Monday, January 7, 2013

Hertzler Doings-Jan.7-13, 2013

Mon.-Awoke to a quiet house. Michael went to work at the Abbey with the rest of them. Susan at Jenny's. Had a nice day, making bear stew and salad, doing wash, tidying up, exercising, working on setting up Susan's driver's ed program, walking with Alli, watching 'First Wives Club' with Alli, and waiting for Kathy L. and Kelly S. to show up before dark.They're in from CA. Freeman had hydraulic fluid 'explode' up his nose at work today. He's okay though./// I'm thankful that he wasn't hurt and that Philip wasn't hurt as he climbed the walls doing demo work. Thankful that Alli kept me company and that Ollie may be Ollivette, after all. Thankful for these words from Ps. 84:5,6-"Blessed is the man whose strength is in You, Whose heart is set on pilgrimage, As they pass through the Valley of Baca, They make it a spring; The rain also covers it with pools. They go from strength to strength; Each one appears before God in Zion."

Tues.-So, I am writing about the 8th and it is Jan. 18th. So much trouble with our internet. Rosalee's stent procedure was successful. Stent is totally internalized. Next procedure due in 6 weeks. Went out to Homeschool co-op. First meeting since Chrstmas break. Met DDF at Merks. She gave me her next two books. I began reading 'The Third Peril' as she went into the restroom and when she came back I said, "I'll see you later." I was already engrossed with her book. Had a sweet time as always with her. Picked up Susan and ran some errands and then dropped her off at New Life and ran more errands. Found five newish books at Goodwill. Especially interested in Lucado's book-'Facing Your Giants' since I am interested in David and finding him in others. Went to New Life's game in the eve. Girl's played a good game but lost to a very aggressive team. Phil, Logan, Freeman, and Philip. stopped in at half time. Came home and had to unwind for awhile. Foul playing makes me mad. Philip and Susan went out with others after the game.///Thankful that no one was seriously hurt tonight and that I did not seriously hurt anyone. Thankful that Judy moved to town and that I can drive by her place and see if she's there.  Thankful I got to sit beside Ron and Kathy tonight and just 'be' with them. What a precious family they have and what a comfort to have them as neighbors.

Wed.-Out to Lynchburg to leg Dr., the mall, Sam's Club, Appomattox, bank. Came home and put away Sam's Club stuff and made supper and 'relaxed' with DDF's heart thumping book-The Third Peril. The book is magnifying my burden to pray for America during these 21 days of fasting and prayer that our church is participating in along with other churches in the nation and possibly world.

Thurs.-Eccl. 9:17,18-"Words of the wise, spoken quietly, should be heard rather than the shout of a ruler of fools, Wisdom is better than weapons of war; But one sinner destroys much good." I need this verse during basketball season especially.
Dr. F. worked on Susan this morning. Her whole head/neck/body has been hurting. Some 'unmentionable word' basketball player grabbed her ponytail and jerked her down when she went up for a rebound. Makes me so mad. Half the time I'm scared someone is really going to hurt her and half the time I'm scared she is really going to hurt someone else and that I'll have to use my sister's line-'Good thing my brother is a lawyer.' Sometimes it seems like the kids are playing the Ungolden Rule-'Do unto others before others do unto you.'
Spent nearly an hour sitting in the sun by the walls of my cottage on Mother's blue lawn chair reading 'The Third Peril.' I read Lisa's books every second I can including when I use the bathroom in the middle of the night.
Susan met Ashley and Bethany at Trinity for BB practice and Helen and I talked for awhile after they left.  I told her the sense that I'm getting that our present worries will seem like fond memories when we face what is ahead for our nation. She told me of a similar sense. They were driving home from Pa. and came on snow. The back end of their van swerved three times into the pathway of oncoming cars and then swung back again. They stopped for gas and got lost on a back road and saw the beauty of the falling snow. When they found their way back, the snow was turning to ice, and they saw several cars that had careened over to their side from the northbound lane. And she had the same sense. That the snow was pretty nice compared to the ice and she had a longing to be back in the snow that makes the back end swerve rather than the ice that causes a car to careen over to oncoming traffic. 
Logan and Michael made Logan's bacon burgers for supper.  I made homemade rolls earlier in the day and for supper we had burgers with cheese, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, lettuce, mayo, catsup, and also homemade fries and salad. I had been eating lightly but indulged in 1 1/2 rolls and 1/2 burger and I can honestly say, 'It was not worth it.'
Went out and picked up Susan and when I came home I had a JOB. Six roosters too many had been slaughtered and it was my job to clean them. Oh, one escaped, so I only had 5 to clean. Stuck one unlucky fellow in the pot to cook overnight. Michael looked menacing as he came toward the house in the dark in his black woolen trench coat with a bloody Cutco meat cleaver in his hand. Scared Logan a little bit, I think.///Thankful that Michael gets to stay home tomorrow and rest (has a cold) and get ready to go back to Liberty. Lump in my throat. Thankful for an abundance of food. Thankful for Mike M's 'vision' to have open houses monthly to gather people together so that we are used to being with each other should life circumstances ever compel us to be together more often.  Thankful for the consistent invitation to come, even though we've missed the gatherings so far.

Fri.-Phil forgot to set the alarm. He overslept and sent the guys to the Abbey and stayed home to work on paperwork. Read Ps. 88. 'A Psalm of Despondency.' The Psalmist is asking God to hear his cry, for he is like to die. Everything is wrong, he has no friends, and God has hid his face from him.  It is what it is and the only sense of hope is this: the the One he is crying out to is his LORD, and the God of his salvation.  I found it strangely comforting. To be able to say that what is is what is.
Had chapel with Susan today. She's so tired. She was wrapped up on the sofa and watched History DVDs for over an hour.  I made Makenzie a queen size green fleece pillow case and a case for the Bible we got her made from the same material. Had a meeting in Farmville at 3. Dropped Susan off at NL. After meeting I went to see Judy. She said that Sammy Jo was waiting at the window for me for at least half an hour.  I had a quick visit then went to New Life and caught the tail end of the Boy's Varsity Game. Phil and Mike were already there. Susan played a fabulous game and made the first two points and at least 6 more after that. Our team won but the other team put up quite a fight. They had a really nice coach. Phil and I went home after the game. Philip and Freeman were there for Susan's game. Freeman took the truck home and the kids went out with friends afterwards. Mike is leaving for Liberty in the morning. Boo hoo. Finished Lisa's 'The Third Peril,' and started reading 'The Harbinger.' This past week of reserved eating and praying, it is America that I am weeping over. And as I began reading 'The Harbinger,' my heard pounded as a witness, as I read words that sorted out the muddled thoughts I've been afraid to think clearly.///Thankful that Judy moved to town. Thankful for Susan's incredible playing and for her brothers and cousin who yelled so loudly for her. Thankful that Phil was home all day.

Sat.-Phil and I took over the kitchen table this morning. He was working on paper work and I was mending clothes that had patiently waited for years. Tidied the house and stayed near Michael until he left for Liberty. Went down to the river and read 'The Harbinger.' Logan, Philip, and Freeman, went to a gun show in Richmond. Later in the eve., Susan, Logan, and I played Dutch Blitz and Pick One. He had some very interesting spellings of words I've never heard of before. I think he's gifted. ///Thankful for warm weather, Logan's interesting spellings, and my summer river in the midst of winter.

Sun.-Great morning at church.  Philip, Logan, and Susan, went to Calvary. In the afternoon, I finished reading 'The Harbinger' outside on the sunny porch. Phil had board meeting in afternoon. Susan and I watched Monk and Logan joined us after he gave himself a haircut with a scissors. He has some hills and valleys on his head but he's not worried about it. He's been cleaning up after the boys and brought in armloads of mugs and cups. It's a little embarrassing. Philip set traps for otters and went over to Martin's to play Rook.///Thankful for days of rest, pastors, and the sheep in our community.

No comments: