Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Hertzler Doings-Sept. 10-16, 2012

Mon.-Slept in. Phil here. Hadn't slept well without him. Susan and I went out for dental check ups. Her teeth are 'perfect.' They wondered when she had gotten her braces off. (She never had braces.) I'll need to go back. Good thing Susan can drive. Went shopping afterwards but for some reason Susan was anxious to get me home. I slept for at least two hours until the antivert drugs were out of my system. I still can't believe I act the way people tell me I act when I am on them. Or say the things I supposedly say. Did some wash in the eve. Phil went out for a meeting. Susan worked on her drama reading for tomorrow. Gave Philip his birthday gift tonight instead of tomorrow, in case he wanted to receive it in a different way. He was happy with the way it came.

Tues. Happy 24th Birthday Philip! He had a great day. People were texting him all day wishing him a happy birthday and on the way home, Freeman treated him to a caramel latte or something like that. I made his favorite venison/rice/salad/dressing dish plus carrot cake and ice cream. He was too full to finish his dessert. Susan and I went out to Farmville for her first homeschool co-op classes on Human Anatomy and Drama. Two separate courses but I imagine there will be some drama involved in the anatomy class. Went to Walmart while she studied and then to Merck's with Judy. A table full of ladies kept giving me the eye because Judy was making me laugh so hard, especially when she told me about the phone call she made to her brother in law on his birthday, (even though it wasn't his birthday but she thought it was.) She said I could tell the story on here but I told Susan instead and she said, "I love her. I'm going to do that to Philip some day." The game warden was here today and I looked out to see what they all were doing. Ollie was up on the hood of his ranger and and the game warden was acting as if it was an every day occurrence. Later, they clipped the wings of the new baby chicks. We hatched them from our eggs and they are beautiful, says Susan. Today, when I made the carrot cake, I made a little double layered cake and then I used the rest of the batter for cupcakes. After I iced them, I put them in plastic containers, and now, Philip can take them to work in his lunches and we won't all be tempted to eat carrot cake all week. I think I'll do that with all of the birthdays from here on out. Especially since we have three in September. Oh, at supper, Philip said, "Guess who called me today? Emma!" He was pretty pleased about that. I think she was too.
I just checked my stats. This week was the first week I noticed that there were more people from Russia that read my blog than those in the U.S. Makes me curious.

Wed.-A good day. Naomi called and we got all psyched up about going to the shore. She laid down the law. "One suitcase each." We are taking her smaller car instead of Bev's SUV. We hung up screaming squeals of excitement. Talked with Lindsay and she listened and encouraged and asked me bean soup advice. Talked with Emma too, who babysat the little ones during their Mom's meeting. Susan worked on Anatomy, studying hard, because she'd like to clep the test after taking the course. Plus, she really likes it, but said it is much harder than Biology. She organized her summer/winter clothing and got rid of more stuff. I brought some of our winter clothing in from the old house and have been doing wash. Also dusted the book shelf and am working on organizing the back room. Made a potato quiche for supper and used a sweet potato in with the mix of regular grated potatoes. Added broccoli, spinach,garlic, and turkey bacon to the egg mixture and then made a side dish of mushrooms for the mushroom lovers in the house. Phil's out mowing hay. Philip and Susan went to CC for the eve. Mickey called and said she saw a bear running really fast across the field. There is no way we could outrun that bear, she said. We saw a gray fox with red markings near Rainey's the other night. And Ollie, our wild turkey, was so overjoyed to see Phil that he was running around in circles, just like a puppy that he thinks he is. Beautiful wildlife everywhere we look. The weather is cool at night and fall is in the air. I love this time of year second best.

Thurs.-Phil home working on a bid and mowing hay. Susan 'did' school in the morning and mowed at Happy Valley. She ran out of gas and we went to Pamplin Exxon to fill up the cans and met another lady doing the same thing. "What does this mean?", she joked,"when the women are out filling up the gas cans?" We saw her later, mowing a field with a tractor. I finally got to the back room today and organized the closet and the floor space clutter onto shelves and rubbermaid containers. Now I can get back to the piano. Made bear vegetable soup in the crock pot for supper. It was pretty good. I'm still a little reluctant to eat bear meat.

Fri.-haircuts-house cleaned-ice cream cake-Cleansing Stream group here-Philip shot a bear for crop damage-10 feet away-the guys joined him to help him load it-and it wasn't there. Found it a few feet away.

Sat.-Susan, Alli, Freeman went Goodwill shopping and Golden Corral eating in Lynchburg. Guys butchered bear. Made pizzas for supper. cleaned bedroom. Had a nice Sept. birthday party with the family. Reminisced about childhood memories. Through a series of events, I am considering the possibility that I may be wheat intolerant. As I thought about the memories of childhood, I realized how hard we tried to be good parents. There's a lot of things I didn't do right. I said that to God and I think He said back, "...so you can boast in My grace and not in your great mothering."

Sunday-Susan drove us to church in the big white truck since the car battery was dead. Ollie decided to ride on the back and Susan accelerated and swerved in order to dislodge him but he was determined to get to church. After all, he's been reading Phil's Bible for some time now. She had to back up and Michael helped us get Ollie off the truck. Ollie ruffled his feathers and acted indignant. Got to hold Tate in church for a minute or two. He 'climbed' up me and sang loudly. He could see his dad in the sound booth and he kept beaming up to him while he squirmed in his mother's arms. The service was sweet and Jesus was there already when we walked in during the first song. Pastor Jerry taught on Noah's faith and courage to obey God. Came home and spent a relaxing afternoon watching movies, eating leftover pizza, catching up with a few friends on the phone, talking with Jordan, Travis, Michael, and Philip. Mike went back to Liberty and Philip went over to the guys. Didn't sleep most of the night. The combination of ice cream and pizza made me sick again. No more wheat and ice cream for 6 weeks and we'll see how I feel then.
A friend reminded me of the verse in 1 Peter 5:7-Amplified version-"Casting the whole of your care-all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully."
Too often, I worry, as if I didn't have a God who cares.

No comments: