Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Hertzler Doings-July 25-31, 2011

Mon.-Debra and boys left around 7 for Pa. Philip left for camp at the same time. Phil and Freeman left as well. Michael left shortly afterwards and soon I had to run a lug wrench out to him on Hixburg Rd. Had to get all new tires in Appomattox. Thankful it didn't happen on 460 or in the driving rain yesterday when he lost control several times. Tire had huge rip. Rotten. Debra called later. It was raining so hard 5 hours from here that they had to pull off and wait. They did get some rain later, at home. Thank God. It was so dry up there. Lindsay and the girls came. Picked up the huge mirror frame Phil built her from cedar wood. She loved it. Later in the eve, I went out to Diane T.'s for a party for Lindsay who is moving to Conn. in 2 weeks. I am excited for them. I am also happy for Connecticut. But I grieve for myself, our family, and New Life. We will miss them so very much. ///I am thankful for the 1.7 inches of rain we got tonight and the 1/2 inch we got yesterday. I am thankful for Lindsay's friends and the way she loves and sees the best in everyone. I am thankful for bacon wrapped apricots, broiled to a crisp in the oven, perfect the way they were, even though the smoke alarm went off several times, served tonight amidst a table laden with other wonderful food.

Tues.-Catching up on a week of blogging. Leroy and Sarah came for corn, as did Phyllis later on in the day. Caught up on some chores. Didn't get much done today. So tired.///I am thankful for Phil's tan happy face and the way he smiles at me. I am thankful for Phyllis's good idea. I am thankful for Debra's iced coffee mix. I am thankful for the phone and for face book and how it keeps me in touch with friends far and near.

Wed.-Nice morning at home. Went to Holliday Lake and hung out with Janelle and her fun-fun aunts, Lucy, and Beth. Michael and Corbin were there, playing like brothers in the water. Meredith and Bethany brought Susan home around 5 from Girl's Camp. The puppies were happy to see her and she raved about how much they had grown. Went out to church in the eve. Went to Dairy Queen with Lindsay and a few other spontaneous good sports. Then walked and talked with Lindsay on the trail until pick up time. I wonder if this perpetual lump in my throat has to do with the fact that they are leaving soon.///I am thankful that Lindsay asked me to be part of her life some years ago. I don't know how many because it feels like we've always been friends. I am thankful that it is possible to be so happy for someone and so sad for oneself all at the same time. I am thankful for the nice time floating with a noodle in the lake, talking to sweet ladies who know so many of the same people I do. I am thankful that God has such good ideas.

Thurs.-Found out yesterday that we can get high speed internet out here so went ahead with connecting Susan with Liberty Academy on-line for school this year. Met Marcie at school. Took some corn to the Hubler's and received some unique heirloom tomatoes from them. Marcie took me to O'Charley's for lunch where I had a huge black and blue salad-blackened steak ceaser style with blue cheese on top of salad. Went to Kohl's where I began to feel sicker and sicker and long story short, ended up back to school early, skipping our Goodwill shopping, losing my lunch, and sleeping on the loveseat in the library for an hour before going shopping for groceries at Walmart. Took me an hour and a half because my brain was whacked out and my equilibrium compromised. Came home, put groceries away, tidied up, and went to bed, but didn't sleep. ///I am thankful for Marcie and the opportunity to practice what I preached to someone else this week. 'It doesn't matter if you're good company or not. We love you.' I just had to accept that love from Marcie and stop feeling bad that I was lousy company. I am thankful that Marcie and I gave each other gifts-almost identical gifts in almost identical bags with an identical lack of card. Willow tree angels. She gave me the friendship angel and I gave her the forget-me-not angel. She also gave me a Simple Gifts Tree design pewter magnet. I am thankful that Susan mowed the lawn. It was a jungle around here. I am thankful for the girl's retreat and how much it blessed my Suz. I am thankful for the cool dark quiet of the library in school; for the safe feeling of being locked inside with no one around, and for the pull and desire to be back again some day, and for the certainty and peace that comes with knowing we are doing the right thing for now.

Fri.-Mahlon and Naomi came down from Harrisonburg to spend two days with us. Tomorrow is her birthday and this is what she wanted to do for her birthday and I'm so glad! We had a lunch of tortilla's and then headed to the river where she and I sat and talked for at least 3 hours. After a supper of sweet corn and BLT's, we went to Baine's to hear 'Up the Chain.' The young guy, Reed, is on tour. He is from our neck of the woods in Pa. It was his second day. We got home close to 11. Mabe and Naomi got a motel in Farmville. They are in vacation mode. ///I am thankful that Philip had a great week at camp. He's been hugging and kissing Suz and I and saying how much he missed us. I am thankful that my best friend is a counsellor. I am thankful for the lovely step back in time we experienced at Baine's this eve. We sat and drank iced/regular coffee and chatted amidst the melodies of well sung songs. A couple our age played Scrapple on a table, keeping time with their feet to the music, smiling pleasantly at one another. We knew no one else there and yet we were united in our enjoyment of this young barefooted singer guitarist.

Sat.-Alli and Freeman were here to visit with Mabe and Naomi a bit this morning. Danielle stopped in to pick more corn and Gabby and her baby brother were inside with us while she worked. They are so sweet and they loved Alli. Freeman made Mabe some of his iced coffee and I made Naomi some of mine. Naomi turned 49 today. She still doesn't like to have her age told but I kind of brag about mine now so I think I have crossed over the top of the hill. She and I went out to the little shops in Appomattox and I took her to the tea room in the Gallery for lunch. We had chicken breast opened faced sandwich on crousants with havarti cheese sauce and asparagus on top with spinach and tomatoes surrounding it and a cucumber salad on the side. We had french pressed coffee and a parfait dessert of lemon curd, fresh strawberries, bits of chocolate chess pie, and whipped cream. Plus lots of sweet tea. When we came home, I took her over to Happy Valley to see the house and Phil and Mabe rode over on the four wheeler and then we came back and had root beer floats before they left. As they were going through Appomattox they were hit with such a storm that made visibility a challenge and folks were driving 20 mph. We had a storm here as well and lost power for several hours. ///I am thankful that they came to be with us for Naomi's birthday, even though I am sad that they are gone. I am thankful for the chance to sit with Phil under the roof of our front porch and have a front row seat to the sights, sounds, and smells of the rain. I am thankful for the tin roofs on our property.

Sun.-S.S. nugget-Don't follow anyone's revelation outside of the Word of God. Be careful how you listen. Church-duel preaching by children's pastor and youth pastor on the Good Samaritan-who is our neighbor? The Samaritan was moved with compassion to help the man who was wounded on the side of the road. The priest and the Levite had passed him by. Was it his fault that he was robbed? Didn't he know what would happen if he went this way? Because the Good Samaritan became emotionally involved he also became spiritually involved, physically involved, and financially involved. He poured on oil->symbolic of the Holy Spirit; poured on wine->symbolic of the blood of Christ; loaded him on a donkey and took him to an inn->physical involvement; and paid for his keep->financial involvement. Who was this man's neighbor? Christ asked. The one who showed mercy. Go and do likewise. I was struck by the realization that unless we are emotionally involved, unless we love, the other things we do will be part of a serving check-list;a to-do list that will make us feel like we've done our part. It is important to serve but it is important to serve in the context of relationship. It is 'easy' to 'do' ministry, pouring on oil and wine. It is easy do something for someone. It is easy to give money. But it's not easy to relate to someone and give them our time and ourselves. It is not easy to love when it doesn't suit us. It is not easy to love when the circumstances aren't right. Came home. Ate lunch. Played Dutch Blitz with Susan and watched Knight and Day again. Phil read the good book I finished reading from Marcie 'The Strands' or something like that. Alli and Freeman came over and we girls played Dutch Blitz and for the record, I won this time. Then we watched a ship movie-something like 'Master and Commander'. Very good. Had some popcorn. Susan went out the lane to talk with Makenzie on her phone. I blogged. Phil finished the book. Sheriff got into mischief. Caught a chicken and killed it. Uh-oh.///I am thankful for Sara and her comfort today. I am thankful for Michelle and how normal it feels to sit beside her in church. I am thankful for Sunday afternoons and popcorn and root beer floats and games and movies and holding still and doing nothing.

No comments: