Monday, June 13, 2011

Hertzler Doings-June 13-19, 2011

Mon.-I am thankful that I had the energy and the time to clean up two gator loads full of garbage bags and junk from around the property. I did what I could. Now the rest is up to them. ;) Also cleaned the entryway and bathroom with Susan's help. Swept up my little chapel and washed some linens and took some porch chairs down. Took frozen scrapple and sausage out to Mickey's freezer so we'd have room for ice and ice cream. The count down has begun. I am thankful for the mercy of God. I am thankful that the ripple effect caused by the Rock of Christ splashing into the pool of God's mercy whose waters are replenished every morning, like a large wave, overtakes the ripple effects of sin before it reaches the shore. I can see this in my mind's eye. I am not sure how to describe it.

Tues.-Cut out Susan's dress. Cleaned up some trouble spots in the house. Alli came in the eve. and we worked on her pink eyelet dress. I am thankful that normalcy is out there somewhere, waiting for me. I am thankful that Susan wants to wear a dress and one that we make at that! I am thankful for Michael's cheerful voice when he talks on the phone. I am thankful that Freeman has a gem for a wife.

Wed.-Cleaned up our bedroom and my desk. Worked up the garden and sowed some zinnia seeds with Sheriff's help. The pig got out and stuck his head between my legs while I raked the garden. Phil called, 'Bacon, bacon, bacon!' and Saturday's pork ran after him, hoping for the garbage in the bucket Susan carried. Alli came in the eve. to work on her dress. We've done as much as we can do. Judy will fit it on her on Sat. and take it home to put the finishing touches on it. We had homemade oatmeal waffles, hot off the press, with cookies and cream ice cream melting between them for supper tonight. I am thankful for Phil's love. I am thankful for Susan's steadiness. I am thankful for Alli's cheer. I am thankful for Freeman's strength. I am thankful for Philip's compassion. I am thankful for Michael's zeal. I am thankful for God's forgiveness.

Thurs.-Woke up early and got in some exercise and a walk and some time at my chapel before running to Farmville this morning. We picked up the rolls, bought Miller's popcorn-the best-, stopped in at Woodland and heard Elvis, went to Tractor Supply, Kroger, Roses, and Walmart and got home around 1:15. Finished cleaning my room for now and did several loads of wash. Took a deep nap and woke up with a different mindset. A much better one. Walked a bit with Sheriff but he was feeling lazy so I didn't push it because I felt the same. I am thankful that tomorrow, our pig roast event starts, with the killing of the three little pigs in the morning and the final clean up of the property the rest of the day. I am thankful that what gets done gets done and I hope I have learned to let the rest go. I am thankful that Susan figured out a swimming outfit today after much trial and error. I am thankful for the threatening sky. Maybe we'll get some rain. (Got a wild storm. Phil went up to check on our neighbor, Mickey, in the midst of it since it looked like her house got struck by lightning. I fell asleep before he got back.) The alarm went off at midnight and I was sleeping so deeply that Phil came around the bed to turn it off. There is no reason it should have gone off, so I figured God woke me up to pray for someone who was on my mind.

Fri.-The most relaxing pre-pig roast day in history. Alli came over and helped us clean up tables, coolers, porches, windows, doors, etc. Billy and Becka came over after lunch and helped us do more. They are expecting their first baby in Feb. I think. Nathan, his brother, is coming tonight. He'll pitch his tent outside and we'll find him there in the morning, just like last year. We've known them their entire lives. We girls relaxed and watched a movie in the afternoon-Knight and Day. We brought in the futon mattress and Alli and Susan laid on the floor, Becka took the easy chair, and I laid down on the sofa after popping some homemade fries in the oven to bake. Freeman smoked some of his wild turkey breast and we had fries, coleslaw, turkey, and watermelon for supper. Billy and Becka followed Alli and Freeman home where they will spend the night. Tomorrow is the big day and I am so relaxed about it. ///I am thankful that Dianna's home again. I am thankful for a good night's sleep last night. I am thankful for our cleaned up property.

Sat.-Pig Roast Day! Hot! A good day. Had deeper conversations with more folks than normal. Met a new friend or two. Kickball was king and the river was too. Had a nice rain and the Sandridges helped me collect garbage while it rained. Logan and Bradley came down with Michael around 7. I think my favorite part of the day was showing Sara the river for the first time and also inviting her to come into my cottage. Ernie and Amber were along as well. She loved both. I also took Amanda to the river and ended up telling her that I had written about her in my blog and she said, "That was you?' Someone had told her that I had written about her and she checked it out. I am thankful that people love to come here. I am thankful for this bit of heaven on earth that we get to share. I am thankful for the dream to open our place up more often, perhaps having outdoor movie nights, using the old house outside walls as a screen.
Ice cream, kickball or the river, etc. and a movie at dark. Sunday or Friday eves. I am thankful for that dream.

Sun.-Woke early but went to church late. Great service. Deep practical life-changing teaching about fulfilling our roles as man, woman, and child, just as Christ fulfilled the role God called Him to before the foundations of the world were formed. Sweet fellowship afterwards. Came home and ate leftovers. Freeman and Alli stopped in for a bit. Erin was here and Phil invited Micah to come over and watch Three Stooges. We relaxed and ate popcorn and ice cream all afternoon and shortly after 6, Michael, Logan, and Brads left for Winchester. Phil found some great stones on his walk. Erin's major was history and she has been doing some archaeological digging, which is right down his alley. I am thankful for all of my children and for Alli. I am thankful that Phil is their father. I am thankful for my father's sense of humor, his good judgment, his wisdom, and his desire that I always be happy. Happy Father's Day, Daddy.

No comments: