Sunday, July 17, 2011

Merciful Rain

You've heard the phrase, "He makes His rain to fall on the just and the unjust."
I've always associated that with the idea that no one is exempt from the difficulties that come with being human and alive. The 'rain' had a negative context, as if it 'rained' on the day of our Pig Roast and spoiled our party.

But as I've heard the men around this place, (who have a small fortune invested in fields of corn), praise and thank God for any rain we get, I decided to take a second look at the Scriptures.

Will you join me?

Matthew 5:43-48-Jesus is speaking.
"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect."

The commentary notes at the bottom of the page in my Bible confirm and deepen my change of perception.

"Love is not a matter of sentiment alone, but practical concern, blessing, prayer, and positive wishes for well-being, extended to friend and enemy alike."
"Just as God indiscriminately sends rain and sunshine upon the just and unjust alike, so Jesus' disciples must be indiscriminate in their extension of love to friend and enemy."
"The emphasis in the command to 'be perfect' is not a flawless moral nature but an all-inclusive love that seeks the good of all. Instead of following the example of sinners who love only those who love them, we are to be like the Father in also loving those who do not love us."
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I can't tell you what this does for me, after spending a sleepless night, wrestling with conflicting thoughts of loyalties, justice, and truth.

Choosing sides divides.

But here,
Jesus tells us to have mercy on those who deserve it
and on those who do not.
He commands us to love everyone
just as He loves us all.

I am free.

I am free to obey Him.

I am free to love my enemies
and I am free to love yours, also.

And you are free to love me
when I am just,
and when I am not.

We are all free
as we walk in obedience
and extend
God's kind of merciful weather
to those around us.

Thank you, God,
for the warm sunshine of your love
that You shed abroad in our hearts
towards one another.

And, thank you, God,
for Your wet drops of mercy,
that causes our crop of love to grow
so we have a bountiful return
when it's time to reap the harvest.


4 comments:

Lindsay said...

I love this. Gil often talks about how so many people mis-interpret this raining falling on the just as well as the unjust portion of scripture. The people Jesus was talking to were most likely people of agriculture and were very familiar with the blessing on rain. Only in our "don't interrupt my schedule" society does rain turn into a negative connotation. Thanks for writing this. Love.

Annie said...

It makes me wonder how many other things I interpret in Scripture from society's point of view rather than God's original intention. Love.

Shanda said...

That really leaves me thinking as well. That God would send blessings on the unjust as well as the just. Maybe in that way, he also shows them his love and mercy and draws them to Him.

L. P. Hoffman said...

Beautifully said!