Monday, December 13, 2010

Hertzler Doings~Dec. 13-20, 2010

Mon.-Two hour delay led to no school. Slept in. Nice long time to study this morning. Read chapter on Fasting in Foster's book. Our church will have a 21 day fast in Jan. Several churches will be joining us. Made cookies with Michael and Susan's help. Monster, gingersnaps dipped in white chocolate, peanut butter crackers dipped in chocolate, and some sugar cookies for the K/1 to decorate this Thursday. Watched a chick flick with Susan. Temperature keeps dropping.

I am thankful that there was no school today. I am thankful for Phil's happy whistling. I am thankful that his brother Joe called to check on us.

Tues.-After school, the select choir went to the Hubler's house to semi-watch 'The Sound of Music' and make homemade pizzas. It was really nice. The kids were getting loud and completely at ease from drinking high Voltage Mt. Dew. They played 'Pit' and I realized that we should have scratched the movie and played games instead.

I am thankful for the opportunity to watch and hear Jane in her own natural habitat.
I am thankful for Graham's giggle.
I am thankful for good friends.

Wed.-Iced cookies with K/l during music class since we might not have school tomorrow. Made broccoli cheese soup with extra broccoli in fridge. Exchanged gifts with other teachers and received gifts and sweet notes from the children. Picked up Phil at the auto shop where he left his aging truck. As we drove up to our house and I saw all of the upheaval on the property what with Phil getting ready to rebuild,etc. and saw the trusses parked in the middle grass, the overwhelming thought in my mind was this, "I will do something new." I am thankful that He will. Raced around here and got supper together and some jobs done and went out to Farmville. Went to Tractor Supply and picked up a few gifts. Took Susan to youth group and then went to Lindsay's violin recital at the Daily Grind, which was very sweet, and then to Missi's to visit with her and Nanette and Makenzie for a brief half hour. Picked up Susan and went to Walmart and I think I am now finished with my Christmas shopping!

I am thankful for Adi's wiggly loving.
I am thankful for Emma's first violin recital and for the way she sat so still on my lap when she was finished.
I am thankful for the good feeling of having a little something to give to those I love.

Thurs.-SNOW! No school. Phil, Freeman, and Philip working in Appomattox. Michael and Susan at home, playing games, watching movies, and making incredible homemade doughnuts. I did at least 5 loads of wash and wrapped 99% of the gifts and put them under the tree. Snow turned to rain and I doubt if we'll have school tomorrow. Thinking about how often the natural provides a picture of what is about to happen in the spiritual. What does that mean in light of fire, wind, snow, rebuilding....?

I am thankful for the jolts that occur in the natural which wake us up from the tyranny of the mundane. I am also thankful for the foundation that stays firm when the tyranny of the urgent screams for attention over the quiet voice of God. I am thankful that if we live and move and have our being in Him, He keeps us steady, and we are less apt to fall prey to the pendulum swing between the tyranny of the urgent and the tyranny of the mundane.

Fri.-no school. Susan sick-pale and dizzy. I made chocolate chip-white/milk-cookies, per Susan's request and oatmeal raisin per Freeman's request. Cleaned up house. Made a turkey and tortilla meat mix. Watched Monk. Cookie bake for tomorrow is cancelled. Thankful for several laid back days in a row. Still coughing but feeling better. Thankful for the sweet note cousin Steve wrote on face book when I printed mother's poem about snow. Thankful that God showed Phil what His will is...to rejoice evermore. His countenance shines and I am glad.


Sat.-Freeman came over to hunt and brought his sweet wife with him. She and Susan helped me clean out the fridge. I made Tinkerbelle plates for the Bantons and Alli made a plate too. She is quite the artist. We watched, "It Takes Two." Philip came in to eat lunch and was saying each line before it was said. Remembered it from year ago. Got violently ill after eating a piece of romaine lettuce and missed the Grunert party which I look forward to every year. Freeman, Alli, and Susan went. Phil stayed home to be with me. Micah disappeared during the party and they found him in Jack's apartment, snuggled up to him, watching 'Tom and Jerry'. I am thankful that Susan has an older sister in Alli. I am thankful that Alli did Susan's make up in a very nice way. I am thankful that eventually one has to stop throwing up. (sorry about this)

Sun.-Stayed home from church since I am not sure about being upright-physically that is. Watched a sermon on GodTV and I think I might be pretrib now. No man knows the hour and the seven years of tribulation has a specific beginning and end. He said that what restrains the evil is the church and when that is taken out, the evil one will take over. And what is keeping the rapture from taking place is the church. We do not have the maturity or the glory that God is seeking for in His bride. I am not giving his name because am not certain quite that even now I've got it right. Later in the day, Phil and I watched a documentary of sorts on Derek Prince. It was heartwarming and challenging to see a man serve God to the very end. He was with his first wife as she passed away and as she took her last breath, she resorted back to her childhood language, as is often the case, and she said words in Danish which meant, "Thank you for the blood." He said that Jesus also resorted back to His childhood language of Aramaic when He cried out on the cross, "My God, my God. Why have you forsaken me?" We watched some other Christmas movies and I was grieved later, that we allowed into our home via the television, what we would never allow to take place in our homes in real life. I wonder about the mixture of flesh and spirit and I think that if we did not dilute our spiritual lives with the things of this world, we would be much farther along in being the mature and full of His glory body of Christ. It starts with what we allow in our homes. If the watchmen aren't watching what is going on in the home, how can we even consider protecting the church? I think it goes with our eating as well. If I ate healthy food instead of the mixture of junk and healthy food I ingest, how much better I would feel and how much more ready would I be to function and work in the body of Christ. Everything I do affects another person. My lack of discipline affects others in a negative way. I am thinking about these things and I am poor and needy. And even in this state, He comforts me and shows me that His kingdom is one of deficits and benefits and minuses and pluses. "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted." Perhaps renewal comes when we realize how much we need Him. Perhaps renewal and revival comes not when we have it together, but when we cry out to Him because we are sick and in need of a Physician. I don't know. I don't know much. But what I do know makes me responsible for what I know. God help me. I am thankful for His mercy. I am thankful for this time apart from the masses so I can be alone with Him. I am thankful for His chastening because it means He loves me. I am thankful that He will change me.

No comments: