Saturday, September 8, 2012

You are What you Eat

The other day, my 15 1/2 year old daughter got her permit on her first try.
Besides normal congratulatory words, I said, "I'll treat you to lunch." She opted for a large $12 container of berries from Kroger. Blueberries, red raspberries, black raspberries, and strawberries. She shared them with me.

She had earlier shared an insight from a health article she read. The idea is this: If we ate what we are eating now all of the time, what would we look, feel, be like in one year, five years, ten years.
Because eventually, we ARE what we eat.
We become what we eat.

This morning, I read Ps. 37:3-"Trust in the LORD and do good; Dwell in the land and feed on His faithfulness."

FEED ON HIS FAITHFULNESS.

We get to choose what we feed on.

We can feed on His faithfulness, or feed on our fear.
We can feed on His faithfulness, or feed on bitterness and unforgiveness.
We can feed on His faithfulness, or feed on the praises or scorn of man.

If we fed ourselves-our spirits and souls-
on a consistent basis on what we are feeding ourselves now,
what would our spirits and souls look, feel, and be like
in one year, five years, ten years?

Because eventually, we are what we eat.
We become what we feed on.

Feed on His faithfulness.
Feed on the honey from The Rock.
Feed on the finest of wheat.
Feed on the Bread of Life.
Feed on the Good Pasture.
Feed in the Strength of the Lord.

Shortly after I read that Psalm,
I walked out into the living room
and read my C.S. Lewis quote for the day.

In 1994, I gave my mother a little flip-chart calendar
with quotes from C.S. and she used it faithfully
year after year.

I have it now.

Today's quote was this:

"God gives what He has,
not what He has not:
He gives the happiness that there is,
not the happiness that is not.
To be God-
to be like God and to share His goodness in creaturely response-
to be miserable-
these are the only three alternatives.
If we will not learn to eat the only food that the universe grows-
the only food that any possible universe ever can grow-
then we must starve."

I don't totally understand it.
But I get this much.
If we don't feed on the food of His faithfulness,
then we will die.
Because we don't just starve by not eating anything.
We starve by eating the wrong foods instead of the right foods.

I've been thinking about these things.

No comments: