Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Mary and Martha

Perhaps you've heard of the story about Mary and Martha.

Jesus came to visit them and Martha was busy setting the table
and cooking the food and Mary was just being with Him.

Martha said to Jesus,
"Would you please tell Mary to help me get some work done around here?"

And Jesus said, "Martha, you are a very busy woman.
Mary is busy in a different way. She is just sitting at my feet
and learning from me. I just can't take that away from her."

I am telling this from memory and I might not have
it verbatim, but the story line runs something like that.

I woke up thinking about this story this morning.

Mary and Martha were both worshiping Jesus.
Martha was active and demonstrative in her worship.
Mary was quiet and demonstrated her love in a
listening sort of way.

In the body of Christ
we have Mary's and Martha's
and lots of other folks as well.

Jesus never told Martha that she should worship Him
like Mary worshiped Him.

And He never told Mary to worship Him
like Martha worshiped Him.

What He desires is that the
Mary's and the Martha's
worship
Him in spirit and in truth.

When we try to make the Mary's into Martha's
and the Martha's into Mary's
then we are deciding for them
how to demonstrate their love for God.

I know how that makes me feel.

I wonder how it makes Him feel?

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Thanks for your observations. I have always fought to be the way I am not....simply because I thought it was better than my way. I know I can get too caught up in my to-do lists, but it is freeing knowing that Jesus accepts me just as I am and receives my work as worship when that's my intention. You always bring me encouragement and I walk away....or scroll away... feeling refreshed and settled with who God made me. Thank you!