Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Golden Potato Soup

from 'More-with-Less-Cookbook' by Doris Janzen Longacre
Recipe submitted by Ruth Sommers, Kokomo, Ind.

Sometimes I write about what I am cooking on facebook.
My niece, Katrina, says my status always makes her hungry.
I did it again.
So here's the status recipe for those who are ready to come right over,
via plane, car, or superman.

Golden Potato Soup

Saute slowly in saucepan until yellow:
(I like to almost burn mine.)
2 T. oil or shortening (I use butter)
1/3 cup finely chopped onion

Blend in:(whisk)
1 T. flour
1 tsp. salt
dash pepper

Add:(whisk)
1 cup water
(I use potato water or chicken bouillon dissolved in water)

Boil 2 min., stirring constantly.

Add:
1 cup or more leftover mashed potatoes
(I make mashed potatoes just for this soup.
I use alot of mashed potatoes in the soup.)
2 1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup grated cheese

Heat slowly until cheese melts.
Do not boil.
Garnish with parsley or croutons.
(and/or crisped bacon)
(I add dill weed and garlic salt as well.
I also always cook my potatoes with some cloves of garlic.)

This soup is my friend Judy's favorite.
She makes happy noises when she eats it. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a lifesaver. Our copy of More with Less is 300 miles away and we needed to make a pot of this wonderful soup for a carryin. Thanks!
Dave and Paula