Monday, January 28, 2013

Hertzler Doings-Jan. 28-Feb.3, 2013

Mon.-Icy morning turned to sunny day. Went out to Farmville and spent the morning with Laura Q. We had breakfast at Riverside and then went shopping with her gift certificate at Amish Originals. Also stopped in at Sleeping Bee. Lovely time together. Came home and Susan made us veggie burgers for lunch. They were incredible. She used white beans and sweet potatoes. Talked with Lindsay in the afternoon and got excited about Zondervan's radio interview and a mentoring project we hope to do together soon. Took Susan out to meet Ashley. Made supper. Did wash. Took a walk. Tidied house. Not necessarily in that order.///Thankful that Lindsay explained to me about 'felt need'. It's when you look past the symptoms and the details and consider a person's 'felt need.' If you look at a person as if they are your child and you are their parent, and give them mercy and understanding about their behavior in light of their real need, then you are considering their 'felt need.' I always learn from her. Thankful that I got to check in with Rosalee. She's having supper tonight with Uncle Paul and Aunt Ann. It's Uncle Paul's birthday supper and Marie and Galen and Jim and Rosalee will join them at Olive Garden. Rosalee's life is getting busy again and they are doing things with and for others. I am so thankful that she is so much better. Thank you, thank you, Lord.

Tues.-This morning, Lucy looked so forlorn. She misses her Angel. I was sitting on my exercise mat and she came over and I began to pet her head and I prayed that God would comfort her and she sat down right there on my lap on the floor. She's never done that before. Then she wanted to lay on her back and exercise right beside me or under my legs. Her depth of affection was a bit annoying but I couldn't help but feel that she did experience the comfort of the Lord and wanted to express that in her love for me. Then we went for a walk. She started exploring along the fence and suddenly experienced an electric shock. She yelped and ran and looked at me as if I was a terrible traitor. She wouldn't come near me. I had to convince her that it was not I who had shocked her. It took awhile.
Phil was home working on paperwork today. I took Susan to Farmville. First I got my blood work done for the insurance company. Then we went to Belk and then to Anatomy/Drama class. I went to Judy's so she could take my vitals and then to Walmart and then to Baileys. They rotated my tires while I had a feta cheese salad at Riverside. I stopped in to see Ginger for about 15 min. She's so sweet. So encouraging. After I picked up Susan, we got her some chicken and checked out Goodwill for a special book Lindsay and I are looking for. Then I took her to New Life for basketball practice and headed home. Bear roasts had been simmering under a blanket of horseradish all day in the crock pot. I made rice and soybeans and had some raw veggies and that was supper. I copied and pasted for the first time from my blog to face book. I want to take some of my favorite writings and begin to share them more publicly and perhaps, someday, they'll be some sort of devotional book. ///I am thankful that God is in control, that the church is His, and that He knows all things and does all things well. For all concerned.

Wed.-Got my blood work and stats sent off to the insurance company. Very scatter brained today. Wind was wild and warm. Susan and I both got hair cuts and shopped at Kroger. I like having her along to shop. We have both been eating healthily. She has been making wonderful things to eat and drink. We made our first mozzarella cheese. It was so good but I kept it in the hot water too long and melted it so we only had about a cup of cheese from a gallon of milk. The good expensive whole milk organic kind. So, to make it worth our while, we'll need to buy a good milk cow. The kids went to CC for youth group tonight. Phil's back is really hurting him again. Found out that a friend from church has an accelerated kind of cancer. And organized plans for Friday nights sleepover with Micah, Serena, and Abby. I haven't been sleeping much and I think that's why I can't seem to keep my head together and my activities accomplished. So, I'll sign off now.///Thankful for the weather. I love the sound. Lord, protect us all. Thankful that I am free to post my writings. I always felt shy about it before. Still do but I want to share them now. Thankful that Lucy is rising up to her calling as guard dog. She was growling and barking at some hunting dogs this eve.

Thurs.-1 Sam. 3:19-"So Samuel grew, and the LORD was with him and let none of his words fall to the ground."  Growth. The presence of God. No fruitless words. Wow.
Great day. Phil home. Guys working in shop here. Susan worked on Driver's Ed and had basketball practice. Freeman smoked two unlucky roosters and Alli and him joined us for supper. I made potato soup and cheesy tortilla chips. Freeman joined the guys in the parlor for some video game activity and Alli and I watched Hugo and were joined by others as they came in. Weather cold and windy. Loose siding pounding on the wall kept Susan awake most of last night. Sounded like someone banging on the door. Phil got his hair cut by Jennifer. Dr. F. worked a long time on his back and he is feeling much better. I have so much energy. Am getting more accomplished. Please God, help me continue to eat healthily. ///Thankful for a day at home. Thankful for interruptions. Thankful for Lucy's humorous refusal to take a walk with me. She still thinks I am the one who shocked her. We have fun putting a voice to her expressions.

Fri.-Great day getting things done and ready for nieces Abby and Serena, and nephew, Micah, to come over for a sleepover. Picked them up around 5. Helen sent two homemade pizzas home with us. We watched two movies-'Mosters vs. Aliens' and 'Flushed Away.' We ate lots of popcorn. They settled down easily in the night on a big homemade bed made of blankets on the floor. Abby slept on the sofa. They had a pile of books and were settled and lights out by 10. Meanwhile, over at the mancave, Meredith, Logan, Susan, Michael, and Sara were having their own party with the Farming Game and twirling around looking at the stars and shining a flashlight in each others eyes. Apparently, if you look at the stars for a certain amount of time, and twirl, and someone shines a flashlight in your eyes, you drop down immediately. And apparently, it works. You become totally disoriented and don't know where your body is in space. Sounds like vertigo to me. Little Sammy Jo has the stomach bug and I found out via facebook that she had to go to the ER to have an IV of fluids put in her since she can't keep anything down. What did they do in days before IV's when babies and older people got dehydrated? ///Thankful for IV's, and sweet nieces and nephews, and times of finding joy in simple things. On one of our sleepovers in the summer, we were down at the river and talked about how we are going to keep on doing this even after they are married. "Good bye, dear. I'm going to Aunt Annette's for a sleepover tonight. No, you can't come along. It's just for we three."

Sat.-Made pancakes and bacon for breakfast. The Three watched 'It Takes Two'. Abby's pick. But the sound was so low and we were so loud that they couldn't hear. So, I took out the video and am sending it home with Abby so she can watch it at home and they were so happy to watch The Three Stooges instead. Hopefully, Phil will have some time to watch it with them since that's part of our tradition. (He did.) Logan ate and then headed for Pa. He has an appointment to keep and then will be coming back. We'll miss him.  I'll take the children home after lunch. When they are here, I get a sudden urge to adopt them and keep them forever. But I guess I can have them whenever I want them and this way, their parents won't have to give them up, and no one needs to sign any papers or pay any money. They also watched Despicable Me and had leftover pizza for lunch. I vacuumed and washed the floor in the afternoon and then made homemade donuts from scratch and also homemade fries. Sent a plate of donuts with Michael. He went to the guys house for the eve. They were going to come here but Travis was on call because of the possibility of snow and he needed to be closer to town. So Philip didn't get to be with them because his pig started having piglets. We watched 'Unknown'. A real heart thumper and mind twister. Now I need to watch it again from this perspective. We say that God knows our end from our beginning. That's what we can say when we have seen a movie before. We know it's end from it's beginning. We've seen the whole thing. God has already seen our life. He knows how it is going to play out. He knows the choices we'll make. He's in control and gives us freedom. I like a movie much better the second time around because I know its end from its beginning and it is far less complicated and stressful and I enjoy it. I realized just a few minutes ago that my father passed away on this day in the year 2004. I wonder what he is doing now. ///I am thankful for the sympathy card we received in the mail from Pastor and Laura. It was so kind. It was sent to comfort us about Angel. It's been a week since she's gone. Ollie is starting to come around more. We thought we had lost her too. I am thankful that my dad is happier than he has ever been. I'm thankful for my cheerful memories of him. I am thankful for the lovely morning with my nieces and nephew and for their friendship with one another.

Sun.-Great morning at church. The boys and Susan went with Jordan, Travis, and Nick to Liberty's hockey game against VT. Liberty won by two points. Phil, Freeman, and Alli went to musical practice. I stayed home alone and relaxed. ///I am thankful for the sweet presence of Jesus at church this morning, and for the love among us, and for the great teaching on love.

No comments: