Saturday, June 25, 2011

More on 'Community'

I got up with my friend, Michelle, last evening over some Japanese food at the new Asian Restaurant near the theatre on third street. She had been out in Missouri for a Chi Alpha Training Conference and the emphasis of her training was on the theme of 'community.' I asked if I could requote her and she said 'yes.' She was quoting others words to me off the top of her head and I wrote them down on the restaurant menu. I write them here in no particular order.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In real community you are transformed as you give your full devotion to the community.

It is in the context of relationship that your message has meaning.

Transformation comes from doing life together following Jesus.

Present opportunities for Christ to be seen.

When we do not hide our imperfections from each other
it shows that we trust one another.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We talked about how Jesus 'did' community.
One on one.
One on two.
One on three.
One on twelve.
Sometimes, One plus twelve on a multitude.

His community with a small group changed the world.
It changed my life and yours.

What would happen if a leader mentored other leaders and those leaders mentored other people and so on and we had small groups of 'families' that came together for a big family reunion on Sunday morning?

People would know that they are important; that they belong; and that they in turn were to share what they know and how they live with someone else.
They would have a holy place.
A holy belonging.
A holy purpose and calling.

If we each took care of our own families and reached out to just a few others, we'd be in great shape.

I think we don't do this because we think we need to be perfect or at least better than we are. I think we are afraid to let others in; afraid that we'll disappoint them.

But life in community is about sharing strengths and weaknesses. Perhaps I don't have it together in an area but you do. Perhaps you are the answer to my weakness.

I wonder if we're too proud to have real community.
I wonder if we're too scared.
I wonder if we don't trust.
I wonder if we're afraid of the pain that comes from closeness.
We're afraid of being hurt
and we're afraid of causing hurt.
Of course we are going to be hurt
and cause hurt.
Of course we are going to fail.
We're not God.
Of course we are afraid.

It's too bad, really.
We're missing out on so much.
We think we have to have a table spread with the richest of foods
but the fact is,
the crumbs that fall from our table are more than enough
to help someone feel loved and full.
Most people ask for so little.

Obedience...to do it afraid.
Humility...to let others see our imperfections.
Simplicity...to be real and authentic.

I think these three things are needed
if we are ever going to experience
the community that Christ craves for us.

No comments: