Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Hertzler Doings~July 11-17, 2011

Mon.-I am thankful for sweet corn. I am thankful that we put up 20 packs for Freeman and Alli and 22 packs for our family. I am thankful that we did all this from 6 this eve. until 9:30.

Tues.-I am thankful that Sammy Jo came to visit me today. We painted with water colors and I took her for a ride on my gator to the mailbox and I picked her some blackberries on the way back. I am thankful that Judy stayed awhile and ranted and raved over my oriental cooking. I am thankful that she sang,"He Giveth More Grace" with me as I played it on the piano. Later in the day I ran out to Appomattox and my hair dresser put me in for an appt. I ran some errands and stopped in at school to see if anyone was available inside so I could pick up a yearbook. I waved at a cop on the way in. I shouldn't have gotten his attention. (The cops live right there near the school and I always wave in appreciation because of how they protected our school during the sniper situation. ) A few seconds later, well....I am thankful that the cop who pulled me over for an expired inspection sticker was a very nice young man. I am thankful that the garage was open on the way home and that they willingly inspected my car within an hour of my getting pulled over. I am thankful that although the blue lights threw me into a tizzy of all kinds of other insecurity, that Lindsay was available to talk me out of them. She even had me laughing at myself. I am thankful that Michael came home tonight to do some financial paper work in preparation for school.

Wed.-Froze more corn. Went out to Farmville early for a meeting and then went walking on High Bridge Trail with Lindsay even though the sky looked dark and foreboding. She would have walked longer straight into the pending storm but the high winds, lightening, and thunder turned me into a bit of a chicken and I thought we should turn around. We were pummeled with huge cold rain drops and then a deluge from heaven focused on our heads and we ran screaming and laughing back towards the trails entrance. I had to find other places for my phone and watch and the only dry spot on me was the very back of my pant legs. It was an exhilarating 15 min. and my voice was shot till it was all said and done. Lindsay said,"You were really loud." We went back to her place and she gave me a change of clothes while mine rung out in her washer and then we threw them into her dryer, watch in pocket and all. It still works. Definitely one of my highlights in Farmville and with Lindsay. A warm hot bath was waiting for me when I got home which topped off my evening and I slept well for the first time in some weeks.///I am thankful for the opportunity to spend some time with Michael at the bank in Appomattox this morning. I am thankful that I'll see him again soon. I am thankful for people who can focus on others even when their heart is heavy. I am thankful for laughter in the midst of a storm.

Thurs.-Took car over to garage since it needed brake pads to pass inspection. It took a chunk of change. Sara and Amber came over this afternoon and we went down to the river. Sara and I spent several hours talking with our feet in the river while Amber and Susan went swimming in the deeper end. It was just wonderful. Sara took me to the garage to pick up my car. Phil went to practice with a band tonight. He's playing bass for them this Sunday at a church in Cumberland. Philip got his stitches out today and they were pleased with how well his gash had healed. He and Susan continue with their Monopoly card game competition on an almost daily basis.///I am thankful that we always wish we had trusted God more. I am thankful for Sara's loyalty to our friendship and how she believes and sees the very best in me. I am thankful that her ankles didn't hurt her after she soaked them in the water. I am thankful that I got to wash the dust off of Phil's bass guitar case tonight. I am thankful for how happy he was as he carried it out the door.

Fri.-Went over to Happy Valley today to see Kathy L. in from Calif. Fitz, our neighbor, came over to meet Kathy since they both love horses. Fitz had told Philip some time this week that she never met such a nice kind group of people like those who were at the Pig Roast. I made Chex Mix for a good five hours and then went over to Dianna's to get ready for the 'Shee-Haw' Progressive Supper for the women of New Life. Lindsay brought the BBQ, baked beans, sauce, and coleslaw from the Grill. The baked beans slid under her driver's seat and spilled and Steve couldn't get all the beans out of some ruts. I don't like to think about how her vehicle is going to smell in a few days. Our eve. started over at the Liotta's and we had watermelon and Chex Mix there and played a farming name tag game. Then everyone came to Dianna's. Michelle shared her heart and a powerful message straight from God for such a time as this. So good. Then we ate and after that we did a little line dancing. Some of us are definitely better at this than some others. I'm in the 'some others' category. We did some Karaoke. I sang 'Delta Dawn' with Lisa. That was fun and then we just had one group of singers after another and it was a hoot. Had some serious conversations with some friends and the eve. was a perfect mix of work, fun, truth, sorrow, and joy. I got home around 11:30 and had no idea it was that late. /// I am thankful that we can only sow seeds in people's life. The shape of their soil is up to them. Therefore, we plant and move on, allowing another to water and shed light, and another to reap the harvest. Fertilize your soil. Feed it with good things if you want the seed of the Word to bring forth a harvest. I am thankful for the bond between the women at church and I am thankful that we are all in need of a Savior. This is our common bond.


Sat.-Froze 23 packs of corn today. Tidied the house a bit. Alli and Freeman got a freezer today and took home their corn and meat. I am excited for them. Phil worked on the fields. Susan and Philip went over to help Freeman carry in the freezer. I sang 'Delta Dawn' to the puppies out on the porch and they weren't sure what to think. They listened politely and laid down their heads as they looked up at me with questioning eyes. I had never given them a private concert before.
Phil and I went to Charlie's for about 15 min. in the eve. to support a friend's 20th anniversary of sorts and then we went to Kroger's and got ice cream and came home and watched 'Inception' with Susan. I understood it a bit better this time around but I am still not crazy about it.///I am thankful that He has called us out of darkness into His marvelous light. I am thankful that Philip was around to go help Freeman carry the freezer into their house. I am thankful for chocolate chip ice cream with black cherry topping.

Sun.-I don't think I slept a wink, what with the confusing movie, a large consumption of ice cream and sweet peach tea too late in the day, and a general all over feeling of uneasiness. And yet, after struggling all night, and calling out to Jesus loudly in my spirit most of the night, I 'awoke' with an answer. "Love one another. Love the just and the unjust. Don't worry about what others do or what others think about what you are doing, just love one another as I have loved you." And I blogged my answer under the title 'Merciful Rain.' I am learning not to be distressed when I can't sleep because an answer is coming in the morning. Philip took Susan to New Life and Phil and I headed to FM Baptist Church in Cumberland. He played bass for the band, "Second Time Around." The Pastor taught on praise and singing and then the band had the service and the church joined in singing several songs-"I'll Fly Away," "The Sweet By and By, "How Great Thou Art," etc. It was a friendly church. People were calling out announcements and prayer requests and there was a family feeling to their whole service. I was moved with the communion service and realized anew, that God's spirit is everywhere, and He lives in His people and desires to share His love through us to each other. At the end, we all stood up and held hands and sang, "Blest Be the Tie that Binds." It was wonderful to hear all of the voices blending together and to see the smiling faces giving each other a benediction for the week ahead. We then headed into Farmville where we met Freeman, Alli, Susan, and Kelli at Country Cookin' for lunch. Phil and I took a nap when we got home and then Susan and I spent some time in the sun. We watched Pirates of the Caribbean-#1 in the eve. I never saw it before. Loved the music and the choreography.///I am thankful for the humming birds. Susan saw baby ones at Happy Valley the other day. I am thankful for the new song 'Shelter', that Phil is learning to sing for a special occasion coming up. I am thankful for the tomatoes and squash and cucumbers that our neighbors are giving to us. I am thankful that Tom's will get home tonight after their week long tour up to Niagara Falls. I am thankful that God was in Christ, reconciling the world to Himself, and that He has given us the ministry of reconciliation.

No comments: