Friday, January 18, 2013

Hertzler Doings-Jan. 14-20, 2013

Mon.-Mark 12:37-"And the common people heard Him gladly." Rained all day. Still nearly 70 degrees. I like having chapel three times a week again. Made Mystery Meat given from someone else's  freezer. Turned out to be a rather large leg of lamb. Delicious but I have mental blocks that prohibit my enjoyment of the final product. Tidied house. Did wash. Susan colored her anatomy coloring book. Alli came over for lunch and a movie-"Serendipity." We watched a baking DVD as well. Took Susan to meet Ashley. Susan's knee and neck are bothering her. Neck is still probably hurting from that girl pulling her ponytail during the game.  I have found out several things about myself during this basketball season. #1-When I forget myself, I am really loud. #2-I am not a pacifist.///I'm thankful for Anne Lamott's book-"Plan B". Although her language, political views, lifestyle, and theology sometimes makes me squirm,(enough disclaimers?) I find myself laying her book down and weeping. She makes me love Jesus more. I am thankful for this quote from her book, spoken by her vet who was helping her help her old dog die peacefully. Anne says, "I gave her morphine, prayed, talked to her softly, and called the vet. He had me put the phone beside her head, and listened for a moment. "She's really not in distress," he assured me. "This is hard work, like labor.  And she has you, Jesus, and narcotics.  We should all be so lucky." This reminded me of my mother and again, I had to cry. Because, in the very end, she did not need narcotics, as we had feared she would, and in the end, Jesus and a gentle night nurse, were by her side.

Tues.-Have been praying these verses for our family, church family and families, and our nation. Combined NIV and NKJV-Phil. 1:9-11-"I pray that our love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, that we may be able to discern what is best and approve the things that are excellent, that we would be sincere and without offense until the day of Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God." Raining and colder. Hugh F's strawberries have begun blooming and a grandchild has already eaten two ripe strawberries. They were going to plant 10 more acres of strawberry plants on this past Sun. afternoon. Went to homeschool co-op. Susan had drama auditions after Anatomy class. She recited "IF" by Rudyard Kipling. Andrew said it made him feel like a failure. Afterwards, I took her to basketball practice. I had lunch with Marilyn F. and somewhat caught up with her. Ran errands and went to Judy's instead of Walmart. Had a nice time with Sammy Jo and her mama and papa and grandma. Had my laptop along and checked into face book and answered some emails. We still have no internet. Went to Susan's game in the eve. and sat with Marilyn, her daughter, and granddaughter. Her grandson was playing on the other team. We had fun hollering for opposing teams and clapping politely for the other. They want me to teach them my Aborigines mating call which comes hurling out of my diaphram and vocal chords whether I want it to or not after our team makes a basket. Guys all came from work to watch Susan play. Alli met Freeman there. The other girls team wore intimidating black suits cut out at the shoulders and they were tall and thin and buff and they loved 3 point shots and they won. Susan's shin splints were hurting her badly. Bethany's shin splints hurt so badly she couldn't play at all so Susan played the whole game minus about 20 secs. April, the coach, thought that the fourth quarter was the third and didn't do as much subbing as she had wanted to. The crowd was quieter and the girls felt sluggish. Jenny's arm was wrapped. I blame the rain for every one's mood and heavy bodies.///I'm thankful for a renewed friendship with Marilyn F. Thankful that Sammy Jo waits at her grandma's window, watching for me. Thankful that on face book, I got to see a picture of Adi, and her creative way of making a natural surrounding for her train set with the scarves I sent her in the mail.

Wed. I talked with someone this week whose husband has left her for another woman. She said that he said that 'they' have never been so godly in their lives. I have seen this before-this sense of 'false peace' that accompanies deep deception. I thought about God and what little I really know about Him. The Godliest thing about God in my eyes is this: He will never leave me or forsake me. So, if a person is truly godly and is God-like, he would never leave or abandon his family. I thought about how blind is the one who says, "I see clearly" and how poor is the one who says, " I am rich and have need of nothing." How hard it is to relate to someone who thinks they walk in truth but are so obviously living a lie.
Had a great day with Susan and caught up with a number of friends on the phone. Found out why we don't have Internet. The Internet provider had lost our credit card info. so they couldn't automatically deduct their fee so we had a back balance due to their own computer glitch. They did give us some money back but this has been pretty frustrating.
Rain continues. Snow in forecast for tomorrow.
///I am thankful for friends who are happy to reconnect and don't make me feel guilty for not being better at keeping in touch. I am thankful that although it is easy to cross the line from truth to deception, it is also very hard to do so, because God bends over backwards to keep us far from the edge. I am thankful for this wonderful day with my daughter.

Thurs.-Mark 16:14-
"He rebuked them for their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they did not believe those who had seen Him after He had risen." When they saw Him, they believed. But they didn't believe another's testimony. We do that, don't we. I do that. Someone says, "Jesus did this...I saw Him here." and I say, "Sure you did. Uh-huh. Uh-huh. Okay...See you later." Sometimes, until I see Him do the same thing with my own eyes, I do not believe and my heart is hardened. Sometimes it is hard to believe when people seem flaky. But maybe, I miss Jesus sometimes, because I don't look past people's flakiness. Jesus rebukes with words of relationship. 'Why did you doubt? How long must I put up with you? When will you believe? Where are you going? What are you doing?' Words of relationship. Why. How. When. Where. What. Like a reporter who cares about me personally, Jesus invades my life with the fellowship of uncomfortable loving questions. Thank God, He never says, "Shame on you," to His beloved. Why would He put on us what His blood has taken away? Shame makes you squirm and then freezes you in the very mire you are trying to get out of.  But He does ask the hard questions of rebuke and turns around and gives His once doubting disciples and still doubting us these great words of commission. 'Go into the world around you and preach the gospel. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved. Whoever doesn't believe will be condemned. And those who believe will have signs that follow them. In my name they will cast out demons and speak with new tongues; they will take up snakes and not be harmed. If they drink poison, they won't get hurt and they'll lay hands on sick people and they will get well.'
And then, without so much as a fare-thee-well, He was received back up into Heaven and sat down beside God's right side. And the disciples did what He commanded and everything happened just as He said. 
Went out to Farmville to run errands and go to a meeting. Sent Makenzie her package. Got lens replaced in my glasses. Walmart. Mirror replaced in mother's oval frame.  Started snowing after I got home. Got at least 3 inches. Guys got home just as it started around 5. Ate a supper of bear/venison meatloaf, potatoes, cheesy cauliflower, cole slaw, and pumpkin cake with cream cheese icing that I had frozen since Christmas. Watched some Three Stooges. Logan fell asleep as he sat in front of my easy chair. Went to bed by 8. Phil and I talked for awhile and listened to the rolling thunder that seemed to last for a minute. It began to rain and the lightning was fantastic. ///I am thankful that every one is home. I am thankful that Philip's ugly pink jeep is beautiful with its coating of snow. I am thankful for Lucy's surprise and joy over this cold white fluff.

Fri.-Slept late in the morn. Close to 8. Guys all home. First sight of today out my desk window was Philip in a red hoodie, walking with bags of bacon in hand, and Ollie, running after him, as if he didn't want his feet to feel the snow. A little black calf got out and ran happily across the front yard, kicking in delight, and Lucy chased him and finally came back after Susan yelled for awhile. All morning until after two, Philip and Logan and sometimes Susan and I, were working on preparing the food for Calvary's Edge retreat. Philip volunteered to make all the food. They cut up gallons of peppers, onions, and celery, and fried bacon and sausage and bear meat for breakfast, chili, and spaghetti. Will be serving 40-50 people. They cleaned up after themselves really well, thanks to Logan. He's even vacuuming now. I think he is homesick for his clean house and his mother, father, and brothers. Phil ran out to Lynchburg and I literally, have spent an hour or two, catching up on my blog.(10 days worth) The snow is melting and we've lost about 3/4 of our snow already. But it is still beautiful. The sky is blue and Philip is walking around in a t-shirt outside. Studied for Sunday School class while Susan and Phil ran some errands. They took a door to Dave P. and visited with Sheriff and then went and picked out some movies. Logan and Philip went to The Edge Retreat at Marv's and Joel's with their truck packed with food. I made some popcorn and Susan made some bean dip and we watched 'Hugo.' Jeanne and John had recommended it to them when they stopped to talk as they walked along Hixburg Rd. It was a lovely film and one I recommend.///Thankful for time to catch up on blogging and for time to study and for a nice eve. with Phil and Susan. A number of friends on face book have posted that they have been without power for over 24 hours. One said that she can see her breath in her house! I'm thankful we have electricity. ;)

Sat.-A great Sat. at home, cleaning the house, doing wash, sweeping dog hair off the porches, etc. Phil worked at gathering scrap metal all day. Michael helped him and then tried to fix his speedometer with Travis's help. He came home in the afternoon and watched a new Bourne movie with Susan, Sarah, and I, and then went back to work on it some more. We made pizza and caramel corn and Sarah brought coconut M&M's. She had to leave by 5. Susan cleaned out the chicken house and worked on cleaning her room and the bathroom. Philip and Logan are still at the Retreat. I studied for the Sunday School class I am teaching for Dianna tomorrow. I haven't taught adults for a very long time and I don't think I've ever taught men and women together. Please Jesus, help Your point get across.///I am thankful for a warmer day and that Sarah invited me to come over to the sofa to snuggle with her and Susan. I am thankful for an evening at home. I am thankful for Phil's footsteps on the back porch.

Sun.-Great morning at church. Teaching on The Lord's Table and The Table of demons. Visual lesson from a difficult passage. Sunday School class went well. Taught on meditation. Went out to eat with the Qualls after service. So thankful for their time with our church. Came home and Phil went to check on otter traps. Grunerts came over for a visit and it was wonderful. I love hearing articulate smart friendly people say what they want to say. Watched two movies with Phil and went to bed. Meanwhile, the kids were scattered. All were at Calvary and then Susan went to Lapps, Philip came home for a nap and went back to Lapps for the game. Michael and Logan went to Uncle Tom's to play games and then Michael went somewhere else I think and then came home and got his things together and went back to Liberty. Logan and Meredith went over to Warren's. Phil and I have been experiencing some empty nesting.///I'm thankful for good friends for our children. Thankful for The Bourne Legacy and Last Ounce of Courage. Both movies are about ethics. They just portrayed these values quite differently. Thankful for the Lord's table and that He is present to partake with us there.

No comments: