Saturday, September 29, 2012

Hertzler Doings-Sept. 24-30, 2012

Mon.-Had breakfast with Ashley, Krissy, and Naomi. Vanilla yogurt and granola. Naomi is counter-topless until Wed. morning. The food from her pantry graced the whole of her dining room table and she may be without water to wash dishes unless it is hooked into the dishwasher. She wasn't sure and was going to make a phone call before trying it out. After we said our good byes, I went to Shady Maple to get some gluten free products and fresh produce. Saw Uncle Ollie while I was there and talked with him for awhile. Then I went to BB's and then to Mom and Dad's. Jim and Joe jumped out from the barn and gave me a slight fright and we talked about GMO's and how they benefit cattle. Went into the house and chatted with Dad about the upcoming reunion and the Easter Islands and the stock of people around that region. Then he congratulated me. He said that most people congratulate men on finding a good woman. He congratulated me on finding a good man. An excellent husband. He told me he appreciated that Phil got me a good car to drive and bought me a gator when we moved to Va. and built me a chapel. I said, "He is a fine man. Thank you for helping to make him such a wonderful person." He humbly bowed his head and said, "Praise the Lord," in his gentle way. After prayers and more conversation, I went over to see Karen and Jonathan. They were mowing the lawn. She had him strapped in with her and he looked about half as tall her. Then I went up to see Mom at Hopewell. Mark said, "What a pleasant surprise," when he saw me. She is working on a quilt and hopes that the rest of it will get finished on Wed. at the quilting. She wants to get it done for the school auction before they leave for their trip. We visited for awhile and then she walked me out to the car. She always kisses me on the lips when she says hello or good bye. I have the best in laws in the world. I am blessed in every way. Finally, I was on the turnpike by 12:15 and arrived home about 7:45. I stopped for about half an hour at Marian's Fabric Shop off Molly Pitcher Rd. and bought a tubular scarf pattern-everlasting scarf, and I got two pieces of material to make four scarves. White lacy and chenille pink. When I got home, Phil, Philip, and Susan helped me carry things in and put them away. Got to bed soon after 10. The windows were open and it was cold outside. Snuggling weather.  I miss Naomi and Rosa, but it's good to be home, in my own bed, next to Phil.

Tues.-Catching up. Took Susan to co-op. Went to Walmart. Picked up Susan. Went to tractor supply and got a cushy bed for Angel. She's getting too old to be outside in the cold and I'm praying for a very cold winter in order for all the bugs-stink bugs and ticks especially-to freeze to death once and for all. Home again. Doing wash and unpacking. Made pizza for the combine men. Chicken, potatoes, salad, and green beans too. In the sack soon after 9.

Wed.-Susan not feeling well. Stomach and chest pain. I had more laser done to my left leg. Gil called with happy news. (not expecting) Made wheat free granola and instant oatmeal mix from new book on making homemade things.

Thurs.-Picked up 50 baby chicks at the post office. Dentist at 11:30. Came home and slept. Susan to Dr. at 4:40. Long story short-she's being treated for asthma, allergies, and acidic stomach. She could only breathe out at 54% capacity. She should feel better soon. Guys were combining corn until late.

Fri.-Made food to have on hand for weekend. Bear meatloaf, baked sweet and regular potatoes, rice and beans, salad with lettuce from garden plus peas, turkey bacon, hard boiled eggs, and feta cheese. Cleaned up all porches and outside bathroom. Susan feels so much better with her inhaler. She mowed Happy Valley and worked on photography editing. Phil and Freeman worked in Richmond. Philip finished combining his corn and as he was unloading it into the grain bins the back of the dump truck opened up and spilled the corn onto the ground. He had to hand shovel it into the holding area. He also got a hair cut and went food shopping for his party tomorrow.  Michael and Jordan came late afternoon. Mike told us about Liberty's convocation with Donald Trump. He enjoyed him so very much. We watched Andy Andrews, his favorite speaker, from last October's convocation. Andy said that there is one thing you can do that is far more effective than getting a college education. The secret is this. Smile while you talk and also nod your head.  He said it better than that. Watched a Monk later in the eve. with Phil and Susan. Started a new Thanksgiving journal.

Sat.-Busy day doing wash and cleaning up and preparing for Philip's party in the eve. At one point, Susan, Philip, Michael, Travis, and Jordan, were all cutting up vegetables for the chili. We cooked several pounds of bear meat too. Philip started the chili around 3. After getting the kettle hot over the fire, he added 6 pounds of cut up bacon and cooked it down for awhile and then added the bear meat and simmered the meat together. Then he added the beans, tomatoes, juice, vegetables, chili spices, and 2 pounds of brown sugar, and several packs of homegrown corn. He heated everything thoroughly and the vegetables were still crunchy when we bit into them. He used 3 red onions, 4 green peppers, 2 red peppers, 2 yellow peppers, and 3 bunches of celery.  Meanwhile, we used the apple thingamajig that cuts the apple in spirals, only we used potatoes and made curly potato fries using the outside turkey fryer. People started coming around 4 and they kept coming and we had at least 20 some people here. They played volleyball, Rook, and sat around the fire and talked. They made s'mores and ate more chili and fries. It looks like a full moon outside. I bought some clackers at the shore and Michael especially has been determined to master the skill of making the balls go around. They have lights inside of them and they are especially impressive in the dark. I'll try to list who all was here for memories sake. Freeman, Alli, and the rest of the family. Hamilton, Travis, Ricky, Jordan, Cynthia, Stephen, Tyler and Sara, Joel and Ashley, Tommy T., Erik and April, Samantha, Becky G., Jeremy, Becky's friend whose name escapes me right now but she is studying Women's Ministry at Liberty and we had a nice conversation-Chelsea!, Dawson, one of the Coblentz boys whose mother baked an incredible cake for Philip, and I can't remember who else was here. Ollie and Angel wanted to be a part of everything. Becky said that she thought Ollie must think he's a dog. He most certainly does. He followed me into the house this eve. to have a look around. He liked being with everyone. He's not shy at all. He just doesn't want us to touch him. But I get pretty close. I am thankful for the full moon and the candles burning in the old blue jars with the sand from the river bank holding them in place. I am thankful for the fire. I am thankful for The Light of the World. 

Sun.-Overslept until 8! Was at Journey class by 9:30. Winding up Cleansing Stream. Next stop-the retreat. Pastor Jerry spoke about Gideon. God uses unlikely people and unlikely methods. Had spontaneous company for lunch and served them leftover chili. Nice time. Read most of the afternoon/eve. from one of George MacDonald's books. Alli and Freeman stopped in and Susan went with them to musical tryouts. Michael went back to school. Philip went to hang out with the guys and then later went over to Joel and Ashley's. I am thankful for gentle strength and for those who ask interesting questions. I am thankful for leftover chili and for the freedom to be who we are. I am thankful for a day of rest and reading. I am thankful for family and friends.

No comments: