Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Hertzler Doings~Dec. 27-Jan.2, 1011

Mon.-included on last week's blog. (Spent with Hertzler's in Pa. and traveling home.)

Tues.-Completely wiped out. Tidied house and did some wash. Finished the book Mom and Dad gave Freeman and Alli. Blogged.

Thankful that Susan got to sleep most of the morning into the afternoon. I thought she was asleep and then I noticed that she posted some things on face book. Thankful for my brother, Abe's call, returning Phil's, and that I got to hear his cheerful voice. He said that he has my blog earmarked. Makes me a little nervous. Thankful for rest. How can traveling make one so weary?

Wed.-First day I have had energy and have felt good for weeks. Got so much accomplished. Washed, cleaned, and played games with Susan and Phil in eve. Michael got back from Richmond. Has been there 3 days. Thankful for beautiful sunny day, for strength, and for the sense that I am finally 'waking' up.

Thurs.-Another good day. Phil to Dr. for sore eye. Must have gotten something in it. Also to chiro. for his sore shoulders that keep him awake at night. I wanted Vit. B from Dr. F. They didn't have any on hand so called and said that they were sending prenatal vitamins. I said, "Well, you never know." They said that he went white and held on to the counter. I heard him say, "Four's enough." Judy, Sammy Jo, Lindsay, Adi, and Emma came for lunch today. Alli had picked Susan up in the morning to take her to church to set up for the youth group's lock-in. Lindsay picked her up around 11:30 and brought her along back here. We had a nice lunch of mashed potato soup, sliced apples and veggies, Christmas cookies, cinnamon buns, and coffee and Lindsay's special popcorn. The little girls watched Toy Story 3 while we sat around and talked, planned sewing room organizations, and pieced together outfits for me from what I had on hand. Judy and I sang 'O Holy Night' while I played it on the piano and I had another great Christmas moment. Lindsay recorded it but Judy won't let her post it on facebook because she said she sounded like a cow but she didn't. Lindsay took Susan and I out to Davis's to pick up our car. J*** said that he has an '07 caddy that I would look really good in. What a great sales pitch. They also told us that our tags were 2 months old. Yikes. Went to Miller's and saw Helen and Michelle. We are trying to figure out when we can get together. Susan and I went to Krogers and Walmart and came home and heated up the soup and watched 'Little Women.' Phil went to Harrisonburg to pick up some conveyor parts and won't be home until after 11. Susan found out that Makenzie cannot come this week. This is a rough time for their family. I am thankful that my mother's Christmas money gift is going towards a new mixer. I am thankful for Lindsay who helped me order it from Amazon. I am thankful that it is a deluxe version and I will be able to make bread again. I am thankful that the fire made me realize that I should use my good dishes now for the people most precious to me-my family, and my little Adi, Emma, and Sammy Jo and their Marmees. And now the old every day dishes are back on the shelf to be confiscated by college bound students, etc. and my beautiful white dishes with grape designs are in my kitchen cupboards.

Fri.-Worked things out to go shopping with Ruth H. and Susan in Lynchburg. Spent my Christmas money instead of saving it to go to the shore. Bought cookie tins, purse, thank you cards, tea towels and dish cloths at Ross. Got a spice organizer also a Susan Boyle CD. Listened to it and went to sleep last night. Such a sweet lilting voice and what a story of triumph. We ate at Golden Corral and it was like a family reunion in there. Everyone so friendly. I missed Va. friendliness when I was in Pa. We met Makenzi, Lynn, and Sam at the entrance to the Food Court outside the mall around 6. (It worked out afterall .) They came the whole way from Kentucky and are staying at a motel in Lynchburg while we have Makenzie until Sunday morning. We met Graham at Pamplin Exxon and came home for a bit and then turned around and went out to New Life's Lock-In. The girls were high on ale-8 and with the sheer joy of being together. I came home and made popcorn and Phil and I watched the movie-"The A-Team"-very good. Were in bed and brought in the New Year thanking God for His faithfulness to us. I am thankful for Makenzie's parents, who rearranged the processing of grieving their awful loss two years ago on this day, and brought their other daughter to be with us. I am thankful for their trust. I am thankful for the neighbor who called and said to Phil, "What's mine is yours." He told him where his tools are and how to get them.

Sat.-Woken by Susan's call around 6:45. Thought they might not be at church until 10 to clean up afterall but said they'd call when they'd found out. Called about half an hour later and I scurried around and got out there but still was the last person there to pick up the kids. Felt so bad for Pastor Alvin who had to be very tired and sleepy. Phil made us all bacon and eggs and the kids are wiped out on the sofa semi-viewing the A-Team movie. Graham is getting picked up around noon. Freeman and Alli came over in the afternoon and watched a movie with the others in the man cave while Freeman smoked some turkey for their evening meal with the Shippey's next door. I am thankful for that Phil got out his guitar this morning while Graham was here who also plays guitar. I am thankful for the song that he sang as a prayer,"Forever Young" especially for Makenzie I'm sure. Phil and Philip went hunting over at O'Brien's. Found a bear carcass and something had been eating it. They think it was another bear. Carnibal! Thankful for the opportunity to blog since July, 2008.

Sun.-Met Makezie's parents at Cornerstone and had a hard time saying good bye. Got to church a bit late. The song that stays with me has the words, "There is a river whose streams make glad the city of our God..." Pastor Frank preached more on fasting. He summarized the disciplines covered so far-Studying God's Word-(If you don't know the Word of God you don't hear His voice), Giving-(Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also), and Faith-(Without faith it is impossible to please God). Faith is believing that when you pray, God hears you right away. Sometimes He answers right away and other times, the prayer is a seed and needs to go through a process in order to reap a harvest, but always, He hears you right away.

The most important thing to remember to do when you fast is to pray. If we are not praying when we fast, we are just dieting. The intent of the 21 day fast that our church is participating is to pursue God; we want to crave Him instead of craving food. We'll draw near to Him and He will draw near to us.

The three points that Pastor Frank wanted us to remember about fasting were the following:

1-If it doesn't mean anything to you, then it will not mean anything to God. Let the fast cost you something. Let it be a sacrifice.
Sometimes we have to unplug to reboot. Let things go. Unplug. When you are done unplugging, you'll know what you really want to show up on your screen. You'll know what is important.

2-God will never send you some place where He's never been. Fasting can get you into the place where God's anointing already rests on what He has for you. You walk into the room where the answers are already there. He's already been in that place and room; preparing it for you.
There will be a revelation of flesh when you deprive your flesh. So feed your spirit so your spirit can control your flesh.

3-There will be a storm. Remember the story of Jesus walking on the water out to the disciples when they were on the sea in the midst of the storm? Remember to look for Jesus walking nearby on top of the stormy waves. 'Where's your faith?' He asked them. Then He said, "Peace be still," and immediately, the storm ceased. We may be as amazed as the disciples were at the immediacy of answers given to us when He is present in the midst of our storm. If we keep our eyes on Jesus, we will be able to walk on the stormy waters with Him.

Lisa presented some practical ways of eating during a fast. Information notebooks were handed out and more will be available next week.

Came home and slept, rested, read 'Christy', watched 'Chicken Run.' Phil and I played 'Pick One' and he won again. Susan was sleeping. Chace was here with Michael and Philip was with Christi and some Harvest friends and the Planks.
I am thankful for this blessed day of rest.
I am thankful for Gil, Lindsay, Emma, and Adi, and for the way they were just 'with' us after church.
I am thankful that the Shippey's came to church and that one of the fasting books that Lisa recommended was the book their pastor had written.

No comments: