Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Hertzler Doings-Feb. 18-24, 2013

Mon.-Jennifer G. and her two precious boys came over and braved our 'sketchy' lane. She made homemade bread with her own bare hands and it turned out deliciously. We also canned 22 quarts of vegetable venison soup and had soup to spare for our lunch and for several suppers. She headed for home about the same time we headed out to Farmville for basketball practice. I ran some errands after dropping Susan off and then went to Judy's and was there when she came home. She brought us fish and chips from Long John Silvers. Samantha stopped by and it was nice to visit with her. I went back out to New Life and picked up Susan and Bethany and called it a day.///I am thankful for Jennifer, Caleb, and Rainer.  Surely, Jesus must have looked at people the way Rainer looks at me. And Susan. Especially Susan. Both boys are in love with Susan. But I don't mind second place because second place is pretty good too. I am thankful for Jen's peaceful ways and her kindness towards her children. I am thankful for friends who love my daughter also.

Tues.-Woke up early with thoughts from a week of sleepless nights all organized in my head. I got up and wrote them down. I started canning my quart jars of soup. I had kept them in a cooler overnight on the back porch. Michelle M. stopped in for a surprise visit. I love when people do that. Meanwhile, we captured the intentional sweet mutt that's been mooning around our property for the past four days. He thinks he's in love with Lucy. Animal control came and took him off our hands. I hope somebody nice adopts him. I hope they live very far away. Susan and I went out to the Sweet Shop but it was closed due to a medical emergency. I dropped Susan off at Homeschool co-op and then went to the bank and to Riverside where I met Marilyn F. for a happy lunch. Then I dropped off a check at Southern States, got some gas, and went to Pairets to order a gold plaque that says, "Handcrafted by Richard Putt." It's going to be inserted somewhere on the framed crocheted masterpiece, 'The Last Supper.' I went to the DMV to meet Jen to give her her cooled canned soup and saw Bethany and Helen coming out of the building. I wanted to do my Aborigines but there was a man about 10 feet away and I didn't want to be responsible for any thing that may have happened if I startled him, which I would have. So, I just nicely yelled, "Bethany!" And she happily waved her sheet of paper and I knew she had gotten her driver's license. They came over and met Jen.
I picked up Susan from drama class-they will be performing Nickolaus Nickleby in a month or two-and headed for New Life. I went to Judy's house and soon she was home. We had some vegetable soup for supper that I had brought along. We visited and rested and Sammy Jo came with her mama and papa. Josh told me he liked my blog writings and that just thrilled my soul. I went out to the Longwood/Liberty Men's basketball game around 8 and it was wild. The place was packed. Much of the girl's team and guys team from New Life had gotten in free, thanks to Michelle M. Some of their parents were there too and it was just great. In the midst of the game, Cindy Z. told me that Leonard and Marty's son, 22, was killed that day on his way home from his girlfriend's home. He hit a patch of ice. I know his uncles (Gene and Dave)  and aunt (Loretta)  well and it breaks my heart for the whole family. The final score of the game was something absolutely insane. I think it was 102-101. Longwood won. ///I am thankful for the great community spirit that I felt tonight at the game. I sat beside a teacher from Longwood. She's in the phys ed dept and knew Michelle well. I am thankful for the shining eyes of those around me who were so involved in the process of the game that they forgot to be dignified. I am thankful for my new turquoise hoodie. It says, "Longwood University" on it. Last time, I went to the girl's Liberty/Longwood game and wore my red Liberty hoodie. This time, I wore my other loyalties. One must be fair and just, you know.I love a good game and cheer for every basket made no matter which team made it. I think God must too.

Wed.-Slept like a baby last night. When Phil is gone, the Night Owl comes out in me. Went to bed after midnight and slept straight through until 7:30. Wanted to sleep, sleep, sleep all day. Did some wash and cleaning and watched History DVD's and Princess Diaries with Susan. Phil, Philip, and Dave, are on their way home from NC. Put up trusses for two days. ///I am thankful for ears to hear Susan's sweet singing. I am thankful for an abundance of eggs. I am thankful for a day not to go anywhere. I am thankful for freedom of thought and the freedom of speech.

Thurs.-Busy morn at home. Busy early afternoon running errands in Appomattox. Busy late afternoon and evening in Farmville. ///Thankful for Anna M. who loaded up my car with bulk candy ingredients from her store-433 dollars worth!  Thankful for Travis M. and that it's so hard to say good bye to him. Thankful for Phil who wanted to cry when he heard that Dave S.'s barn burned down. Thankful that no one as hurt.

Fri.-Susan started making peanut butter eggs today. Michael was home mid morning. Played guitar and sang old Hopewell songs. I made a daffodil cake using 6 separated eggs. Philip had first BUCK meeting tonight. Brother's Upholding Christ's Kingdom. Michael took Susan to her last basketball game. They got home way after midnight. Lost game by 7 points. Thankful for the lack of snow. Thankful for safe travels for the kids. Thankful for an abundance of eggs.

Sat.-Cleaned house. Susan went shopping with Sarah W. Philip went to auction. Phil worked on office stuff. Michael ran errands for Phil. Alli and Freeman stopped over and made some plans. I posted Doyne's letter to the editor on my blog and on face book. Have been making bear meat all day to take to the Mac party tonight. Susan and Sarah had such a great time shopping. Freeman and Alli went with us to the party. On the way we had a flat tire. Stopped along 460 and used our portable air pressure machine to fill it up and then put fix-a-flat in it. Drove to Sheetz and added more air. Were a little late to the party. Has been a year since Michael's son passed away and he's been having these gatherings to give back to the people who helped him during that time. We had a great time.  ///I am thankful that truth will win. I am thankful that God sits in heaven and laughs at the tricks of mere men.  I am thankful that I am a pawn in His Hand.

Sun.-Nice morning at home. Philip, Michael, and Susan, went to Calvary Chapel. Phil and I went to church and heard Pastor Jerry speak on marriage, prayer, and sex. I'd love to post some of his quotes on face book but I'm not sure if we would have room for all the curiosity seekers who would come to our church next week. Went out to eat Chinese with Steve and Dianna and Doyne joined us too. Saw our children there and others from church. La Parota had burned down yesterday or the day before. Golden Palace was very busy. I took Phil back to church for musical practise and then drove the big white truck home since our tire was very flat again this morning. Logan woke up with his dad at 3 in Pa and got to CC soon after 10. He joined his cousins for church and Chinese and was resting in the living room with Susan and Michael when I got home. They were watching The Goonies and sleeping too. I took a food coma nap and woke up around 6. The kids left for Bible quizzing at CC and then to the Warrens. Phil and I ate Breyer's strawberry ice cream and popcorn and watched The Bourne Legacy. ///I love days like this. Thankful for the flock of robins, jays, bluebirds, and cardinals. Thankful for the love at our church. Thankful that disagreeing with someone doesn't mean that we don't love each other. Thankful for open hearts and open minds and open spirits.

No comments: