Wednesday, December 9, 2009

"You Make me Feel Normal"

The other day, I was eating lunch with a friend. I had ordered a rice and bean tortilla and the rice and beans were falling all over me. When I apologized for my mess, my friend said, 'Oh, please. You make me feel so normal.'

I've been thinking about those words.

Aren't we attracted to the qualities in others that make us feel normal?
We think we have to be perfect and have it together but its the lack of togetherness that actually endears others to us.

I worship the majesty of God my Father,
but I am endeared to Jesus who became flesh
and dwelt among us.

I am endeared to His tiredness
and His need to be alone.
I feel His vulnerability in His words,
"Take this cup from me"
and "My God, why have you forsaken me?"
I love His dirty feet and His smelly robe
after He's spent a day in the sun with crowds
of once-sick people.

He bleeds like we bleed.
He sweats like we sweat.
He dreads like we dread.

His mother had to change His diapers, too.
He learned obedience through the things He suffered.
He was tempted in all areas of life just like we are.

And so, I worship God in His majesty,
and I love Jesus in His humility
as the Son of Man.

The other day,
I saw a man's hands shake from nervousness,
and I felt compassion for his humble humanity.

I heard a woman say that she developed an ulcer
during a time in her life when she should have trusted
God more and I was drawn to her humble humanity.

I berate myself sometimes for not having it more together at my age.
I think I should stop doing that.
When I have it all together,
I'll be dead.

I am human
and it is so much easier
to be humbly human
when I recognize that others
are humbled by their humanity
as well.

We can make people feel like we have it made
and that no one else can be as good or as excellent
or as smart
as we are.

Or, we can make them feel normal
and pave the way for friendship.

So go ahead and take a bite
and spill your rice and beans.

Be humbly human
and enjoy your life.





No comments: