Monday, February 11, 2013

Hertzler Doings~Feb. 11-17, 2013

Mon.-Reading in the O.T. how displeased the LORD was when Israel demanded to have a king to judge them, rule over them, think for them, lead their battles. They wanted to not have to hear God through a king instead of a prophet. They wanted someone else to do the work for them to keep them in line instead of keeping themselves in line. They rejected God that He should not reign over them. They preferred man's reign over God's. So sad. So real time.
Babysat Henry today. He is just a treasure. Susan took a sick day. Fighting a cold.  She worked on my computer on some things for her Easter Candy business. Henry was busy. Painting, playing with play dough, putting refrigerator magnets in my slippers, eating, etc. I took him out to town to drop Susan off at New Life and he fell asleep quickly on the way. I went to Judy's and left him sleep in the car under the carport and made myself a cup of tea and ate Judy's snacks. She wasn't there but has told me to make myself at home. It's so nice to have a house in town. Dianna came and picked the dear little darling up. He's not feeling the best. I met Janelle at the bank parking lot to go walking with her while Micah was at karate. I heard a car running and asked, "Whose car is running?" It was hers and the keys were in it. We made a trip back to her place to get her spare key. We had time to go to Sweet Frog for her birthday. Happy 42! Came back home after picking up Susan. What a nice surprise. Phil was home. I thought he'd be elsewhere but he was home.///Thankful for Lindsay and the fact that they got out of their house for the first time today after Big Winter storm Nemo. She said that they had to get out. The girls were running up and down in the gym. She said that the snow was plowed so high that it was hard to see around it at the corners while driving. She had to let Gil know if he could pull out or not. It was scary. I am thankful that they are safe.I am thankful that I could spend some time with Janelle on her birthday.  I am thankful for the beautiful pink and lavender sunset and how it morphed into a deep crimson sunset. Such extravagant beauty. Surely, God must be the artist.

Tues.-Reading about David in 1 Sam. 18. There were three things about him that won him the favor of all Israel and Judah. He behaved wisely in all his ways. The LORD was with him. And he went out and came in before them.  He was one of them. This is the man God chose to shepherd His people Israel. What a man of vision. What a shepherd. What a man to look for.
After I dropped Susan off at co-op, I went over to Judy's. She was making wonderful muffins and I put my warm soup on the stove to heat up. We figured out how to face talk with Lindsay and the girls for Adi's birthday. It seemed to be much easier than skyping. I got to see their house and back yard and front yard and all of their snow. I saw Gil working on his computer in the corner. I heard his voice interjecting once in awhile. I got to see loose teeth and missing teeth and leggings and dimples and dances. It was wonderful. I had to cry when we hung up after an hour or so. Lindsay had a homesick look in her eyes and it broke my heart. I need to see her soon.
Had some lunch with Judy and then she left to get SJ and I went to the bank and to the new sweet shop on Main Street Farmville. They have bacon chocolate truffles! I just looked. The owner has an interesting accent. Sounds Scottish or Australian.  He said that they've been having steady business. After picking up Susan and taking her to McD's for a chicken wrap and then to New Life for the games, I met DDF at Barnes and Noble for coffee lattes and understanding conversation and friendship. Then I went to watch Susan's game. It was a little rough. I stress-ate tortilla chips with warm junk cheese spread over them while I was taking money for the game. Met Mr. Landis who looks like a blond version of my cousin, Marv. His daughter is the one who reminds Susan of my mother. Mother was a Landis from Lancaster County too. I am sure we are related. Susan's game got pretty scrappy because the girls are willing to be aggressive and grab balls out of each other's hands. Ashley was in Haiti and Jenny wasn't playing due to last week's head injury. We lost pretty bad. But Susan made a little less than half of the points we scored.  She stayed for the guys game and went home with Jenny overnight. I went to Walmart and got home at 8:45.///I'm thankful that Phil helped unload and load the dishwasher. I'm thankful that Lucy only woke me up once during the night. I'm thankful that when we are uneasy about something and can't put our finger on what it is, we can still pray, because God hears the groanings that cannot be put into words. Praying for America.

Wed.-Had a whole day to myself. I listened to my mother's chorale CD's, made my blog book by putting copies of fb blogs in protective sheets, made stir-fry, cleaned my bedroom and desk, talked on the phone with several friends, and had a lot of quietness. It was great to see everyone when they came back home. Phil was at a Conklin seminar all day. The guys went out to Lynchburg in the eve. to be with Michael and friends at Hibachi. Susan was at Calvary and Phil picked her up on his way home. I didn't sleep much again. Almost a week of restless sleep. Praying for America. For our church. For our family. Wondering what's up.///Thankful for men's singing voices and the transport back in time to my childhood home and the music we listened to.  Thankful for a day to be alone and thankful that it's not like this every day. Thankful for the multitude of cardinals, wrens, junkos, chickadees, and bluejays, on my front porch feeders. It seems they are getting tamer.

Thurs.-Fun Day. Picked up Bethany at Trinity around 1:00 and Susan drove her and I to the Amherst Thrift Store. We found some things and met Catherine M. and also her friend, Jeannette, who works there. We met a man there working at the store from India who uses crayons and cheap paper and draws whatever of interest he finds and sells his drawings for 5 and 10 dollars and donates the proceeds to the thrift store. Next time, I want to bring him some nicer paper and some photographs. I'd like to see what he can do with the picture of Phil and Angel and their last minutes together and another of Susan and Lucy and another of Michael and his plane and another of Phil and I and one of Alli and Freeman and one of Philip and his pig. Basically, I will give him our Christmas newsletter and see what beauty comes from his hand. He's only been in America for two years or less and it was a bit hard to understand him but I gathered that he had taught art in India and then I saw a framed picture of a newspaper article and it said that he taught art for 25 years in India. He is so grateful to this community that he wants to give back. He draws in the back with cheap materials and he is good at what he does. I want to buy him an art studio and paint brushes and palettes and a desk or at least a chair. He stands there, with his broken crayons and kindergarten newsprint tablet and he works on a low cabinet of sorts and he is a king. He is royalty. I told him I'll be back soon with a photo and he said 'Two' and I said, 'Yes, two.' And then I said, 'Don't die.' I said it selfishly and I meant it.

After we left the art museum we went to Farmville and visited the new sweet shop and I bought the girls their only little box of chosen chocolates entitled 'Painted Ladies' hailing the whole way from Vermont. They said they were lucky to get them because of all the snow up there. We also explored a business opportunity for Susan and are very excited. I took the girls to New Life for basketball practise and ran to Walmart. The place was as Crowded as Christmas and I had only to observe all of the flowers, chocolates, cards, and teddy bears, to realize why Virginia is For Lovers. I lost my pizza from the bottom of my cart somewhere between the clerk and my car and went back in to customer service to see if anyone turned in a lost pizza. She told me to bring in my receipt and to go get another pizza which I did. I told her that maybe someone was hungry and needed the other pizza.

Then I met Janelle at karate and she did not lock her keys in her car this time so we got to go for a fast-paced half hour walk. We were getting a bit silly with me losing the rubber foot on my walking sticks and having to go look for it on the street and also earlier, we were dressing into warmer clothes (adding on) right there in the bank parking lot and some people were laughing at us and a dog was barking rather loudly at our antics. My antics, actually, because Janelle wasn't with me at that point. 
I picked up the girls and took Jenny and Bethany to Calvary and headed back home. It's the first night in a week that I have really slept and I slept from 10 until 8:30. And I could keep on sleeping. ///Thankful for that sleep, and for the nice young couple with the 8 month old baby who own the sweet shop, and thankful for his thick Irish accent and that she was right there to interpret if we needed help. Thankful for Mrs. Mac and her friendship and courage and words to set the captive free. Thankful for friends and family and friends who are family. Amen.

Fri.-Made heart shaped 'peanut butter egg's- and dipped them in chocolate and made a plate for each family member with 5 hearts. Made a nice Valentine supper of roasted chicken, baked sweet potatoes and reg. potatoes, mixed veggies and raw veggies. Dawson F. joined us for supper and Logan went with his cousin, Meredith, to CC's Valentine Banquet. ///Thankful for family ties, family business, and family love.

Sat.-Love Sat. morning coffee and breakfast's which the boys make. Scrapple, bacon, fried potatoes, and eggs. Enjoying the fruit of our pigs and hens. Phil worked on his new computer with Michael and then spent the rest of the day harvesting manure out of the barn and spreading it on the fields. It snowed most of the day and now that it is evening and getting colder, it is really beginning to lay. Weather man says if you don't have to travel in this stay home. Michael, Philip, and Susan went to Travis's farewell party. Phil went to pick up calves from Steve. Logan's taking a late evening nap. And most of the day, I worked on tacking down The Last Supper. Dave P. was here and we measured things and he is going to bring some crown molding over and have us look at it. We called for glass prices at the Glass Place in town and found that it will cost lest than we expected. My neck is stiff from all the stitching and leaning over the masterpiece.///Thankful for a Sat. at home-we were going to go to a neighborhood party but changed our minds in order to finish the barn work and sewing project; thankful that I found out a friend who was in pain is no longer in pain; Thankful for the snow on the black trees and for the birds who grace my snowy front porch. They are enjoying a continual feast from the bird feeders although it does seem that certain kinds of birds eat at certain times. The black birds had their share today too. As did the blue jays, junkos, wrens, and cardinals.

Sun.-We got at least 6 inches of snow. The lane was a sheet of ice so we stayed home and had Home Church. Philip preached from the Proverbs. Logan shared two hymns-Trust and Obey and Jesus Saves. I read several stories I had written up from the Bible. Susan shared a testimony and Phil administered the order of events. Michael spent Sat. night at a friends house nearby the party because it just wasn't safe to come home. Philip and Susan left the party early in the eve. and on the back roads, traveled about 8 mph. They couldn't get up the hill on our lane and after trying a time or two, parked the car at the bottom of the hill in the field. We had a nice day, watching movies, making chocolate chip cookies, reading, sleeping, and playing Dutch Blitz.///I am thankful that Michael got home by noon. I am thankful that we were missed at church. I am thankful for the snow and the way it makes junky things look beautiful.

No comments: