Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The World of Books

When I was young in the country, my mother read to us an hour every night. She read from Egermeir's Bible Story Book and also from the good old classics. She would read until her voice gave out and then we'd get her some water and she'd read some more. She would cry when she'd read 'Old Yeller' and that was heartbreaking and we'd have to cry too.

In 1960, she wrote a poem entitled, "The World of Books." I want to share it here because I am thinking about the gifts and books we received as children at Christmastime. I am so very thankful for the time she invested in reading to us. She continues to mark and read deep and wonderful books, and sometimes, I have the privilege of inheriting one of those books.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World of Books-B.L.D.

We have lived with Laura
In the Big Woods,
We have watched them gather
And store their food.

We love Christopher Robin
And Winnie-the-Pooh
Piglet and Eeyore
Kanga and Roo.

We saw how a spade
And an evergreen tree,
Made small Peter's dream
A reality.

We laughed till we cried
At Huckleberry Finn,
As he and Tom plotted
The freedom of Jim.

From Paddy the Beaver
We learned nature's ways,
And the nice things that come
From a few words of praise.

We've followed Jesus,
Peter and Paul,
The ageless prophets,
Moses and Saul.

Oh, the world of books
Is a wonderful place.
We can explore any age,
Meet any race.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you, dear Mother, for reading to me.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I just love this. Thanks for sharing.