Monday, February 4, 2013

Hertzler Doings~Feb. 4-10, 2013

Mon.-Susan, Alli, and I had a nice time swimming indoors at the neighbors pool. $5 for one hour. Susan worked on Driver's Ed and I worked on picking out some writings and doing wash, making supper, and tacking down The Last Supper. Hoping to have it ready for display down at the Abbey for Easter. Dave P. is going to stop in some day soon and take some measurements to make a frame. Susan went out to basketball practise and Logan came back to us. He came bearing gifts from BB's. He called from the store and asked me if I wanted anything so I ordered a 5 lb. block of Farmer's cheese. It costs $13. Susan and I are going to load up on supplies when we go up in March. ///Two happy writing things happened today. Paul H. asked if he could use my words from my blog about his wife, Lisa's, book, 'The Third Peril.' So, he's quoting me somewhere to promote her book. And Tina E., whose husband has books printed, wondered 'aloud' on my writing about 'Hands' as to whether I had ever thought of putting my writings in a book. Oh, and I got a package in the mail from Ashley. She bought a lovely light weight hand woven blanket for me in India and sent me a picture of herself with two little children with a hand-written note in the back. For these happy moments of my day, I am thankful.

Tues.-I love Tuesdays. Susan and I went to Belk and purchased $25 worth of Clinique and received 5 free items. Then I took her to co-op and went to Miller's to meet Teresa and her two girls, Mattie and Haley. We had a nice lunch together. Shopped at Walmart and picked up Susan and took her to New Life for practise. She stayed for the boys game and went to Applebee's afterwards and had much fun. Meanwhile, I came home and took care of household things and then went to KNIT group where the Beth Moore study was on the dangers of cynicism. So good. Logan came back to us last eve. but tonight after work was the first time I saw him. I thought he had grown. ///I am thankful for this group of women who get so excited when they see me. I feel like a celebrity and I feel like I can be a nobody. So relaxing. I am thankful that Jenny, Bethany, and Susan, spontaneously sang 'The Star Spangled Banner' before the game. I bet it was beautiful. I am thankful for words and the gift of putting them together in the right way sometimes.

Wed.-Last night at KNIT group, we were watching Beth Moore and her study of James. She said that 40 years ago, you would not find women from different denominations sitting down and studying the Bible together. I felt an immediate overwhelming gratitude towards my mother. Because 40 years ago, she was doing just that. She sought God and found Him in Catholics and Anglicans and Charismatics and Mennonites. She found Him in her raw honest humanity as she searched the Scriptures and related to others beyond her denomination. She went to a neighborhood Bible Study for 25 years and helped lead women's retreats for 25 years and these groups embraced all seekers. I don't know if she had too many peers that were reading Fenelon, Guyon, Lewis, Augustine, H.W. Smith, Chesterton, Nouwen, etc. I wonder if she felt lonely in the depths of her search for God. But I think loneliness deepens our search. I am so thankful that I had a mother like her.
I washed Ashley's gift from India. A hand woven light weight blanket. It's still hanging on the line. I took Susan to the Dr. today for a badly infected toe. Instead of doing surgery, Dr. W. put her on an antibiotic. It makes her feel sick almost immediately. Had a nice long chat with Lindsay today and made some plans for when we go up to Pa. Oh, I hope it works for them to come down and see Susan and I. Made lots of food-quiche, a turkey, 4 packs of bacon burgers, 2 packs of scrapple. It's in the fridge and back porch. Worked on The Last Supper too. Posted another writing. Lindsay wants me to get a pinnable image so she can pin my blog to  pinterest. Judy said that someday she'll be able to say, "I knew her when..." but that's not what I want. I want to write and I want my life to stay the way it is. I like it. ///I am thankful that I just heard Phil's truck pull up. He left for New Jersey last night with Roger and they went to pick up a corn planter in NJ to replace the one that got burned in the fire. I am thankful for Susan and her happy singing and the way she can ignore pain while playing basketball and then barely be able to walk as soon as the game is over.

Thurs.-Nice day at home. Worked more on The Last Supper. Susan soaked her poor toe in hot Epsom salt water and studied Driver's Ed. Took her out to basketball practise in the eve. I ran some errands. Sent Adi her birthday gift and bought one for Lindsay. Her birthday is today! Happy Birthday Lindsay! They are expecting 3 feet of snow tomorrow! I feel as if it is going to happen here. So excited for them. Asked God to give me some encouragement about writing if that is what He wanted me to do and then I started thinking about DDF and a few minutes later, I saw her at Walmart and she was such an encouragement. Thank you God. Helped Janelle pick out glass frames at the eye care store in Walmart. ///Thankful for 8 healthy piggies born today. Thankful for the fun time I had with Janelle. Thankful for a writer friend who has travelled the road before me and understands its loneliness.

Fri.-Noticed in Ps. 105 encouraging directives to our soul's function toward the LORD. Action words: Give thanks...Call upon...Make known...Sing to Him...Talk of all...Glory in...Heart rejoice...Seek the Lord...Seek His strength...Seek His face..Remember His works, wonders, and judgements.  All within the first few verses. We wouldn't have time to worry if we were doing these things.
Cleaned the house, did wash, took Susan to New Life, had a meeting, met Rebecca S., went to the game, the guys were there, didn't know they were coming, gym overfilled, Girls lost game, Ashley's last game, Jenny got hurt, Susan stayed for guys varsity game, Rebecca and I went to Macado's, had a nice visit, took her back to campus, went to Judy's to hang out until Susan was finished with the gang at Applebee's, called her at 10:10-just ordering, went home, Susan went to Bethany's, will pick her up in morn. Restless night, Unable to sleep for at least 3 reasons, one of which was eating a huge appetizer at Macado's. ///Thankful for how bad I feel on junk food and that that should be the cure. Thankful for my new friend, Rebecca. Thankful for Michelle M. who worked to get us passes for tomorrow's game at Longwood.

Sat.-Picked up Susan at Uncle Tom's this morn. Later picked up Jenny and took the girl's to the basketball game at Longwood. Liberty won. Great game and good playing. Betty and Kelly came too. Came back home and got ready to go out to church for Valentine's banquet where we learned more about the differences between men and women. It is important to receive each other and each other's differences. Logan was here when we came home. He had spent the day since noon with the Tom's celebrating Abby's birthday at Liberty's fake snow hill. They had wanted Susan to come too but we had the game plans. Jenny is spending the night. Jordan is out in the man cave with the guys. I saw some interesting pictures on face book that Susan took while we were gone. I guess she didn't take the one where she was holding Philip in her arms like a baby with apparent ease. Steve brought 3 calves and a cow over today. They seem to be settling in with each other and getting used to the new arrangements.///I am thankful that Susan's toe is feeling better. I am thankful for thoughts and the freedom to know my own mind. I am thankful to be home. It's been a busy run around week.

Sun.-A bit weary. Three nights in a row with little sleep. Many thoughts are wrestling around in my head, trying to get organized. Finally, this morning, I had an organized three point presentation all ready in my brain. No one else but myself may ever hear it, but that's okay, because now I'm thinking my own thoughts again. Thank God. Maybe I'll get some sleep tonight.
Church was interesting this morning. Freeman led a worship song. That was exciting. Pastor Jerry and Laura shared more on marriage. It was really good. We left right away because Phil had gotten up early to go to the Men's Prayer Breakfast after working all week in Richmond and he needed to come home and take a nap before heading back out for musical practise. We relaxed with no movie in the afternoon. Made some popcorn and homemade ice cream. Michael, Susan, and Logan, all seem a little sick with something in the cold arena. Michael had a slight temp. and was getting sicker as the day went on and he had to go back to Liberty. I said that I wish I could keep him here and take care of him and he said he wished that too. Philip had some friends come and they went down to the river to roast hot dogs and s'mores. Susan, Susan D., Joel and Ashley, and some others. I read more of my blog starting from the beginning to pick out devotionals to share and print out for possible future use. ///Thankful that little Elijah Thomas made it safely into the world last night. Thankful for a day of rest where I feel absolutely no pressure to do a thing. Love to just sit there and listen to the kids interact with each other. Thankful for my husband and that I don't feel wounded when I listen to a pastor talk about how a husband should treat his wife. Thankful that my conscience convicted me when I heard how wives should treat their husbands. There is always room for improvement, isn't there. Thankful for a worship leader who shares the stage and wants God to be worshipped.

No comments: