the edge. Mrs. Jones said that I am not acting like some one who is ready to leave the school. We watched a volleyball tournament between the middle school and high school today. The teachers wanted to play the losers but Dr. H. over-ruled us and made us play the winners which were the high schoolers. We lost but we had the best time losing. I haven't laughed like that for awhile. I hit the ball once and took two aleve as soon as I could. In the eve., Sara and I went to Judy's and had chocolate cake and chips and sweet tea and a high old time.///I am thankful that I am not eager to leave these children and these teachers at this school. I am thankful Mr. S. didn't hurt himself too badly when he dove to save the ball and belly flopped on the ground. At least it looked that way to me. He's not that old but he's no spring chicken. I am thankful for dear sweet Sara and Judy and the way we can take off our shoes and take down our walls and just 'be.'

Thurs.-Felt like a truck ran over me all day. I am sad to be leaving the school at this time but it makes me really sad that others are sad. So, it's kind of a double grief. But I am looking forward to having more time to be with my mother and Phil's parents and our two new nephews. I am looking forward to times at Baines with Janelle and DDF. I am looking forward to maybe getting the old house cleaned up finally. I am looking forward to being home with Susan and having time to work on our health. I am looking forward to writing more and maybe taking some courses on-line. I am looking forward to blogging my mother's journals. She now has two followers and I want to give them more of her things to read. So, today, we had chapel and then we 'practiced' graduation. Mrs. Shorter and I 'sang' Pomp and Circumstance as Allison played and it made select choir laugh and that's a good thing because the music was about to make at least two of the students cry. I about fell off my chair I was laughing so hard and I think the principal told me to straighten up but I'm not sure. Select Choir sang well but they looked like they were in front of a firing squad. We have been working so hard on our four part harmony and we just really learned the words this Tues. so they are really focusing and that's why they look scared. All of the teachers who graduated from college are going to be robed and I am thinking about wearing my maroon velour bathrobe. Some of us drove students over to play Frisbee golf and went back to retrieve them an hour later. The younger students went to AJ's skating world. I am really hoping that one of them did not break her arm. (She did.) The older students had pizza, soda, and ice cream for lunch and then played 'Knowledge Bowl.' Susan's team won second prize and we've been eating it. (some kind of giant candy bar) Mrs. Shorter gave me a beautiful hanging basket with beautiful words attached that was going to make us both cry so she quickly told me a joke. I cleaned out more of my stuff and will have to stay tomorrow after grad to organize the rest of the stuff which is mostly paperwork I should have filed right away. Came home. Rested. Did three loads of wash. Tried to work out more insurance issues. Took a walk with Sheriff who is a bit of a fraidy cat when it comes to big machinery but he's so little and well, he's cute when he wants to be held while he's intimidated by the load roar of the front loader and lawn mower. ///I am thankful for wind chimes and willow tree figures. I am thankful for my daughter's desire to express her thanks to her teachers. I am thankful for a promised lunch with Marcie next week and that the teachers and I will still be friends. I am thankful for all of the invites to stop in at school when I'm out to town next year.

Fri.-It was two years ago, this day, that my sister's son was in a car accident. He and his passenger were killed. Their youngest daughter was on a missions trip to Germany at the time. Today, I believe she is in Guatemala on another missions trip. Pray for her safety. So much has happened in the past two years and yet, it seems like only yesterday when we got the call. I am sorry, dear Rosalee and Jim, and your precious other children, for this awful, unbelievable loss. May God give you grace to live each day. I love you.

Graduation! Bittersweet Day. I am just too tired to write about this right now. After grad, Chelsea took her brother Graham, and Susan to a movie since the bowling alley was full of school children having a field day and then met us back at school. Meanwhile, Doreen and I went to a little tea shop in the Appomattox Gallery and had chicken/spinach/asparagus with Parmesan cheese sauce on a croissant and cucumber/tomato salad and lemon curd with pound cake and chocolate chess pie and hot tea of course. Delicious. Ran to Walmart and came back to school and Doreen helped me get my act together. I will still have to go back for several hours to organize papers but otherwise, every nook and cranny is cleaned out. Brought Graham home while the rest of his family went to see 'Swan Lake'-the production. He and Susan have watched a movie and are trying to practice a song for the Pig Roast but they are also just too tired. Graham is used to sisters and Susan is used to brothers and so their relationship has a brotherly sisterly feel to it and they are great friends. I made them Kroger pizzas/watermelon/salad for supper. Janelle and Micah came soon after we got home and brought cooky dough for us to take to Pa. Then we took a gator ride while Micah held Sheriff on his lap. Then Micah and I loved on each other for awhile before they headed home. He is just so very precious. ///There were a number of very difficult farewells today. And I am thankful that the good byes are difficult and that they are not glad that I am leaving and that I am not glad to be leaving them. I am thankful for the good word from The Honorable Darrel W. Puckett. He was our commencement speaker. I am thankful that it is growing dark and that I can soon go to bed and wake up to a sweeter day.

Sat.-Left home around 11. Stopped at Mother's, Rosalee's, Duck's, at Paul's to drop Philip off to meet Michael, up to Mom and Dad's, and then to Joe's. They were up and almost immediately, Phil had Jonathan in a conversation and those two went back and forth and Jonathan thought his Uncle Phil was the funniest guy around. We got some great pictures. It is fun to be an aunt and uncle at any time, but it is especially fun when you are not worried about where your own little child is and what they are doing. And now all of our children are enjoying these new cousins so very much. Philip was especially enjoying seeing everyone. He hadn't been up for a year and a half.///I am thankful for travelling mercies. I am thankful for these two little boys who have brought so many people together. I am thankful that we are celebrating life instead of sorrowing death.

Sun.-Helped Karen prepare for lunch up in the church kitchen before church. Some 120 or more people stayed after the service for a meal of pork/beef bbq, rolls, coleslaw, potato salad, 7 layer salad, pasta salad, macaroni salad, other salads, pickle, applesauce, cold cuts/cheese, cake and ice cream. People kept saying that it felt like 'Old Hopewell.' The baby dedication was sweet. The woman who had given the prophecy at Petra about the Lord wanting to open wombs was there to pray over them. Some of the family members had prayed especially for these two families following the ministry of that word and that week both babies were conceived and they were born two days apart. It is truly a miracle. Both sis in laws were 43 I think and had suffered several miscarriages. During the dedication, Jonathan and David were being held by their fathers who were standing next to each other. Jonathan kept trying to get David's attention. Some have said that David is going to make the plans and Jonathan will carry them out. The fellowship hall was decorated with blue tablecloths and blue balloons and a table with baby pictures, etc. It was wonderful to see so many people-friends and family, and to be part of this grateful celebration of which God truly did receive the glory. We stayed at church until after 2:30 and left Joe's around 3:15. We got home around 8:30. At one point I saw 93 on the dashboard but then I closed my eyes. I was obviously not driving. Good-byes were not as difficult as some times because I heard several nieces and nephews promising to come this summer for a visit, as well as some others. In the news-(Large tornado tore up Midwest and many lives lost.) ///I am thankful for a safe fast trip home. I am thankful that there was not much to put away. I am thankful that I cleaned the house before we left yesterday. I am thankful for Alli and Freeman who took care of the puppies while we were gone.

No comments: