Saturday, June 4, 2011

Uncomplicated Simplicity

So, I am stuck on this theme of simplicity.
And just like when I was stuck on the theme of humility,
it seems like everything I read now has to do with simplicity.

Websters definition of simplicity is this:
"Having but one or a few parts or features;
uncomplicated;
not compounded or complex."

I am slowly working myself through
the book, "Disciplines for the Inner Life"
by Bob and Michael Benson.

Sure enough,
a writing on simplicity
was waiting for me as I turned
a page
a few weeks ago.
I can't seem to go beyond it.
I am stuck here.

Please read it with me.
It's from Albert E. Day's book,
"Discipline and Discovery."

"Seldom or never do we hear anything
about simplicity
as an essential discipline of the spiritual life.

Most of us have only a vague idea of the meaning
of the word.

Perhaps we had better begin with a definition.

Simplicity means "absence of artificial ornamentation,
pretentious styles, or luxury."
It is "artlessness, lack of cunning or duplicity."

Where there is simplicity,
words can be taken at face value.

There are no hidden or double meanings.

One says what one means
and means what one says.

There is no "joker"
concealed in the language to nullify
its obvious intent.

Simplicity does not mean
"easy to understand."

Paul was not always easy to understand.
Nor was Jesus.
Men are still wrestling with their great utterances.
But both Jesus and Paul are characterized by simplicity.

Their intention was not to confuse or deceive
but to clarify and illumine.

Where there is simplicity
there is no artificiality.

One does not try to appear younger,
or wiser, or richer than one is-
or more saintly!

Moffatt's translation of 1 Corinthians 13:4
hits it exactly when it says:
"Love makes no parade,
gives itself no airs."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just reading this again makes me realize
just how far I have to go.
Perhaps that is why I am not 'released' from this theme.

I was thinking about it several months ago
when the older school girls at school sang,
"Tis a gift to be Simple"
for Recitatio.

We talked about the meaning of the words.
I wanted them to grasp hold of the freedom
and flexibility that comes with humility and
simplicity.
Can you hear their sweet soprano voices singing?

"Tis a gift to be simple, 'tis a gift to be free
Tis a gift to come down where you ought to be.
And when you find yourself in the place just right
T'will be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gained,
To bow and to bend
we shan't be ashamed.
To turn, turn, will be our delight
For in turning, turning
we come round right."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ps. 116:6-"The LORD preserves the simple;
I was brought low, and He saved me."

Ps. 119:130-"The entrance of Your word gives light;
It gives understanding to the simple."

Rom.16:19b-"...but I want you to be wise in what is good,
and simple concerning evil."

11 Cor. 1:12-"...we conducted ourselves in the world
in simplicity and godly sincerity,
not with fleshly wisdom
but by the grace of God,
and more abundantly toward you."

11 Cor. 11:3-"But I fear...that your minds may be corrupted
from the simplicity that is in Christ."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post script:

After I finished writing the above, I was reminded about a conversation I had with a young woman I mentor. It's a mutually beneficial relationship for she mentors me also. I have never met such a wise young woman.

Anyway, I was telling her that I was sure that I had disappointed her...that I had not come through for her when she needed me most...that I wish I had done more....

It had been on my mind for some time.

But she said something like, "I don't think I ever felt that way. I don't think I was ever disappointed with you. I was more interested in your failings than in your perfections. I wanted to observe how you get up in the morning knowing that you failed the day before."

It makes me cry just reading this again.
Her words created a defining moment.
Time stood still.

We try so hard. I try so hard.
I want to do it right.
I don't want to disappoint anyone.

But the simple truth is this.
I must simply be myself.

I must fail.
I must disappoint.
I must be human.

Because there are those watching.

There are those longing to see how we appropriate
the mercy and grace of God into our failures.

They are not looking for perfection.
They are looking for people who are real.

The hardest thing about simplicity
is that it requires us to have
an unveiled heart,
an unveiled face,
an unveiled life.

And the easiest thing about simplicity
is that it sets us free to have
an unveiled heart,
an unveiled face,
an unveiled life.

No comments: