Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Quotes My Mother saved for me

My mother gave me a large manila envelope full of articles and quotes she has saved over the years. She thought I might like to blog them. She thought right.

Here are some quotes by G.K.Chesterton.(Born 1874; died 1936)
It was his book, "Everlasting Man," that was responsible in leading C.S.Lewis to Christ.

"The supreme stamp of the barbarian is the sacrifice of the permanent to the temporary."

"A martyr is a man who cares so much for something outside him that he forgets his own personal life. A suicide is a man who cares so little for anything outside him that he wants to see the last of everything."

"Humility is the realization that to the universe, oneself is not I, but he."

"It is not bigotry to be certain we are right, but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong."

Paul Claudel says of Chesterton,
"His essential quality was a kind of triumphant common sense."

Check out the nearly 100 books and thousands of articles he's written on a variety of subjects.




No comments: