Sunday, June 26, 2011

Which Words?

I was reading the story of the final days of Jesus in the book of Matthew.

After Jesus was taken by a mob from the garden, He was led away to Caiaphas the high priest, where the scribes and elders had gathered together. After several unfruitful attempts they finally found some false witnesses who were willing to use Jesus' own words against Him."This man said that he is able to destroy the temple of God and rebuild it in three days." Jesus said nothing in reply until the high priest said, "I put you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God!"

Of course, he didn't really want to know the answer to that. He just wanted Jesus to say 'Yes' so he could accuse him of blasphemy. Jesus gave him more than he asked for, much to his self-righteous delight. Jesus said, "It is as you said. And you will also see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven."

At this, the high priest tore his clothes and said, "He has spoken blasphemy! We don't need a second witness. He has witnessed against himself with these blasphemous words! What do you think?!" And they all replied, "He is worthy of death!"

Then they spat on His dear face and beat Him and others struck Him with the palms of their hands and said, "Prophecy to us, Christ! Who is the one who struck you?" He must have been blindfolded. He would have known their names and their voices. He had been in the temple many times. He could have told them who struck Him. He could have told them their latest transgression. He could have told them a lot of things. But He was silent, as a sheep led to the slaughter.

Fast forward some hours and see Him there, on the cross.

Again, it was the religious leaders mocking Him there.

"He saved others; Himself He cannot save. If He is the King of Israel, let Him get down from the cross. Then we'll believe in Him."(It reminds me of the temptation Jesus endured in the wilderness. 'Throw yourself down from the temple and people will believe in you when they see the angels catch you' sort of thing.) They went on, "He trusted in God; let God deliver Him now if He will have Him; for He said, 'I am the Son of God.'"

I find it hard not to hate these cruel men-
leaders who were supposed to represent God
representing the devil instead.

Do you know of anyone who is going through their own death right now?

Do you know of anyone hanging there, for the world to see, feeling abandoned, alone, betrayed?

I wonder if we will stand by them in their hour of greatest need.

I wonder if we will watch and pray and grieve with them.

I wonder if they will hear our words of encouragement-

"Thank you for all that you've done."
"Thank you for speaking into my life."
"Thank you for pouring out your all for us."

I hope they will not hear, "He saved others, let him save himself. He trusted in God; let Him deliver him now if He will have him."

I am not comparing anyone to Christ.

I am comparing myself to the self-righteous religious leaders.
And I want you to compare yourself to them as well.

I hope we are more like those angels who ministered to Jesus in the Garden while He struggled with the temptation to escape the drinking of the cup.

I hope we sing, "Remember the joy...remember the joy...remember the joy set before you."
I hope we sing, "It's gonna be worth it...it's gonna be worth it...it's gonna be worth it all."
I hope we say, "You will be rescued from the grave. God will not leave your soul to decay. Remember the new thing. Remember the resurrection. Remember how beautiful the forest becomes after a cleansing fire. Remember that there is light at the end of this twisted tunnel."

And I hope they hear the sweet Voice of Redemption singing over their night by the One who has their name engraved in the palm of His hand. "You are not forgotten. I will never leave you or forsake you. Take Courage, my child, take courage, as you die a thousand deaths and wake up to see the dawn."

What will you say?
How close will you stand?
Who will you represent?

Mercy triumphs over judgment.

Every day I see and hear the mercy, love, and grace of our Lord Jesus Christ represented by those who understand what it means to need forgiveness.

And I am glad.

Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy.

And we are going to need mercy.

No comments: