Monday, March 7, 2011

Dear Old Words

I've been playing the piano and singing
my way through the hymn book.
It's more addicting than face book.
The pay-offs are great.
Read some of the dear old words
I sang today.

"Break Thou the Bread of life,
Dear Lord, to me,
As Thou didst break the loaves
Beside the sea;
Beyond the sacred page
I seek Thee, Lord;
My spirit pants for Thee,
O living Word!"
(Mary A. Lathbury)

I love how we seek Him in the sacred page-the Bible-
and that we also seek Him beyond the sacred page.
What do you think that means?
I see Him written in the hearts of little children.
I see Him in my family.
I see Him in nature.
I see Him in the ordinary.
I see Him anytime there is grace and mercy shown.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One of my mother's favorite hymns
is also my favorite. It always made her cry.
I 'sang it for her' today.
I must use the color purple.

Still, still with Thee, when purple morning breaketh,
When the bird waketh, and the shadows flee;
Fairer than morning, lovelier than the daylight,
Dawns the sweet consciousness,
I am with Thee!

When sinks the soul, subdued by toil to slumber,
Its closing eye looks up to Thee in prayer;
Sweet the repose beneath Thy wings o'er shading,
But sweeter still to wake and find Thee there.

So shall it be at last, in that bright morning,
When the soul waketh, and life's shadows flee;
O in that hour, fairer than daylight dawning,
Shall rise the glorious thought,
I am with Thee. (Harriet B. Stowe)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
He is with us here on earth
and we'll be with Him in heaven.
We will never be without Him
for nothing can separate us from His love.
O glorious thought!
O joy!

1 comment:

robert said...

Greetings from Wordwise Hymns. And thanks for posting a bit of Mary Lathbury's beautiful hymn. I posted an article on it myself, today.

You ask what she means by, "Beyond the sacred page I seek Thee, Lord." I think it means that our Christianity must be more that merely the knowledge of facts in a book. Christ is revealed to us there so that we can have a personal relationship with Him, through faith (John 5:39; I Peter 1:7-8). God bless.