Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Hertzler Doings-Jan. 21-27, 2013

Mon.-Profitable day. I love having my daughter at home with me. She spent the morning making healthy food and reading about healthy things and then she buckled down and studied several chapters in Algebra 2. After BB practise, she worked on Anatomy. I exercised right after my Quiet Time which always seems to add hours to my day. Everything else I did was a bonus. Tidied the house, caught up with paper work, sent some letters in the mail, ordered some things on-line, played with Lucy and Angel in the sun, took my vitamins, drank lemon/cucumber water-lost most of the stiffness in my left knee.Drinking water is the answer for so many infirmities and dehydration is the cause of so many of them. I also tacked down more of The Last Supper. It's so big that I can spend an hour on it and only a small area gets tacked down. I want to find a place that will make a gold plaque that has Richard Putt's name engraved on it so he can be honored for crocheting it. The Abbey wants to display it and there may be other church's who want to do the same but, someday, it will welcome people into the foyer of our new home.  Phil went out to the mall with Dave P. to look at the work scope of the new TJMax. He's building it. Someone from the Republican committee called to talk with Phil about his future involvement. He turned them down a year ago because of his schedule and not much has changed since then. ///I'm thankful for this wonderful day and Susan's happy conversation. I'm thankful that Lucy enjoys being free outside and that she's so adorable. She wanted some of my brussel sprouts the other day and she laid her head on my knee and looked imploringly into my eyes and I just had to share them with her. I am thankful that I am full of hope for this coming year for our family, our church, and our nation.

Tues.-Laurel brought Henry over. He was sound asleep in the car and I tried to carry him in. He woke up, looked at me, and laughed outloud. What a delightful child! I took him to town with us. We dropped off Susan and then went to Walmart. He took off down the aisle and I had to chase him-which he thought was great fun-and buckle him in-which he did not like. I grabbed a bag of cheese sticks and opened them as we shopped and he ate 9 1/2 half of them throughout the day. It's all he ate. Laurel's going to get me for that trick. When we checked out of Walmart, he said, "Thank you" to the clerk. As we went to leave, he said again, "Thank you." She was busy with the next customer so he answered for himself and said, "You're welcome!" She stopped what she was doing and said, "So sweet." "I know," I said, proud as a grandmother. It was so cold that I quickly changed my mind about other stopping places and went instead to Judy's. She had told me earlier in the day that I could stop by even if she wasn't home. She was working and Henry and I enjoyed her house to ourselves for nearly 2 hours. He led the way back to the toys as if he had been there before. He promptly lined all the cars up in a row. We watched some Barnie as he lazily sprawled on my lap. I made him a little nest on the floor, thinking he'd go to sleep, but I don't think it entered his mind. I finished off Judy's banana bread and made a cup of tea. She had a box of tea and sweetener on the counter, waiting for me. What a friend. I met Laurel in the parking lot near the church office in town and he didn't want to leave me. She was smart enough to feel good about that. I went to Miller's and bought some bread making supplies. An older gentleman commented on the weather as he got ready to leave the store. "It's as cold as a mother-in-law's kiss." I never heard that one before. Met Betty G. at Perini's and did some catching up over salad and sweet potato fries. Went to Susan's game. They played well but lost to the other team but not by much. Met Pastor Betty's little 'Ho-Ho". (little lap dog) He's a cute as a button. Medishare called and I need to have my results in soon which means I need to lose about a pound and a half a day for the next seven days. ///Thankful for Naomi's call-shore dates planned for end of April!!! Thankful for a house in town and a friend there to make me welcome.(Been missing having Lindsay in town.) Thankful for Henry and his sweet mama.

Wed.-Our heat stopped working in the coldest night of the year. Boyer's came and had it fixed by 10. Needed a new motor. Running so much better now and will use much less electricity. Susan wasn't feeling all that great so she watched some American 'history' movies-'Tucker' and 'Last Ounce of Courage.' Henry came mid-morning and was here until about 5. He is so smart and well-behaved. He loves to draw and organize things. Yesterday, it was cars in a row. Today, he lined up all our refrigerator magnets on my bathtub edge. I made Kool-aid Playdough for him and he played with it for an hour while I cleaned up and worked on a New Life Lions fleece scarf-colors-blue, white, and gold. When Laurel came, he was not ready to go. Susan carried him out to the car and he cried when he had to leave her. Later, Laurel couldn't wake him up. He was sleeping so soundly. Philip and Logan went to Calvary in the eve. and Phil, Susan, and I watched Tucker. Tucker reminds me of my husband. And the man who portrays Tucker reminds me of Phil. 'Thank you' said Phil, when I told him. Today I ate fruits, veggies, almonds, pumpkin seeds, vitamins, organic cranberry juice with water and apple cider vinegar with water. (Horrible) Took my vitamins, exercised, and I feel great.///Thankful for Laurel's leap to the piano and the song she began to play and sing. Thankful for the strength to eat healthily today. Thankful for heat!

Thurs.-Lost 1 lb. yesterday. Awoke early. Reading about Jesus, age 12, in the temple. His parents were missing him for 5 days! One days travel time away+one day travelling back+three days searching. I've lost a child for 10 min. already and nearly lost my mind. Can't imagine 5 days worth of panic. Took Susan, Bethany, and Tommy to basketball practice in the afternoon. Filled up with gas, got some groceries at Krogers, and stopped in for 5 min. to see Sammy Jo and Judy. Hurried home and finished supper-roasted chicken, baked potatoes and sweet potatoes, steamed vegetables, salad, and applesauce. Logan, Philip, Susan, and I got to sit down together. Phil had to run to Guild's real quick.///Thankful for this memory-last week, Philip and Logan were buying $400 worth of groceries for the Edge Retreat. The clerk was very solemn. The boys were trying to make her smile. Logan said, "We're stocking up for Winterstorm Susan." "I didn't hear about that one, " she said. Also thankful that when Laurel took a look at my toe yesterday, she thought it looked so much better. Then she said, "Give it a few years and try to forget about it." It was just what I needed to hear because I had thought it should be looking better. I may never be able to wear dressy shoes again but they're not all what they're cracked up to be. Thankful for Laurel's message on the phone. Henry didn't want to lay down and take a nap. He sniffed, "I go to Annie's house?" She wanted me to know that he considers me a source of comfort. That's nice.

Philip, Logan, and Freeman were buying supplies at Lowe's this week. Freeman was talking in his Russian accent and the guys dared him to talk to the check-out clerk that way but then they forgot about it. When he went up to check out he started talking to her in that accent and Philip started laughing so hard he had to go look at magazines and Logan was chuckling and Freeman kept coughing while talking in order to cover up his laughing because the guys were making it hard for him to keep a straight face. This is a story you have to hear them tell because it is an auditory story and must be heard as such.

Sat.-Rough day. Angel's wound on her foot looked worse. Her leg was swollen. Reminded us of Sampson right before we had to ease him out of pain into the Happy Heavenly Hunting Grounds. Phil and Susan took her in and the blood tests showed an aggressive cancer. They had to say good bye to her there. The vet hugged Phil and I am so glad that Susan was there for him. They brought her home. Michael dug a grave down at the river beside Sampson and Phil and I took her down in the gator. I can't write about it anymore. I feel like I lost a family member. And I hurt even more for Phil. Last night, Angel insisted in going into Susan's room with her. Susan made a bed for her on the floor with her comforter and laid down on the floor with her. Angel laid her head on Susan's stomach and Susan knew that this was it.
In the eve. we went our separate ways. Phil and I to the Mac's for an evening of fellowship. Philip and Susan to Lapps for a brownie bake-off. Michael and Logan to Warren's for taco salad.
I showed Phil the comments on facebook in response to Susan's picture of Angel and her sad good-bye. We are so thankful for friends who understand how a dog can be a family member. Lucy looks for Angel and so does Ollie. I am thankful that Angel alerted us to our hay barn fire and Phil was able to save a $12,000 tractor. I am thankful for the time she protected Susan from a pack of wild hunting dogs who were chasing her. But most of all, I am thankful, because Angel taught me how to worship God by the way she worshipped us. She was always listening, always watching our faces, always willing to do what we asked.

Sun.-Good morning at church. Came home and had sandwiches together as a family. Freeman and Alli here too. Michelle M. stopped in later. Susan, Logan, Michelle, and I played Dutch Blitz and Pick One. M. and I took a walk. S, L,and M went to Warren's. Michael went back to school. Phil and I went out to church for Celebration Ceremony. ///Thankful for the wisdom from above that is first pure, peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality  and without hypocrisy. Thankful for the kindness of others in light of Angel's death. Thankful for the prayers for Phil's back. He wrenched it pretty badly yesterday.

No comments: