Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Lessons and Carols, Dec. 6, 2009

Cornerstone Christian Academy held its annual Christmas Program entitled, "Lessons and Carols", on Dec. 6, Sunday afternoon, at 2:00.

"Lessons and Carols" is, I believe, an Anglican tradition of over 100 years. Nine different scriptures are read which point to the coming of Christ and His second return. Christmas songs are sung by various classes in between the readings. Every year has the continuity of the scriptures along with the creativity of different songs. The first song, 'Once in Royal David's City' is a constant. A soloist sings the first verse and the students and congregation join in with the other verses as the students file in and sit down.

This year's highlights for me were as follows:

Select Choir's singing of 'O Holy Night' and 'The Lord's Prayer'. The four girls, Clarissa, Mikayla, Sydney, and my Susan, sang with such beauty and unity that people were moved to tears. Mikayla smiled as she sang and I am so glad that her Bell's Palsy is almost a distant memory. What would the world do without Mikayla's smile?

During practice, only one little kindergarten girl held a baby Jesus during their song, "Away in a Manger." The other little girls looked longingly at the baby and I told Cynthia that they all need to have a baby. "Four baby Jesus's?" she wondered. "Yes." Fortunately, Stacy had five baby Jesus's and all of the little girls happily cuddled Him in their arms while they sang during the program. (How do you spell the plural of Jesus?)

The Shorter Family sang, "O Come, O Come Emmanuel." Larry accompanied Susan, Logan, and Cameron on the guitar. It was hauntingly beautiful and had me in tears during practice.

K-2 sang "Little Drummer Boy" and "Silent Night." I loved the certainty in their voices when they got to the 'pa-rum-pa-pa-pums'.

3-5 graders sang 'The Wisemen Followed the Star' and they sang it like they loved it. They then sang 'Here I am to Worship' and it was truly worshipful. A number of people commented on that song.

6-12 graders sang 'Emmanuel', 'Come Thou Long Expected Jesus', and 'Joy to the World.' We sang 'Joy to the World' in four part harmony. Mikayla sang alto. Henry and Gavin sang tenor and Michael sang bass. It was nice.

There were a number of Christmas carols sung by the congregation while the students came up and took their places.

I loved the way Caleb read his scripture.
I told him that he's a 'preacher man' and he said, "Thank you."
I also love to listen to my Michael read. He reads with authority and understanding and I think everyone else pays as much attention to his words as I do.

The whole school sang, 'Sing the Glory of His name' as our Grand finale, followed by 'Adeste Fidelis'-Latin for 'O Come All Ye Faithful'. The students filed back to their seats as the sang.

Afterwards, the PTF had a huge spread of food for everyone to eat. There must have been 300 people there. The older students had to keep bringing in chairs during the program as people continued to come in.

It was a great day.
The church service in the morning filled my spirit.
The noon meal filled my body.
And 'Lessons and Carols' filled my soul.
I ate a continual feast all day
and I am full.

No comments: