Monday, March 14, 2011

Hertzler Doings~March 14-20, 2011

Mon.-"Cherish that Matchless Name...that name is Jesus." This particular 'Hertzler Doings' is my one thousandth post. Some bloggers get many hits a day. I get maybe one or two new people checking out my profile daily. Still makes me feel funny. Whenever I am insecure about what I am writing, Lindsay helps me by saying, "Is this something you want to record for your children? Is this something you want your children to read?" And that helps me gain my perspective and remember why I started blogging in the first place and then I go ahead and print what I have written. I have 1765 profile hits. Sometimes I feel like I will never write again; I am just that empty. Other times, I cannot find enough time to write or rewrite what is scribbled in my notebook. Sometimes I think I should wait awhile so I can learn more through what I am studying and thinking. Other times, I have an urgency to share what I discovered that very morning. I am learning. Always learning. I am learning to be brave. I am learning to not be so paranoid. Learning to listen.

I am learning to pray and ask God to have the right people read what I write. I am learning to commit it to Him and not worry. I feel better when I've had a chance to write. I feel antsy if I can't get to the computer. Lindsay says that means I am addicted.~~~

Susan had off school today. She cleaned up the old house and her bedroom after her birthday weekend with her friends. She shared her leftover soda and snacks with the boys and they were very thankful. Michael went to Richmond today. His manager is off and he is doing all the training. He is thinking through many things right now. Philip and Freeman are putting the green tin roof on the new shed. It looks great. Alli came over after work and walked down to the river with Susan. The rooster was ready to attack them when they returned and she got in her car in a hurry. Phil and I went out to Appomattox in the afternoon to sign some papers and I checked in with my dentist in the same building. He is sending me elsewhere to get this bothersome tooth checked. Hopefully, a root canal will fix it. Hopefully, I will not need another implant. He's putting me on another antibiotic and offered pain meds but it hurts so much less than it did before. I am not sure if it's always a benefit to have such a high tolerance for pain. It's been 6 weeks that this tooth has bothered me and now it is obvious that it is not sinuses or the other tooth surgery that is giving me the problem. It just seems wrong to spend this much money on a tooth. Teeth. I made calls for WM and organized some things for the weekend. A man came and fixed our fridge and I have been putting things back in there. Phil and Philip went to the livestock auction to see how cattle are selling so they know when to send theirs.///I am thankful that Susan is here to keep Angel in her box. She seems to be in labor and is shaking. She wants to retreat under the sofa. I am thankful that Susan had a day off school so she could recover from her sugar laden girl crazy weekend. I am thankful for the kind professionals in Appomattox-the mayor who is also my dentist, and our lawyer, who loves to discuss hunting with Phil, and for his sweet secretary whom he fires several times a day. They are all just the best.

Tues.-Phil, Susan, and Philip took watches during the night, trying to help Angel bring puppies into the world. This morning when I woke up late at 7:30, Phil was sleeping on the sofa, Susan was sleeping on the easy chair, Philip was in his bed and Freeman was outside wrapped up in a blanket helping Angel. She had three puppies. The second one had died, so there were two. We went into school late and both Susan and I were occupied in our minds, wondering about Angel all day. I kept having a hard time forming words and communicating since I can't seem to think about a laboring dog and speak at the same time. We found out via phone calls from home, that they had taken Angel to the vet where she had a C-section and they delivered 6 more. One of them made it. The others were too weak. They brought her box into the house but she wants to be on the rug beside Phil's side of the bed, so Phil spent quite a bit of time, laying on his stomach, trying to get her to nurse the puppies. She is still a bit dopey from the anesthesia. We will have her inside for two weeks. Philip and Susan went to bed by 7. Phil and I are going to bed early too. So, we have two males and one female and I want to keep them all. Oh-I bought a six pack of beer at Walmart and I had to fight the religious urge to tell Shirley, my sweet check out lady that I always seem to have, that the beer was for our dog, to help bring in her milk. Susan said it was none of her business and that she could ask if she wanted to know. I thought too, that this dear lady, may have her own cold beer waiting at home, and that I shouldn't act so pious about such things, for there are a number of dear saints, who have no problem praying while nursing a beer, and therefore, I should not have a problem letting them do so. Just please, don't drive. ///I am thankful for the spring rain pattering in the dark night. I am thankful for the coveralls in the dryer and the rackety noise they make. I am thankful that we are right with God because of the righteousness of Jesus and that He has taken our sin and given us His righteousness. In this world, we will have difficulties-not because there is something wrong in our relationship with Him, but because we are in the world and the rain falls on the just and the unjust. And He encourages us to be of good cheer, for He has overcome the world.

Wed.-So exhausted from puppy duty last night. Angel wanted to be beside Phil on the floor. She smells bad. Then she decided to come over to me since she's a Christian dog and wanted to hear the man on the CD player reading the epistles. So I could hardly breathe. Plus she kept passing gas and Phil was snoring loudly. It was just too much. I got up and went out to the sofa where the puppie squeals and the heat lamp light kept me awake. Pretty good day at school teaching music classes. Went to a friend's house in the eve. to make some plans while Susan was at Vertical Edge.///I am thankful that German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers, and Boxers go to Heaven when they die. I am thankful for the fun some of the Jr.High and High School boys are having as they sing and act "Blow the Man Down." They pretend to hit each other at the end of each verse and several of them fall to the floor afterwards. There has never been a Recitatio like this in the history of Anglican Education. I am thankful that Angel has just enough puppies to keep her busy. She is enjoying her mix of dried food, canned Alpo, and beer. She's looking pretty happy too.

Thurs.-Phil had puppy duty last night and Susan and I slept. Still exhausted today. Ran errands. Taught Art. Came home and rested. Have much to do before going away for part of the weekend.///I am thankful for the sunny day and the sunburns the hardworking men have around here. I am thankful for the gorgeous music being played outside while the guys work. I wonder if its a sound track to Lord of the Rings. I am thankful that Buddy didn't kill that chicken he attacked and I am thankful that he wasn't killed by the rooster. I am thankful for the little 5 year old girl who wanted me to sit with her at lunch and she wanted to discuss the Twilight movies and why she doesn't watch them.

Fri.-Found out yesterday that the reason the HS/JR. High guys sang the sailor song so well was not because of their new sailor hats but because Susan threatened them by telling them that if they didn't do well, they'd have to sing it until they did, and then they'd miss out on Phys.Ed. and if they did that, she would throw the dodge ball extra hard at them. ;) When Philip woke up Susan this morning, something was wriggling beside her in bed. She had forgotten to put Buddy in his cage and he snuggled in bed with her during the night. She said, "So that's what was crawling all over me in the night!" John and Jeanne, our neighbor friends, stopped in to see us and the barn raising progress, the pigs, cows, and new puppies. That was nice. Later in the day, I went to pick up Lindsay, and we met other women at New Life in the Women's Ministry Team and drove to Bug's Island for a 'brainstorming retreat' in a nice house and beautiful surroundings. We were up rather late, praying, brainstorming, and reminiscing and telling stories. I fell asleep to the wonderful laughter. I loved to do that as a child. When we'd have company and I had to go to bed before they left, I left my door open so I could drift off to sleep while listening to voices talking and laughing.///I am thankful for Lisa's delicious chicken BBQ, baked potatoes, salad, and Michelle's dump cake. I am thankful for the education I received from GenXers tonight. I am thankful that every generation-Builders, Boomers, GenXers, and Millennials-all want to be involved in a purpose beyond themselves and also want to learn from the generations born before and after them as well as their peers.

Sat.-Slept well in a different bed. Other girls were saying that Phyllis and I were snoring off-beat with each other. Well, you can't help what you do when you're asleep is all I can say. More brainstorming. Focused on vision statement and purpose for the Women's Ministry. Ate lunch. More brainstorming. Very prosperous weekend. Came home and went on Gator to O'Brien's to see if the red buds were out. We have a hill of them. They are just beginning to bloom. I don't want to miss a minute of their beauty. Went over to Happy Valley with Phil and looked through the house and walked around while Phil loaded up some old wood to keep it from being rained on Monday. While I was away this weekend, Susan watched a Barlow girl song on utube and watched the piano player and learned how to play the song by watching the upside down piano keys which I can't quite fathom but she plays it exactly as it is played on the CD and she sings it too and I am amazed. She also took great care of the house and dogs and gathered four huge bags of watercress. Susan and I watched part of a Pink Panther movie and ate some popcorn. ///I am thankful to be home. I am thankful for my family and the beautiful place where we live. I am thankful that Michael's office in Winchester will have the business name of 'Hertzler and Associates.' I am thankful for the women in our church and community and the simple yet complex need we all have to love and be loved.

Sunday-God and the rooster woke me up very early. As soon as the rooster saw a light go on in the house, he stopped crowing. He was crowing at 4 this morning! We enjoy our Sunday School class on marriage. Guess what today's topic was? I'm not telling. It was a busy church service-testimonies, baptisms, communion, worship, etc. Pastor Frank didn't have much time. He shared Colossians 3:15-17-"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful. Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him." Remember, that wherever we are-church or out and about, in everything we do and say, that we are representing the Lord...Jesus is the Living Word and He sustains us by His word. He is our ever present help in time of need and He is interceding for us and holding us together by His prayers...In the days to come, God will give us wisdom to understand a deeper revelation of His word. (Deut. 29:29-"The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but those things which are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the Words of the Law.")(I asked someone about the revelations that Daniel referred to and he said that there are several kinds of revelation. When Isaiah prophesied about the Christ who was to come, that was one level of revelation. When Christ was revealed in the flesh, that was a deeper revelation of the former revelation. Does that make sense? It's not a new revelation. It's a deeper revelation of what has already been spoken. Fascinating.)
Can't get my black ink back.
Philip and Michael went to Calvary Chapel for their International Fellowship. Susan went to Kelli's for the afternoon. Phil and I were about to settle in for 'old people' naps when Janelle called and said Micah wanted to see the new puppies. Well, that was fun. I ended up holding the one for quite some time. Buddy was happy to be back with us. Angel wasn't so sure about all of us holding one of her puppies, because Alli was holding one too. She and Freeman came over to see the puppies and watch a Pink Panther movie. So we made some popcorn and settled in for a nice Sunday afternoon. Then we went to church in the eve. and had a great time.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

1000 posts!!!!!!!!! So monumental! Keep writing forever, please.