Monday, December 14, 2009

Hertzler Doings-Dec.14-20, 2009

Mon.-2 hour delay due to icy conditions. Sat down with Mike and Susan and watched an Eloise movie. Drank coffee and rested. Wrote Hertzler grown up names on the cinnamon ornaments I made earlier and threaded them with pretty cord. Mom asked me to make the name places for Christmas this year. On one side, I wrote their name; on the other side, I wrote a gift from God for them. Wisdom, strength, faith, comfort, joy, hope, love, a song, honor, riches, favor, healing, etc. It made me feel close to our family. Bought chocolate gold coins for the kids-nieces and nephews- and wrote their names on it. Went to doctor. Have acute bronchitis and sinus infection. She prescribed very strong antibiotics, an inhaler, and cough syrup with codeine. The antibiotic is hurting my stomach. Got Susan's gifts for Jane at the store and she wrapped them so beautifully. She wrapped a teddy bear tie that I bought at goodwill awhile ago for Dr. H. She is going to be all innocent when she gives it to him. Not sure what he'll do with it.
Went to Kroger's today and was treated so kindly by the cashier. I recognized her name as someone Michael talks about as being really nice. I told her that he appreciates her and that I was his mother. She had a line of people after me, but she came over to me and looked me right in the eye and said, "Michael is one of the nicest, politest young men I have ever met and I am including my own. He's a keeper." I said, "He sure is. I love him dearly." I thought of the verse in Proverbs where it says that your children will rise up and call you blessed and today I experienced the fruit of those words.

Tues.-Rested. Blogged. Rested. Michael went to New Life's basketball game in the eve. Someone was talking to him afterwards and was asking him what school he goes to. "Cornerstone Christian Academy" in Appomattox,"he replied. "Isn't that pretty much a college prep school?" they wondered. "Pretty much," said Michael. This pleased him.

Wed.-Have I mentioned that Philip's girlfriend, Christi Plank, is home from her missions experience in Guatemala? She was there for 3 1/2 months, working with little children. It's so good to have her back home safely. Today I made Snickers fudge-long process but looks divine, peanut butter chocolate fudge, and homemade marshmallows which I will roll in Christmassy sprinkles. Did 4 loads of wash and blogged a bit. Am feeling better but still can't talk or sing much. I don't miss talking, but I miss singing. Went into town early with the kids to do some shopping before church. Stopped at the bank and then went to Belks. As we were walking in, Michael realized that he didn't have his wallet. He went back to open the car and here his wallet was on the edge of the roof. He had taken it out to get his checks to make a night deposit at the bank. We were so thankful that it hadn't fallen on the roof on our drive over the Belks. Christmas party at Vertical Edge. I ran into Mattie and Steve at Walmart. They said that during the Christmas musical, they would watch the crowd behind the curtains when Freeman performed his Elvis type song. Mattie said the older women were beside themselves...practically swooning is the impression I got.
Phil went to Harrisonburg today to pick up supplies for job in Richmond. He came back to the job and then found another connection in D.C. He and Philip went to D.C. to pick up supplies and got into their room at the Abbey at 4 this (Thurs.) morning. Freeman's been staying out there all week. Phil and Philip have been home some eves.

Thurs.-Susan home from school with miserable head cold. I'm making biscotti, chocolate covered peanut butter Ritz crackers, chocolate covered coconut cream Ritz crackers, chocolate covered peppermint cream Ritz crackers, chocolate covered pretzels. We'll see how far I get. My friend, Dianna, had surgery on her foot today. Praying for her. Made lots of plates and gift boxes filled with candy, etc. for teachers, doctors and dentist in Appomattox, hostess gifts, and Phil's work friends. Angel growled at electric company guy today. He came to the door with a crowbar and was threatening to hit Angel if she bit him. She was growling and very unset with him. I told him that she was growling because he had a crowbar. A bit unsettling.

Fri.-Went to Krogers and battled the crowds. Weather forecast is calling for 12-18 inches. Waited in line for 15 min and made a new friend. Went to school for the Christmas brunch.
Got lots of gifts from students. Half day today. Dropped off candy for Dr. Wright and Dr. Tom and Dr. Harvey. Came home and tore around, cleaning up trash outside, filling up pitchers with water, doing wash, making food,sprinkling salt on porches, etc. Freeman and Michael are busy cutting firewood. Phil and Philip in Richmond, racing the weather. Church staff party tonight at Potters...Missed the party. Heard it was nice. Started snowing around 4.

Sat.-Woke up to 8 inches of snow...10...12...14 probably. Still snowing Sat. eve. Philip shot two doe for crop damage. Michael tried his hand at 4 wheeling but its too deep. Freeman busy in shop all day making something special. Susan, in and out of house, talking with friends, playing in snow, playing card game with me. She took the Dutch rabbit and laid him on his back in the snow and he laid there with one leg shivering. Michael asked me to feel his gloves later on in the day. They were sticking out of his hoodie pocket. I thought they were cold so I touched them and screamed. The dutch rabbit was in his pocket. He couldn't stop laughing and I told him that I was too old for that kind of thing and that I was going to make him pay. :) I told Freeman that I told Michael that I was too old for that kind of thing and he said that half of the women at church hope they look as good as me when they are 40. Phil was out plowing for several hours. I made caramel corn for our kids for Christmas and fruit balls for my mother. ( Made out of dried fruit, nuts, and OJ concentrate and maple syrup.) So good. Slept in afternoon. Watched 3 stooges. Made twice baked potatoes and broccoli and salad for supper. So nice to have electricity. Church has been cancelled for tomorrow. We decided to have our 'Christmas' tomorrow, even though we don't have all our gifts. We'll tell each other our presents after we have a nice breakfast together and read the Christmas story.

Sunday-Church at home. Made an egg casserole. Phil read the Christmas story and we each shared something that stood out to us and what it means in our lives. We each chose a song or two and sang for awhile. Then we gave each other the gifts we had and told each other the gifts we have yet to get. They watched some more Three Stooges while I cleaned up the dishes and dipped pretzel rods in chocolate. Decorated them with Peanut M&M's. In the afternoon, Philip and Michael were outside sledding and four wheeling with some of their friends. Chad, Daniel, and Joel came into the house while Philip and Michael made them venison steak sandwiches. They watched 3 stooges while they waited. Susan and I watched the movie Michael gave to me-"Julia and Julie" or vice versa. I loved it. I grew up watching Julia Child and I love to cook and write. Started looking through some cookbooks. Maybe I should blog through the Little House Cookbook. Got my gifts ready to send to my 'shore' girls. Now we'll all have the same necklace made from trellis yarn. Phil stole my 'Gods and Generals' book on the civil war, but I think he will finish it before I miss it. (He finished it. Came to bed and said it was too sad. Thought I shouldn't read it. Almost made him cry.) Played some games with Susan in the eve. Freeman took gifts over to Alli and she sent back two homemade scarves for Susan and I. So thoughtful and I don't know when she had time to make them. Beautiful too, and I will wear mine as soon as possible.
Talked with Judy for awhile. She said she feels sorry for anyone who does not have a friend like me. For one thing, you are really smart she said ..and insightful. How sweet of her. She always says something that builds me up. Thank you Judy. She called earlier in the day when our family was singing so I just pushed the speakerphone button when I saw it was her. She thought she had gotten the answering machine. We finished up our song and then she told all of us how she had gotten Sammy Jo a stuffed cat that meows whenever you walk past it. SJ is bent on finding the cat in their house and it is wrapped and under the tree.

No comments: