Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Hertzler Doings-Dec. 24-Dec.30, 2012

Mon.-Susan drove for awhile when we reached Virginia. She drove through freezing rain and when we stopped for gas, Phil took over. We got into snow in the mountains on 64. Cars were pulled off and people were walking around. Freeman and Alli were behind us by about 40 min. and they had about a 30 min. delay at the same place and later we found out that that area of the road was shut down. We got home around noon, unpacked, and prepared the house and farm for Christmas Day tomorrow.

Tues.-Merry Christmas 2012! I made cinnamon rolls and Mike made a breakfast of scrapple, potatoes, sausage, eggs, biscuits, and sausage gravy. Then we gathered in the living room and Phil and I, along with Freeman's help, recited Luke 2-"And there were in the same country..." We both had memorized it in school using the KJ version. We went around the circle, requesting a Christmas song and sharing a verse that had become particularly meaningful to us this year. We pulled names and for memory sake, I'll share the gifts/givers. Freeman gave Michael a refurbished rifle. Alli gave Susan a basket full of fun girl stuff-a scarf and hat, nail polish, chap stick, etc. Philip gave me a bright red Liberty hoodie which he had earlier heard me long for. Michael gave Alli a cutco spatula knife. Susan gave Philip a soft navy Aeropostal hoodie, Phil gave Freeman a Backwoodsman Subscription, I gave Phil dress clothes, including a green tie that the guys admired. We gave Susan a snow camouflage bomber hat and Alli pink longjohns-both things from Cabela's. The boys got Superman boxers and a illustrated green Christmas shirt that says, "With a Face like this, Who needs Mistletoe?" They promptly modeled them for us and we banned the pictures from face book. I gave each of the kids an ornament, symbolizing their year, with a little note included. Freeman-a hunter-'success in your hunt for a family homeplace.' Philip-a bear hunter with a bow and arrow-"So glad you got the bear instead of the other way around." Michael-an antique Walt Disney airplane-"for breaking the bonds of earth." Alli-a cupcake snowman-to remember working at The Babcock House and for memories of watching baking DVD's together. Susan-a boxer dog with a red scarf that looks just like Lucy-"Because you loved her before you got her and because you love her still. Phil-a little hourglass-"Because our time together grows more precious." They also got a 'little card' and some chapstick and everyone was very happy. Then we played Scattergories and Monopoly and did some other things as a family. Alli and Freeman went home to catch up from their busy weekend, Philip and Susan went to Lapp's to go mudding with Cynthia and Jenny in Philip's pink jeep. Unfortunately, he flooded it. Phil showed Michael where to cut firewood this week. I cleaned up the house and watched Sea Biscuit.
I am so thankful that Emmanuel is with us, setting up His Kingdom in our home, making things right. Glory to God on earth, Peace, Goodwill towards men. On earth peace, goodwill towards us! For this is a personal baby, a personal Savior, a personal Reigning King.

Wed.-Ps. 73:23-26. Relaxing day, doing wash, watching movies, eating leftovers, tacking down the Last Supper on a burgundy background. Phil's visa company informed him that someone who claimed to be me bought on line lingerie. They declined it, thinking it abnormal activity, and they were correct. I also got a scam phone call, asking me to verify the next 15 numbers after the 4 on my visa card. I ended up reporting them to the local sheriff-talked with a cop, etc. They said that most of these calls from overseas. The best thing to do is get the word out and never give out your card info. unless you have initiated the call. Fortunately, I did not give them my number, and I let them know that I thought they were not legit. I want to write it up on a separate blog so other people are warned. Philip, Michael, and Susan went to CC in the eve. Phil and I watched Airforce One. A real heart thumper. Angel barked alot during the night. I opened the back door and the neighbors big white dog and smaller hunting dog were eating dog food out of a bag on our back porch. I yelled at them and they ran away and haven't been back since. Car is at Bailey's. Started shaking on way up to Pa. (sensors were off-spark plugs fried)

Thurs.-Susan and I went to run errands in Appomatox-Bank deposit and Walmart where I bought a 6 1/2 foot prelit tree for $20 and a 3 foot white lighted tree for $10. Our lights were out on our other Christmas tree and I didn't put it up this year for various reasons. Got our final 2 pics developed for our newsletter. Quite sure I got another scam call today. They hung up when I said that I got a scam call yesterday. Watch out for area codes in the 400's. I told someone that the next time someone wants me to verify my 16 digit card number, I am going to say, "4666-6666-6666-6666." I'm going to say it in a lovely way with various voice inflections.
Rosalee is still running a fever. She has to wait 2 more weeks to get her next procedure done. She thought it was going to happen yesterday. Alli came over and we watched 'Hook.' Took Susan to meet Ashley for BB practice. Watched another movie with Michael in the eve.

Fri.-Thinking about Mary and the way she asked a question. "How can this be...seeing that I know not a man."She didn't ask, 'How can this be true?' but, 'How are you going to make this true?'  It was an honest question based on normal facts of life. It wasn't a doubting or unbelieving question. And the angel answered her with an honest answer and she accepted it. I was thinking about this in light of tribulation. Tribulation is a fact of life. And He said that He will overcome the world that holds the tribulations of life. We ask not, "How can you possibly overcome this hard cruel world," but we ask, "How will you overcome it? How will you make things right in this impossible situation? " And He says, "Watch and see." Oh God, give me eyes that focus on how you overcome rather than eyes that focus on the tribulations.
Car is still at Baileys. Worked around house. Stitched more of The Last Supper to the burgundy background. Worked on newsletter. Phil, Philip, and Freeman came home.  Alli brought The Three Muskateers over and Michael, Susan, and I watched it with her. Had popcorn. She was here when Freeman came home. He brought our car home from the garage. Bill nearly $900.

Sat.-Out to Farmville on church business from 10-3. Stopped at Belk and got Phil two shirts-white and black. Also went to Walmart which was packed. Still no internet.

Sun.-Great morning service. Pastor Richard B. was our guest speaker. Out to eat at RT with B's and C's. Susan to Macado's with F and A. They dropped her off later. Michael took her out to Les Miserables with the Warrens and others. They did not care for the movie-everything was sung except for a few lines. The finale was great however. Phil and I read our own books for several hours in the afternoon. I read "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" by Betty Smith. Well written eye opener. Later, we watched an old Christmas movie starring Jimmy Durante. I remember my mother liking his repertoires. Alli and Freeman came over to look at some papers in the eve. A nice day of rest.

No comments: