Thursday, June 23, 2011

Community

I've been thinking about ways to build community and at the same time, preserve the sanctity of our home and guard our time.

I think it is when we think that we are not important to the community that we begin to believe that what we do has little effect on the community. And it is when we don't realize how important we are to people that we can hurt them the most.

The church in Acts shared what they had with each other.
Common faith.
Common food.
Common time of fellowship.

What do I have to share?

I don't have a lot of gas money to run around and be with people.

What is in my hand to share?

I have a farm and property where there are environments
of peace where God dwells and where people can come and
get back to what's important-God, family, friends.

I have the river.
I have my chapel.
I have my road to walk on.
I have my sunrise and sunset.
I have a lawn and a kickball, volleyball, and basketball.
I have trees and shade and birds that sing.
I have firewood and matches and roasting sticks.
I have the wealth of a cheerful, generous husband who likes people too.

I have a listening ear and a non-judgmental heart.
I have simplicity and safety.
I have the peace of God.

Silver and gold have I none.
But such as I have give I thee.

What has God given you?
Where do you find yourself?
How can you build a sense of community
in your environment?

The days are coming when we will need each other
more than we do now.
It is better to build community during happy times
than it is to scramble to unite a community
in a day of crisis.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eccl. 9:4a-"...for him who is joined to all the living there is hope."

Hosea 11:4a-"...I drew them to Me with cords of human kindness...

Eccl. 4:9,10-"Two are better than one,...for if they fall, one will lift up his companion."

Gal. 6:2-"Bear one another's burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ."

Matt. 18:20-"For where two or three are gathered in My name,
I am there in the midst of them."

Mark 6:36-"...and other little boats were also with Him."

Prov. 13:20a-"He who walks with wise men shall be wise..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Take what you have and who you are
and stay in fellowship
and build community.


1 comment:

Shanda said...

Oh Anne, it seems to me you have sooo much to offer. I would love to come to your house; to walk in the outdoors, pray in the chapel, enjoy nature and talk. You have so much more than others have to offer: at least of the thing I believe to be truely important.