Thursday, December 2, 2010

Conjunctions

I've been thinking about conjunctions.

The specific conjunctions I am thinking about include two halves of a sentence.
The first half requires you to be honest with where you are at with God, life, and yourself.
The second half is for God to fill in.

Too often, we write the first half of a sentence and put a period at the end.
But we should put a semi-colon; so God can finish the sentence for us.

Sometimes, it seems like He takes His good old time to finish writing.
Sometimes, it takes awhile for us to be still and hear what He has to say.
Sometimes, we need to search His Word for the ending to our sentence.

I wrote quite a few sentences tonight in my notebook.
I wrote my half and I wrote God's half for Him.
I decided to write some of them here.
But I will leave out my first half, so you can write your own honest
first part of the sentence.
I have hopes that the second part of the sentence-God's part-after the conjunctions, will bless you as much as it has blessed me.

Let me give you an example:
I say,
"I am fearful of more devastation; (and God's part...)
and the mountains shall depart and the hills will be removed,
but My kindness shall not depart from you nor My covenant of peace
be removed from you."

So my half has a lot to do with despair, but God's half has a lot to do with hope.

"I am human; but God is God." Get it?

Let's try it. Take the time to fill in a few blanks.

"...Fill..in..the..blank...; but God will provide for us from His riches in Heaven."

" ....................................; but underneath are the everlasting arms."

".........................................; but the Lord is my Shepherd and I shall not want."

"..................................; but there is One who sticks closer than a brother."

".........................................; but I wait only upon God, for my expectation is from Him."

".............................; but He will never leave us or forsake us."

".................................; but His strength is made perfect in weakness."

"............................; but He will fully satisfy the weary soul and replenish the sorrowful soul."

"......................; but we shall be satisfied with His goodness."

"...............................; but our work will be rewarded and we shall come back from the land of the enemy."

".................................; but His plans for us are for good and not for evil to give us a future and a hope."

"...................................; but I shall yet praise Him, who is the help of my countenance and my God."

".......................................; but the Lord will command His lovingkindness in the daytime and in the night His song will be with me."

Tonight, when I started writing these sentences, I was more aware of the truth in the first half of the sentences, but when I was finished writing them, I was more aware of the truth in the second half. It is good to be real and to be honest with God. But it is good to let Him make our realness complete with His realness. Without our honesty, there would be no conjunction for God to write His Word in our pain. Without our pain, we wouldn't much need His second half of our sentence. And without His second half, we wouldn't be able to breathe. We wouldn't have hope. We would die.

I love the freedom to be fully human.
I think being fully human helps me trust God to be fully God.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Weeping may endure for the night; BUT joy comes in the morning.
In this world, you shall have tribulation; BUT be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.

The Word of the Lord.
Thanks be to God.

No comments: