Monday, June 27, 2011

Hertzler Doings~June 27-July3, 2011

Mon.-Been dragging all day because I didn't sleep last night much. Worked on computer, did two loads of wash, exercised, took a walk, studied, read a book, went to the neighbor's to retrieve our meat from her freezer and another neighbors to get some sweet corn. I am thankful that Sheriff was so very glad to see me this morning and that he did not hurt me or my glasses when he hit my face with his dirty paws. I had to change clothes, wash my face and glasses, and was tasting grit for some time. Yesterday, I didn't give him any attention. I learned my lesson. Susan posted a picture of herself looking up at Lady Liberty. She's been texting Philip and letting him know how she is. He is not happy that she is in New York City and pulled one of the male adults aside and asked him to keep an eye on her. I had done the same a few weeks ago with the same man. We have our reasons for choosing him. She told Philip that they saw a man in a bicycle get hit by a car and the car didn't stop. It made her sad because it made her think of her Uncle Johnny. ///I am thankful for the indigo bunting who thought my cottage would let him in. His lifeless little body so beautifully effervescent blue reminded me of how God cares for the little sparrows when they fall and that He cares for the little things and therefore cares for me. I am thankful for the rain last evening. Our corn was begging for it. I am thankful that the tub water's running and it's only 8:11 PM.

Tues.-Got caught up in the story of Leah today and wrote about it. Then had to scurry to meet DDF at Baine's for lunch and coffee and sweet friendship. Stopped in at school to take care of Michael's paper work and realized it was time to hand over my keys. It was harder than I thought and Marcie and I both had to cry. She showed me a photo slide show of her grandchildren. It was nice to see how they've grown. Got a few groceries. Made bruschetta for supper. Watched an amazing storm come through. Clouds were going quickly in circles around us. High winds and rain and lightning and thunder. It was wonderful. Phil and I laid on the bed and watched it. I said to him, "Some people have their songs but we have our storms."///I am thankful for the little herd of rabbits I saw running before the storm hit us. That made me a bit uneasy because they seemed to want to get out of the way of approaching danger. I am thankful that Phil didn't go to the Farm Bureau meeting after all. I am thankful for Naomi's phone call and that she thought about me all last weekend because she was at the shore with Mabe.

Wed.-Went over to Jeanne's to see her garden and to enjoy a cup of tea in her company on her beautiful front porch. What a dear friend she is. Went out to church for a women's meeting and then out to eat with several very wild friends. Macado's will never be the same. Thank you Lisa, Lindsay, Michelle, and Ann for the gift of serotonins. I needed them. I kept laughing out loud in my car as I drove home and was glad that no one could hear me. Just as I was ready to go to sleep, Phil told me a story about Susan in NYC. Then I had trouble sleeping. ///I am thankful for Phil and the way that he loves me. I am thankful for friends who I can laugh and cry with. I am thankful that Macado's didn't kick us out last night.

Thurs.-Lovely day. Girl Friends started coming around 11 and the last friend left soon after 4. We went down to the river for a lunch of hot dogs, s'more's, watermelon, etc. The children played in the sand and water and conversation and reflection abounded. I want to write down who was here so I won't forget it and I want to do it again before summer's end. Thank you for coming, Dee, Adele, Anna, Archer, Lindsay, Adi, Emma, Diane, Eli, Sam, Laura, Michelle, Erin, Karen, Lori, Ginger, Ryder, Worth, Ilsa, Crystal, Titus, Gideon, and Mattie (Michelle's boxer). I didn't want people to leave. I had to be back at the house for my insurance call and she was so encouraging. I am so close to being able to graduate again.///I am thankful that Phil and Philip were thrilled with hot dogs for supper. I am thankful for the book 'Safely Home' about the persecuted church in C. and how it will change my world view. I am thankful that Michelle is thinking about blogging because I love hearing her talk and reading her words.

Fri.-Another great day even though I didn't sleep much again last night. Went with Lori K. to Lynchburg. We ran some errands in Appomattox and headed West to Olive Garden where she treated me to the all you can eat salad/bread/soup lunch. I-YI-YI! as my dad would say. Our waitress was so sweet. At the next table, a 2 year old little girl was eating happily and suddenly she yelled, "HI!" and held her hands up high and smiled so delightfully. We went to Ollie's, TJMax, Food Land, Sweet Frog, and a few other places, talking non-stop the whole time. Lori had pulled up to a stop sign and waited until the light turned green and soon I had to tell her that there was no light there and we got a bit hysterical over that. Wonderful, wonderful day. Came home and made Phil a cup of the decaf chocolate raspberry coffee I got at TJMax and sweetened it with agave and topped it off with cream and we had our dessert in a mug. Then we went over to O'Brien's in the gator and checked the crops and the blackberries over there. Heard a bear walking around in the thicket. Came home and went to bed.///I am thankful for Sweet Frog caramel, chocolate, cappuccino, vanilla, and peach frozen yogurt. I shouldn't eat for a week. I am thankful for every friend I have and how each one is near and dear to me. I am thankful for my stretch pair of jeans that I happened to wear today.

Sat.-A lazy Saturday. Unheard of. Phil put a different sink vanity in Susan's bathroom and I think she'll be pleased when she gets home. I cleaned the house and did some wash and tidied up after my dogs outside. Puppies get into Everything! Freeman and Alli stopped in to pick up a few things. Today is his 27th birthday! He's never been happier. I read "Safely Home" for the greater part of the day and finished it late at night. I don't see how I'll ever be the same. It is written by Randy Alcorn and it is about the persecuted church in China. ///I am thankful that God is always drawing me in deeper. I am thankful that it is better to honor people than it is to fear them. I am thankful that Phil doesn't mind if I read with the lights on. I am thankful that Susan will have quite the stories to tell. I am thankful that Philip got to fish with his buddies today. I am thankful that Freeman was born. I am thankful, that when he was in kindergarten, Alli was born.


Sun.-I was reminded today that we must contend for our faith, our lifestyle, and for the fullness of God's power. I was reminded also that there is a time to mourn. Mourning over our sins occurs before we can experience revival. We must use the 'heaviness' to ask God to search our hearts and to see if there is any wicked way in us. We must use the 'heaviness' to repent and grieve. There is a Godly heaviness that we must embrace. We must contend for repentance if we are ever going to experience times of refreshing. God is the one who gives us the garment of praise for a spirit of heaviness. He gives beauty for ashes, and the oil of joy for mourning. We cannot pretend to have what only He can give. We must not short-change His work because we are uncomfortable with it. And His work has only begun. For we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. All we like sheep have gone astray.


James 4:8-10 says, "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up."


Blackabye and King in their book, "Fresh Encounter", refer to revival in this way. "...Then God gets the attention of His people. (In one way or another.) They recognize how displeasing they are to the Lord. In deep brokenness and shame they come before the Lord confessing sin and seeking forgiveness, cleansing, and restoration. When God sees that they are returning with their hearts, He sends genuine revival."


And a few pages later, they write, "After the repentance, the joy of worship and praise was great. These are the fruits of revival. This is the experience of "revival" for which we often pray. However, the difficulty of repentance and a refining process must come first. Then the joy comes." And these are the things I was thinking about in church today.


We came home and Phil picked up the book I read yesterday and read it all afternoon. I started another book that Erin lent us, "High Adventure in Tibet," by David V. Plymire. Angel and I went down to the river and I sat with my feet in the rapids and read. I finally came back at Angel's insistence after about an hour. She kept whining and then she laid right down in the river and watched me. The bears have been invading our cornfield and I am sure she smelled them. Later, Phil dug around in some dirt, looking for some artifacts to show Erin. Susan called around 8:45 and asked us to pick her up at church in an hour. It was great to hear about her week.


I am thankful that Susan is home. I am thankful for the deer in our back yard. We sat and ate our breakfast of homegrown sausage and eggs and watched them. Little Princess had found a dead bird and ran towards the 1 year old doe and then stopped. Quickly she turned and came running back towards the house and the doe ran after her. They were obviously playing. I am thankful that the Holy Spirit is The Comforter because there were those I so badly wanted to comfort today at church and I knew only He could do it. I am thankful that grief is the price one pays for loving others. If we didn't love, we wouldn't grieve our loss. Perhaps, the deeper we love, the deeper we grieve, and there are those I deeply love.

No comments: