Monday, May 9, 2011

Hertzler Doings~May 9-15, 2011

Mon.-Relaxing day catching up on computer and paper work. Studied, exercised, putzed around. Was struck with the scripture in John where Jesus washed His disciples feet and then said that we should do the same for each other. We should wash the contamination we pick up from just being in the world off each other's 'feet.' Someone I talked with today felt bad that they need to share some of the burden they are carrying. They had heard someone else say that it is only necessary for God to know their need. But we are told to bear one another's burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ. 'Confess your sins one to another, and pray for one another that you might be healed.' By so doing, we wash each other's feet. "Blessed are you if you remember to do this," said Jesus. Is it easier to wash another's feet or is it easier to have someone wash your feet? I don't think either one is easy. Both have to do with service and humility. Heavy hearted about some things. Christi Plank was in a four wheeler accident last night. Her helicopter went right over our place. Today she had surgery on her cracked hip. Talked with a friend who is in the midst of a 'besieged city' with no way out. Oh Lord, show your great love to her and her family. Went to PTF tonight and helped with two songs the children sang, "Lo, in the grave He lay" and "The Star Spangled Banner." The school children have the honor of performing the National Anthem at the Hillcats Game on June 6. Each child who sings will receive two free tickets for their parents or guardians to attend the game.///I am thankful that Philip discovered the struggling puppies before they died. They drank fly poison back in the barn. How did they get back there? Phil called his brother Jim and he said give them milk and water-as much as possible. They could hardly walk and were foaming at the mouth and convulsing. They are doing much better but their eyes look drunk and they walk a bit crooked. I am thankful that Emma (4) is so certain that she is going to marry Philip (22). She looked at her mother with skepticism when she told her that she could marry Philip when she is 25 if he'll still have her but to remember that as she is growing older, he will be growing older also. I am thankful for PTF meetings that last 25 min. and that we got home less than an hour after it started. I am thankful for Philip's excitement and joy over the purchase of his own property across the road from us.

Tues.-My 53rd birthday. Missed Mother's call in the morning but now I have it saved. I still have David and Margaret's Happy Birthday song recorded from last year and nobody had better erase it. It's the one and only time they've done that they said. Heard from all my siblings and that was so very nice. Also received oodles of face book well wishes and determined again to wish people Happy Birthday when it's their special day. One the way to school I got a flat tire. Thirty seconds later, some folks that go to our school stopped and took Susan to school. Almost everyone who drove by stop to see if I needed help. Freeman came and gave me his car to go to school and then the guys took care of getting the car to the garage. We needed two front tires. They sang Happy Birthday to me in chapel and I almost couldn't keep it together. I will miss them all so much. Attended the middle school's play twice today. "The Emperor's New Clothes" set in a hippy generation pulled the class and school together. Mrs. Shorter did a fantabulous job as did her helper, Mrs. Loy. Susan played a tricky tailor. Philip had played the same part in the co-op when he was home schooled in 5th grade. She was so good. Clear, loud, and graceful. Phil, Philip, Freeman, and Alli came to the eve. performance with me. I am framing some of the children's artwork at school to hang in the hallways. I love the way they are turning out.///I am thankful for another year to have lived and another year closer to seeing Him. I am thankful for the high schooler, who wanted to sing "I Surrender All" in music class. He has a hunger and thirst for the things of God and I pray that nothing hinders it in his life. I am thankful for the chiropractor took me in as a drop in and worked on me over an hour after school. Been having lots of trouble with my neck and shoulder. I am thankful for 'Evans' picture of Jesus dancing on a rainbow and how beautiful it looks framed with sponge painting around the mat and his hand print and signature on the right side.

Wed.-Music Day. Spent free time working on art framing. Catori drew a picture of her dachshund named Frank. Get it? Hot dog dog-Frankfurter? Took me longer than that to get it. 3/4 graders made a birthday card and signed their names, with "We're going to miss you." Everything makes me cry these days. Women's Ministry meeting in the eve. Met Cheri and Missi at Rosa's Italian Restaurant where Missi treated me to supper and Cheri, my decade twin, gave me a big helium birthday balloon attached to a lollipop. We sat outside at the corner table and had a good time. Phil had a tub of water ready for me when I got home.///I am thankful for the value of every life and the unique personality He's given to every individual. I am thankful that Susan sees beyond the appearance of someone and sees their hearts yearning for God. I am thankful that I get to hear PAlvin's message on the way home. I am thankful for warm water, soft beds, and a God who hears.

Thurs.-Select Choir sang, "Like a River Glorious" in four-part harmony in chapel. It was beautiful. I worked on some more art and ran hither and yon, getting a haircut, dropping off kite art to be laminated and Pig Roast invitations to be copied and cut. In the afternoon, the middle/high schoolers came in and helped me with the younger children. They tie-dyed white T-shirts to be worn on Field Day next Thursday-the last official day of school. Picked up our things from the Village Print Shop while Susan picked up two hand-dipped cones. We missed our time with the Loys. Susan needed to get back home to meet up with Freeman. He and Philip shot crows and ground hogs before he took Susan back to their place. She went along with them to the New Life play that eve.-'Mid Summer's Night Dream'. Everyone loved it.///I am thankful for a night at home. Three nights out in a row is too much for me. I am thankful that the puppies have suffered no ill effects from the fly poison. I am thankful for the book, "The Relationship Principles of Jesus Christ" by Tom Holladay, and that once again, I've read a book that I want to start over and read again.

Fri.-Not sleeping well the past three nights. Many people need prayer. Also having much shoulder pain. The Lyme's treatment may cause me to feel worse before I feel better and I wonder if this is what is going on. Lyme's Disease hides in your cells and hides in white blood cells when you take an antibiotic. I'm going with an alternate route and if Lyme's is being released in my system so I can finally get rid of it, that would explain some of my symptoms. Tidied the house, made supper, washed clothes, exercised, took a nap, worked on insurance processes, walked with Janelle, ate supper together, made popcorn, watched Madegascar 2. Good to be with Micah and his active mind. Talked about Thai's eating live red ants and I said, "I believe your father used to eat them with his eggs" and his mama nodded and he grinned.///Thankful for the Fed Ex envelope and what it contained. Thankful that Phil picked up Susan for me. Thankful for the nest in my old sneakers on the back porch. It contains 6 wren eggs and a diligent mama bird. Thankful for the barn swallow nest on our front porch. Now we're greeted with diving wings and scolding out front and a whisk of quiet wings out back. We'll soon have to start using the side door for safe entrance/exits. Thankful to be starting the Psalms over again. Impressed with the words, "The Lord knows the way of the righteous but the way of the ungodly shall perish." So the way of the righteous has nothing to do with perishing and has everything to do with LIFE. How nice to consider that the Lord knows my way. So many ways to look at that.

Sat.-Relaxing day. Did some washing, cleaning, blogging, napping, walking with Alli, baking, cooking, etc. Didn't get done nearly as much as I had set out to do but was relaxed about not getting it done.///I am thankful that school is almost out. I am thankful for the lovely cool spring weather and drizzly rain. I am thankful for the way the puppies cock their heads from side to side when Susan sings to them through the window. I am thankful for the way Philip and Susan play card games at any time of the day they happen to sit down at the table.

Sun.-We're starting to train our puppies by bringing them into the house one at a time. They all know how to sit and wait before they receive a treat. Sheriff, my puppy, is the loudest and biggest. He doesn't like to snuggle. But his eye contact makes me feel so loved. He communicates what he wants via much whining. Princess, Phil's little girl, adores him. All dogs adore Phil. He trained the little wild dog in Kenya in a few minutes and everyone was amazed at him. Called him the 'dog whisperer.' Philip's puppy, Isaac, knows his name and his master. Every time I hear Philip saying, "Isaac!" I 'hear' the words, "In Isaac shall your seed be blessed."
Went to church. Enjoyed Sunday School. I thought it was the best chapter in 'Love and War.' It was entitled, "When Storms Ascend." It gave helpful truths on what to do in certain situations.
I had decided this week to no longer blog the sermons for various reasons most having to do with my own insecurities. But I must respond to what I heard today since it spoke to the deep places in my spirit and some of the key scripture referenced was the same that I read before coming to church. (Eph.4) It is all important that we know God and are known of Him and it is He Himself who gives us that sacred thirst for the living water that flows from His life into ours. It is in searching for Him and learning to know Him that our spirits are awakened and as the church is awakened, those who are far from God will be drawn near, and revival will take place. Jesus has the keys of life and death and all authority is His and He has given the church His authority and His set of keys. This morning, I imagined Him locking the keys into my belt loops. They are keys that will set the captive free and open blind eyes. There are keys that will open the truth of the gospel. Jesus gave gifts to the church and all of these gifts are meant to be used to equip the saints for the ministry and edify the body of Christ so we come to a place of unity, intimacy with Him, fellowship with each other, and maturity as believers. Just as the Spirit of God hovered over the face of the deep waiting for the Word of God to be spoken so He could help create the world, so the Spirit of God hovers near us, waiting to hear the Word of God come forth out of our mouths, so He can create life and harmony out of chaos. Moses wanted to see God's glory and God revealed Himself as a God of Mercy, Grace, Longsuffering, Goodness, Truth, Keeping Mercy, forgiving iniquity. The revelation of who God is sounds almost like the list of the fruit of the Spirit, which makes perfect sense. The fruit of the Spirits work in our lives would make us like God. John 17:26, Jesus prayed that the love with which the Father loved Him would be in us...that we would love Jesus as much as God loves Him. This is a gift from God. Oh, God, let the love you have for your Son be in me and the love you have for your church be in me and the love you have for the lost be in me, O God, full of mercy, grace, truth, and Goodness, be in me.
(And this is the response to the sermon I wasn't going to blog anymore but just basically did. It was a very good word and I receive it with gladness.) I was thinking also, in the natural, I decided to go beyond thinking that I want to eat better and exercise so I feel better. I decided this week, that I want to be an athlete. I used to be a decent athlete. I was skinny and lean and muscular. I threw shot put and ran relay races, and long jumped, and played varsity softball and volleyball and we won the trophies. I was a lifeguard after I had my first child and could swim 20 laps. I fought the panic I feel when my head goes under water by saying the Jesus Prayer as I swam in rhythm, "Jesus Christ (stroke/breathe) Son of the Living God (stroke/breathe) Have mercy on me (stroke/breathe) a sinner (stroke/breathe)." That's how I got through those 20 laps to pass my test. Life has thrown me some neck injuries and Lyme's Disease, etc. etc. and my muscles are weak and my joints hurt but I have done a switch-around in my mind and instead of thinking "I've got to feel better" I've started to think,"Athlete..I am an athlete" and the switch in my mind has taken me from survival mode to triumph mode. I said all that to say that sometimes I am intimidated by the attack against the church and I just want to feel better and survive. But I am doing a switch in my mind. I am not just going to survive, I am going to overcome. He has, afterall, given us the keys of the kingdom. The gift of His authority is in my hands! God's authority equips us to do mighty exploits for the kingdom. Knowing God is about becoming like Him and He's not afraid of anything! "Let there be..." and God created. I say those words too. "Let there be unity. Let there be open doors. Let there be healing and wholeness and love. Let there be peace. Let there be rest. Let there be love and the knowledge of God. Let there be light. Let there be growth. Let there be life. Let there be hope. Let there be forgiveness. Let there be friendship. Let there be trust. Let there be liberty. Let there be laughter. Let there be tears. Let there be comfort. Let there be God in our midst." Holy, Holy, God!
It is said that in the natural, we do not use more than 5% of our brain. I wonder how much we use in the spirit of the 'brain' that God has given us. How much of His gifts have we used? We can't possibly use them up. There is more where they came from if we possibly could use them up. And the sad thing is, if we don't use the gifts we personally have been entrusted with and the gifts God has entrusted us through the gifts in the body that we are also responsible to use, then we will not experience the results that would be ours if we used those gifts. Eph.4:11-16-I Love this chapter! "And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; that we should not longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine,...but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head-Christ-from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Susan went to Amy's after church and has a leadership meeting for VE in the eve. Phil has a meeting to attend as well. I stayed home with the puppies and the stormy clouds and blogged after sleeping all afternoon. Missing Michael. ///I am thankful for the forecast of thunderstorms for most of the week. I am thankful for the jangle of keys by my side. I am thankful that no one gives you keys unless you have the authority to use them. I am thankful for time alone.

No comments: