Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Time of It

I am an optimistic melancholy.
I am a sober sanguine.
Supposedly that is not possible,
but, hey, here I am.

(I kind of think that Jesus was a
melancholy sanguine too-
A man of sorrows anointed with joy
above His brethren. )

What I mean to say is that although
I am not a pessimist,
no matter how I look at things,
I think we are in for a time of 'it.'

'It' being a time of trouble upon trouble,
crisis after crisis,
sprint followed by marathon,
endurance test after endurance test.

Someone or something
is pulling rugs out from under people.

When you have had this experience
and are laying there on your back
just trying to get your breath,
you don't have time to figure out
who or what pulled out the rug.

You just want things to be the way they were.
You want to feel 'normal' again.

I've been thinking about ways to be proactive
during this season of rug pulling.

If you have some thoughts,
please pass them on to the rest of us.
We are in this together
and there is no guarantee
about what tomorrow will bring
for anyone of us.

Speaking of rugs,
it would be best not to sweep our
messes under them.
This complicates the recovery process.
We must deal with things.

(I'm not real good with this to be honest.
I tend to think that if I ignore something,
it will go away.
Besides, I hate conflict.)

Also, now is the time to be close to people.
In the midst of a crisis, people need close friends,
not new ones.
We all have blind spots.
If we are close to people,
the warning shouts of,
"WHOA!" tend to
be more effective.
Watch out for each other
and pray for one another.
Do not stay in isolation.

Take care of yourself.
Eat healthy foods.
Drink water.
Exercise. Take walks.
Get your rest.
If you can take a break,
take it. Guilt-free.
Prepare for a sprint
AND a marathon.
Any kind of endurance
training
helps you endure
any kind of race.

It is easy to feel 'brain-dead'
during this time.
Mental health is when your
feelings and expressions of emotion
fit your circumstances.
So keep it real.
With God, yourself, and others.
And keep a journal.
It will help you keep your perspective.

Be consistent in what you are sure about.
If, however, Jesus has upset the tables in His temple
near you, be careful about going 'back to business as usual'.

Now that God has your attention,
don't be setting up shop and doing
the same old same old right away.

Find out why He went to such measures
to get your attention.

Hover in His holy heaviness to hear His heart.
Don't hastily hop back into happiness.

Dig your wells deep in Him.
If there was a 'drought' in the land
would you still have 'water' to 'drink'?

And 'feed' yourself.
Be mindful of the quality of what you 'ingest'.
If you were 'snowed in' for two weeks,
would you survive?
What are you made of?
What's in your 'cupboard'?

Read, study, eat, drink
the Word of God.
Have it on your desk,
on your walls,
in the bathroom,
and in your heart, mind, and spirit.
Obey it.
Lay in provisions for yourself
and for others.
Give yourself sustenance.

Be aware that everyone else is most likely
having their own personal crisis
and are
tied into other crisis's as well.

The 'ambulances' are all busy.
The 'emergency rooms' are chaotic.
The 'hospitals' are full.

Somehow,
we have to figure out how to bear our own burdens
and yet humbly share our burdens with others
and bear their burdens as well.

In other words,
do your part to make yourself strong
and yet be sure to ask for help if you need it.

Have sufficiency in yourself
and yet don't be pridefully self-sufficient.

Learn from the troubles that are purifying others.
Be purified by them as well.

Pray, "Search me, O God,
and know my heart.
Try me and know my ways.
See if there be any wicked way in me,
and lead me in Your path everlasting."

Don't even think about pointing a finger
at somebody else because before you know it,
you will be provided with a reminder
as to why you are always in need of a Savior.

Strengthen what you think is strong
and strengthen what you think is weak
in your own life,
in your own home.

Stay hidden in Christ
but don't hide your light.

And last, but not least,
when you are in a crisis,
whether it be of your own making,
the devil's destruction,
the Lord's refining fire,
or just plain life,
remember what Jesus said to Peter,
"Simon, Simon. Satan has desire to sift you.
But when you have returned,
strengthen the brethren."

Peter betrayed Jesus.
He denied Him completely.
And not many days afterwards,
Jesus gave him a job to do.
"If you love me, feed my sheep."

It was Peter who later wrote in his book,
"But the God of all grace,
who called you to His eternal glory
by Christ Jesus,
after you have suffered awhile,will Himself perfect,
establish, strengthen, and settle you."

Peter knew what he was talking about.
He experienced it first hand.

If it is true that when we sow sinful seeds
we'll reap a harvest of remorse,
it is also true, that when we sow seeds of righteousness,
we will reap that harvest as well.

If you are reaping a sad harvest,
endure the chastening and begin to
sow good seeds in the midst of that difficult reaping.
Because eventually,
harvests have their end,
and eventually,
you will reap that harvest of righteousness.

Paul said to Timothy,
'Be an example to the believers
in word, in conduct, in love,
in spirit, in faith, in purity.'

If you sow those kind of example seeds in a time of tears,
think of the harvest you will reap in joy.

The Bible is full of stories about people
who failed. Badly failed.
And God remembers them,
and we do too,
as men and women after God's own heart,
full of faith,
and beloved by Him.

And think of Job.
If only he could have read the back of his book
when his rugs were flying all over the place.

God knows the back of your book.
And He's smiling, you know.

"Take courage," Jesus says, in the midst of our storms.
"It is I. Be not afraid."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Psalms 51:6,10,17b~"...You desire truth in the inward parts, and in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom...Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me...A broken and contrite heart, O God, You will not despise."

1 Peter 4:7,8-"But the end of all things is at hand; therefore be serious and watchful in your prayers. And above all things have fervent love for one another, for 'love covers a multitude of sins.'"

Galatians 6:1-5-"..if anyone is overtaken with a fault, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. But let each one examine his own work, and then he will have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another. For each one shall bear his own load."

Hebrews 12:5,6,11-"'My Son, do not despise the chastening of the LORD, Nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him; For whom the LORD loves He chastens, and scourges every son whom He receives'...Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it."

Isaiah 12:3-"Therefore with joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation."

Matthew 13:21-(reverse translation)-"Have root in yourself, so when the seed of the word is sown, you will endure to the end, no matter what tribulations or persecutions arise."

Jeremiah 15:16-"Your words were found, and I did eat them, and Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart; For I am called by Your name, O Lord God of hosts."

Matthew 5:16-"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."

Psalm 57:1b-"...in the shadow of Your wings I will make my refuge, until these calamities have passed by."

Isaiah 57:15-"For thus says the High and Lofty One Who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: "I dwell in the high and holy place, With him also who has a contrite and humble spirit, To revive the spirit of the humble, And to revive the heart of the contrite ones."

Psalm 71:1-3-"In You, O LORD, I put my trust; Let me never be put to shame. Deliver me in Your righteousness, and cause me to escape; Incline Your ear to me, and save me. Be my strong refuge, To which I may continually resort; You have given the commandment to save me, For You are my rock and my fortress."

4 comments:

The Hertzler Fam said...

It helps me to be in touch with Christians around the world who are truly suffering in persecuted countries. It helps keep my perspective about what really is a "rug-pulled-out" experience. Suffering is a way of live for many of these brothers, sisters and their families. They expect it and know it will happen. Go to Voice of the Martyrs website, sign up for the free magazine. It is an exercise in prayer, understanding and strengthening our resolve to endure. Thanks for sharing this, Annette.

Annie said...

I just read the book,'Safely Home' by Randy Alcorn. It is about the persecuted church in parts of Asia. Reading that book and observing the world around me has compelled me to think about ways we can prepare ourselves to endure.Thanks for commenting. I do think we are surprised by suffering..

Jeanne said...

The great concert pianist Van Cliburn (I'm reading his biography now) said that life is one challenge after another, linked by gentle lulls, and he wouldn't trade it for anything else. He said that is what makes life worth living. I think he was thinking about big performances and things like that, but I love that statement. See you soon.

Annie said...

I love that statement too, Jeanne. Thanks for sharing it.