Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Hertzler Doings-Sept. 3-9, 2012

Mon.-Last night, Emma connected with Phil. Emma is 6, I believe. She has been discussing with her family all of the things that Uncle Phil can build. She was missing him so she had her mommy call. Phil laid on our bed and talked and talked with Emma. Now he is talking about wanting to go up to visit her and her family. Maybe he'll join Susan and I on a road trip one of these days.
Phil was home working on his office and doing paper work. The Internet has been out for several days so this makes office work difficult. Susan studied most of the day for her learners permit test. I finished up last years schooling and organized this years schooling. It's about time! Phil and I worked on getting the weeds out of the cold frame and then I planted beets, green beans, and lettuce.
I quizzed Susan and learned a few things myself about the laws of the road.

Tues.-Took Susan out to Farmville to take her permit test. We had to use the big white truck since my car was at the garage. The boys dropped it off on their way to work. I thought it was going to come apart at the seams when I would put on the brakes as I drove home from Pa. She was nervous and so was I but the lady at the DMV was so very kind. Susan finished the test quickly and came out with her thumbs up. Missed one question out of 35. We ran several errands in Farmville and she drove us home from Walmart. Did a great job, too. We unloaded our groceries and then we headed out to Appomattox. I had a dentist appt. and actually 'needed' her to drive. I still need to take some meds for vertigo when I go to the dentist. We stopped at the post office on the way home. They were doing road work and the communications weren't real clear between road workers/signs and driver's. She navigated those difficulties and also did well with the torrential rain. I find I am changing. Instead of wanting her to not experience those conditions, I want her to experience them, so she knows what to do. Maybe it was the meds, but I don't think so. Came home and I went right to bed and slept almost 3 hours. Michelle M. stopped by with Maddie to visit. It was interesting to watch Maddie and Lucy get acquainted. Both are boxers. Maddie is 7 years older than Lucy. I went to bed early and slept through the night. Not sure what every one else did.

Wed.-Officially started school today. We will have chapel three times a week for half an hour. We have a bit of Bible, logic, vocab., and for this month, I am also reading, "Every Body Matters'" by Gary Thomas. I'm chalking that book up under Bible and health/fitness. Then we discuss the schedule for the day and off we go. Susan worked on British Lit after we got back from the chiropractor. She drove again and I am really relaxed most of the time she is driving. She did her wash and made delicious burgers for supper. She mashed white beans and baked sweet potatoes with a few other ingredients and fried them in a pan. We ate them in a round flat bun with a bit of mayo, tomato, lettuce, and avocado. They were incredible! Phil got to drive with her for the first time. She drove him to Calvary so she could go to youth group. Philip will bring her home. He's hunting with Travis until dark. I've been trying to catch up on correspondence etc. Caught up with Judy and Janelle on the phone. Wrote 10 days of Hertzler doings late this afternoon and again realize that when I am behind in this writing, I feel behind in everything. Caught up with Sara a bit today, too, and I put her on speaker phone while I made fruit shishkabobs.(I was telling Sara what I was making and Susan said, "Be careful how you say that.") I sliced bananas and gently tossed them in orange juice. Then I pierced a grape, a banana slice, and a piece of kiwi and repeated that sequence several times on wooden skewers and then froze them. The recipe said that we should drizzle chocolate over them before freezing. I didn't do that. We'll pull these out when we need something sweet. Another thing I want to do while watermelons are still in season is this. Blend the watermelon and put in muffin tins or little containers and freeze them. Tastes just like Italian ice. Yumm. Time for me to go check why Lucy is barking and to clean up supper dishes and finish wash. But at least I am caught up with my blog.

Thurs.-overcast and rainy. Guys working around here. Phil went out to Lynchburg to pick up some supplies and met Michael for breakfast. Had fun researching fish ponds and smoke house plans today. Susan read the whole first chapter in her Anatomy book-45 pages, for several hours. She helped Phil grade our lane that has been washed out with all these torrential rains. She stands on the old grader as he pulls it with the tractor to give it added weight. I did some more work on the computer, signing up for Cleansing Stream retreat and booking our hotel. Also ordered Susan's driver's online course. Freeman and Phil left in the afternoon to help with fixing up a cabin and Philip, Susan, and I headed to Farmville where he dropped me off to get my car. It needed 4 new tires. I went to Motley's Emporium and picked up an older version popcorn popper in order to roast green coffee beans. Went to Walmart and got a keyboard for Phil's computer and some other goods. Meanwhile, Philip and Susan went out to Concord to check out a truck. Susan drove. Alli was here when I got home and Philip was taking a nap. He's worn out. Alli went with Susan and I to meet Ashley Z. so Susan could ride with her to New Life in order to play basketball tonight. Alli and I came back and watched two Monks. Philip hung out with Travis for the eve. Thinking more about Sunday's sermon and Hebrews 11. Daniel was a man of faith. And God delivered him from the lion's den. There were those whose stories we are reminded of in Hebrews 11 who died without receiving the promise. Some were tortured and others received their loved ones back from the dead. All were people worthy of being heralded for their great faith. Jesus told Paul that he would suffer many things for His sake. Paul's faith wasn't shipwrecked when God did not deliver him out of all his troubles. God's grace was sufficient for him when life gave him too much. I'm thinking of these things. Daniel suffered through the transitions of life.He was captured and was taken from his homeland as a slave. He remained consistent in his loyalty to God no matter which political leader he was serving. He was not swayed by any political, spiritual, or emotional wind. He was steadfast. He and Joseph are my mother's favorite men. David ranks up there too. And of course, Jesus. To think that she is getting to talk with them face to face is mind boggling. I feel a little jealous.

Fri.-Philip worked around the farm today, cleaning up the barn and getting it ready for his piggery. Susan did school work and mowed. I cleaned and incorporated the two old wooden tool boxes into our kitchen counter space. Went down to the river and put sand in old blue jars for candle holders. Alli came over and we took Susan to Jenny's for a sleepover and then we dropped off yard sale items at Helen's. Alli and I watched a red box movie-'The Way.' Or something like that. Martin Sheen. Good movie. I want to watch it again. Made me want to travel. I thought of the places I've been-Mexico, Canada, all but the three western coastal states, Spain, Dom. Rep., Thailand, England. I still want to go to Alaska with Phil and to the Holy Lands. Australia. New Zealand. Switzerland. I am enjoying the Drive Thru History series because it is filmed in different parts of the world. I want this guys job.

Sat.-Philip's been running a fever for two days-achey and tired. He went out to the Liberty game in spite of not feeling so good. Maybe he misses his brother because he was better when he got back. He grilled some venison on our grill for the tailgating party before the game. Alli spent the night and the morning with us. She and I went to pick up Susan at Jenny's. Susan mowed the lawn 'hayfield' over at Happy Valley for the second time in two days. I cleaned up the house, did wash, etc.

Sun.-Phone call from Phil assured us he'd be home around 3. He and Freeman were up at the hunting cabin for work weekend fixing windows and visiting with the guys. We had a good service at church and then a church business meeting in the eve. Susan, Kelly, and I went out to La Parota for lunch. Phil was here when we got home. Susan and I watched 'Mirror Mirror' while he caught up on sleep.

No comments: