Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Hertzler Doings-Aug. 27-Sept.2, 2012

Mon.-Still in Pa. Got together with Janet Z. and Shelly K. at Aroma's cafe in Elverson. Had the best cinnamon/brown sugar with cream cheese bagel. Caught up with them but it wasn't long enough. Went with Mom and Susan to Boscov's and found some funeral clothes for me, but none for Susan. Went to lunch at Giant's cafe and then to Annie's. Mom went home after awhile and Annie took us out shopping to Dress Barn where we still found no funeral clothes for Susan. Susan and I both found summer tops and Annie found some funky earrings. David was a little angel in the store. She took us back home. Mom and Dad had already eaten by the time we got there.

Tues.-I went to Naomi's and had breakfast with her at 7:30. Fresh peach pancakes and honeydew. Got to see Ashley and Krissy and Mabe. I parked the car on Mabe's wet grass again. Naomi said it will grow back. Sorry... Naomi loved her silvery birthday gift. She called into work late and we got to spend an extra delightful hour together, sipping cinnabon flavored coffee. Went from Naomi's to sister, Rosalee's. We went to Brethren Village to pick up Aunt Esther. She's 91 and beautiful. She kept telling us how wonderful we were and how attractive we were and treated us to lunch at the Lititz Restaurant. I got chicken croquettes, mashed potatoes, cucumber salad and chocolate ice cream. We went back to her apartment and talked about the end times and other things of that nature. Aunt Esther is a vibrant human being and is always positive and life-giving. She is the only sibling alive on my father's side.
Rosalee and I stopped in at Glennwood Foods on the way home and I got a big block of Farmer's cheese and other goodies. That evening, Dad and Mom took Susan and I to Thai Place. Susan and I both got chicken cashew with stir fry and rice. Everywhere I looked, it reminded me of Thailand and of Johnny.

Wed.-Susan and went to Aroma's and ordered some bagels for tomorrow. Then we went to BB's and loaded up on gum, shampoo, and mayonnaise, etc. at discount prices. We also stopped in at Reuzit shop and visited with Aunt Deb and Aunt Karen and picked up a few items. I love buying Land's End shirts that look new for a few dollars. In the afternoon, from 1-5, Mom hosted a drop in for me. Helen B. came with her three adopted daughters from China. Lizzy, Joy, and Julianna. They are in the 15 year old range. It's like having triplets. They are gracious and talented and we got to hear them sing and play the ukulele and Joy drew a picture for me. Susan and the girls played Dutch Blitz while the rest of us visited. Helen brought me a German Christmas bread-stollen and a journal and a real pearl necklace she got in China. Dad showed the girls around the farm just before they left. Anne L. came. It was her 68th birthday. Lisa B. and Lucille Z. also came and Bev came later to especially see Susan. There was never a dull moment the whole day. Mom was in and out, visiting at times, too. I really liked having a drop in like that. A number of friends had wanted to come and it didn't suit, so maybe next time, we'll make it an all day affair. We had lots of food ready for the day and Mom made iced meadow tea. Then in the eve., Pearl had another drop in for me at her place. It was great to catch up with dear old friends and to hear them catching up with each other too. We've scattered to different places and life has changed but I think they are going to start back up getting together more often now. Linda H., Anne W., Jeannie B., Brenda G., Deborah K., Carol B., Bev W., Pearl B., and I were there. Every one brought a healthy snack and we sat out on the porch. Pearl had sand in old blue glass jars with candles burning in them, giving everything a muted glow. She had square glass vases filled with pink floppy roses. Beautiful. So thankful for dear old friends, where you can pick up where you left off. Got home around 11:30.

Thurs.-Went to pick up Anne and little David. Her car wasn't working. Phil came up for Uncle Milford's funeral and brought Susan her dress black pants and dress shoes. He was driving Philip's car. He took Susan to the funeral and we met them there. It was good to see so many old Hopewell friends and to visit with family. Milford was the oldest of 8 children who lived into adulthood. Phil's mother is one of his younger sisters. Uncle Milford passed away Friday night. He had just talked with Phil on Thursday. Phil went to see Milfords' son, Dennis, this past Sunday. As I looked at Uncle Milford in the casket, it hit me hard, that Susan wouldn't be here,(nor our other children) if it weren't for Uncle Milford. He saved Phil from drowning when he was 16. (Phil later shared this story during the meal.) I told her my thoughts as we stood there looking at him. During the meal, others shared what Uncle Milford had meant to them. All of his siblings and their spouses got up and sang several songs. "Love at Home," and some others. Phil and Susan left to go back home then. Phil had gotten up at 3 this morning to head up and headed back home shortly before 3 in the afternoon. They took Lucy with them. (Plans to go spend the afternoon and night with Diane H. and leave for home from her place were changed due to her work schedule.)
I took Anne and David back home but first we stopped at Reuzit again because I had seen some blouses there that I thought might fit her. While there, we realized that there was a bad fire in Morgantown. Fire trucks and emergency vehicles went whizzing by. Black smoke kept exploding into the sky and later we found out that the paint shop at Morgan trailer had a fire and the cans kept exploding. So far, I know of only one person that had gone to the hospital. Took Annie home and visited with her for awhile. I was so tired and she made me lay down on the floor and take a nap while she rubbed my feet with some sort of pepperminty Arbonne miraculous foot goop. It was wonderful and she sent it with me. I love her. I want to keep coming up and seeing the little boys every few months. They are my two youngest nephews, David and Jonathan, born two days apart, little miracles. Their parents didn't know that the other was naming their child after one of the Biblical friendship duo. They are as different as morning and afternoon. One has worked on his motor skills and the other has worked more on his verbal skills. We compare them because we enjoy their differences. After I left Anne's, I went to Weaver's Orchard and took pictures of their high tunnels. We're interested in setting something like that up on our farm to grow tomatoes, asparagus, berries, and fruit trees. Ran into Ed and he told me that Linda was working at the pick-your-own stand so I chased her down as she raced around on a 'gator' and we sat and visited for awhile. Then I stopped at Joe and Karen's and sat beside little Jonathan who was eating frozen blueberries and he began to plop them into my mouth.(force feeding) Then I went home to Mom and Dad and we relaxed up in the living room, watching the Republican convention, while I showed them the pictures that folks had posted on face book about the Morgan fire. Mom made me a delicious tomato, lettuce, and cheese sandwich. We went to bed before Romney got on stage because we were so very tired.

Fri.-Took my time to have breakfast, conversation, and prayers with Mom and Dad before heading back home. Karen brought Jonathan over for a last good bye. He came right to me and sat on my lap and ate half a banana and stirred sugar in my coffee and helped himself to a sip. (The boys are 20 months old now.) I headed home and ate too much candy and got very sleepy. Stopped in Harrisonburg, after calling Naomi to get directions to the Dayton Farmer's market. I walked around for about half an hour to try to wake up but I probably should have just slept. Fought sleep the whole way and got home around 5 after leaving Pa. around 9:30. Happy to be here. Got every thing put away and hit the sack.

Sat.-Susan had come home a day early and she had things looking nice. I did my wash and puttered around. We went to Larry R's party in the afternoon. That man can croon. I wish I could hear him sing more often. If he had a recording, I'd play it every day. I think most of us were crying as his voice broke while singing love songs. Songs that made him remember with fondness and longing, his late wife, Louise.
Tim and PLou also sang. Phil sang some hymns with his guitar and every one loved that. At one point, one of the men were singing a love song and two couples started slow dancing and it was beautiful. I turned around and asked Susan, Freeman, and Alli, if they would be embarrassed if Dad and I got up to dance and Susan said a bit too quickly, "Yes." So that was that. Again, I felt the riches. In Pa. I was so aware of the wealth. The wealth of a Word from Dad's mouth before every breakfast. The wealth of family and entrepreneurs who are related and pastors and friends and the land. And at this party, I was aware of the wealth again. The wealth of knowing love songs and being able to sing them like that! That man could be in Hollywood, and he's singing in his own little back yard. The wealth of passionate slow dancing by a couple in their 60's. The wealth of a young man saying, "Praise the Lord," when he saw Susan, because now there was someone else there his age. The wealth of the kind man who helped a young man get through 'Amazing Grace' with dignity. The wealth of delight and worship in the hymns and Miss Baker's hug and words, "You two must have a good time at home singing those hymns together." Again and again it is brought to my attention that people, young and old, are hungry for the hymns. They are hungry to hear each other's voices singing them. They are hungry for that which will never go out of style. They long for consistency and constancy. And the hymns offer that stability. They offer the character of God and our experience with Him. And they offer fellowship with one another as we sing them. No one stands out when hymns are sung. The focus is on the God of the words and the voices of His people singing them together.

Sun.-My favorite worship leader was leading a song when we walked into church this morning. (son, Freeman) More people were back in church today. Summer vacations and panic regarding the unknown are winding down. PAlvin spoke about Daniel's courage. To sum it up: {Daniel remained constant in his courage when he found himself in an unchangeable situation because he was constant in his courageous communication with God in the little things before he faced the lion's den. And the unchanging God received the glory because He stepped into Daniel's unchangeable situation and rescued Him. Prepare yourself. You will perform the way you practiced.}
I think Daniel would have served God even if He had not delivered him from the lion's mouths. (Of course it would have been hard to serve him if he was eaten up.) Sometimes, our circumstances are not changed. Sometimes, our husband's do not come back to life when they are dead. Sometimes, our leg does not grow back the muscle and tissue that was destroyed in an accident. (These two situations are close to my heart.) Sometimes, God does not rescue us out of our circumstance. Then what? Will I love Him anyway? Will my faith handle having my God box blown to bits? Can the God that I thought I knew, the God that I thought would protect and rescue, make way for the God who is deeper than the God who rescues me out of whatever lion's den of life I am thrown into? Can my thoughts of a protecting-me-from-all-evil-God survive the surprise of a God who allows evil to make its mark on me? Is a God who is present with me no matter where I find myself big enough to defend Himself after He has destroyed who I thought He was? I read a book earlier this week entitled, "Because I can" by Janet Oberholtzer. She nearly died in an accident that took a large portion of her leg below the knee. She was a marathon runner. She has experienced more pain than most people can bear. I thought of her story as I heard the sermon and I have been trying to reconcile these two story worlds. They have collided in my mind and they are wrestling around in there.
Came home and visited with Michael and Philip, Jordan and Travis, before they headed out to Lynchburg-Hibachi, Liberty, volleyball, and fishing. A whole new world has opened up to them. We watched some Monk. Alli and Freeman came over and we visited while watching a puddle producing thunderstorm make its way across the fields. I stood on the back porch and shouted as it came. Angel had insisted on coming inside. Ollie was near us on the porch but he stood placidly in the rain because he was prepared. He had prepared himself in the pleasant times by being consistent in oiling his feathers so he was prepared for the unpleasantness of a wild rain storm. The wet drops rolled right off of him. One could preach on that. Oh, one already did!
Went to bed shortly after 8 and slept for a good 8-9 hours.

No comments: