Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Hertzler Doings~July 18-24, 2011

Mon.-I'm always so wiped out on Mondays. Maybe I eat too much popcorn and ice cream on Sundays. Did some wash. Took a nap. Started over and accomplished more.///I am thankful for the freedom to love everyone. I am thankful for the constant song playing in my soul's piano, "When the Storm passes Over." I am thankful for words like, 'passes,' and 'through', and 'for a little while' and 'season.' Hopeful words when the storm blows fierce. There will be an end to this hurricane.

Tues.-Went to chiro. and out to Appomattox to run some errands. Got sick in my stomach in eve. after Isaac, Philip's dog, left me a 'gift' to clean up off the kitchen floor. ///I am thankful that God holds all things together through the power of His word. I am thankful that Janelle and Micah came over for supper in the eve. I made a Moroccan vegetable dish and couscous with raisins. Also made bruschetta. Maybe the mix of Italian and Moroccan upset my stomach too. We watched Three Stooges. I am thankful for Phil's sympathy and kindness. I am thankful for the kind words I read in Susan's CCA year book.

Wed.-Getting ready for company today. Took Susan to VE in eve. Visited with Marvin and Melva at the Zook's. Walked with Michelle and Lindsay on the Trail. Brought Kelli home. Debra, Bradley-11, and Taylor-15, were here when we got home, eating sweet corn around the table. Phil and Taylor enjoyed their love for guitar/music by listening to Phil's new favorite song. Their faces glowed as they relished the sound of the steel guitar.///I'm thankful for Adina's words, 'Thank you for Susan.' No wonder Susan says Miss Adina is the 'sweetest most beautiful lady in the world.' I am thankful for safe travels for our family. I am thankful for the unusual Hertzler musical gifts-the ability to hear a song once and be able to sing it or play it. Sometimes, Susan is singing a song and I ask her, "Where did you hear that song?" And she says, "It was playing at Krogers." Taylor is the same way with his guitar. He is playing Joe Satriani's music like a pro.

Thurs.-Went down to the river. It is HOT! Came back up. Kids played 'Apples to Apples'. Took the kids to a movie in Farmville in the afternoon while Debra and I went shopping. Had to buy shoes for Brads because he forgot to wear them. Ran to the Dollar Store and he got to the movies on time. ///Thankful for air conditioning, grace, and sweet corn.

Fri.-Played 'Imaginiff'. Went to Appomattox with Debra and met Janelle at Baines. Went to Helen's in eve for Pizza party. Alli and Freeman came too. Tommy and Taylor were rolling out pizza dough like professionals. Michael came later. It was nice to see him. Guitars were playing. Songs were being sung. Hide n' Seek game in the dark outside. Got home shortly before 11. Tom got there with Serena before we left. He had been on the road for 3 days. ///I am thankful for the rich heritage we have as a family. I am thankful for the music that is inseparable from our heritage. I am thankful for those who have chosen righteousness in the generations that came before us. I am thankful for these blessings. I am humbled by them and quickened by them as well, for much has been given to me, therefore much is required. It's not a burden; it's a trust.

Sat.-Chace, Michael, Philip, and Taylor made a big breakfast for everyone. Homemade scrapple and sausage, eggs from our chickens, homemade hash browns, Aunt Deb's iced coffee. (I'll blog the recipe.) Temps over 100. Played 'Pick One', watched 'Second Hand Lions'. Cancelled river party due to storms. Janelle, Micah, Freeman and Alli came over and we had the picnic inside-hot dogs, watermelon, fresh vegetables, corn, chips, roasted veggies. Philip and the boys played Risk. The ladies went outside and built a fire and played an improvised game of 'Mad Gab' to humor me. We made s'mores and were soon joined by the others, plus Tommy and Michelle. Philip was playing with his dog, Isaac. Isaac will let him do anything to him. He'll drape him over his shoulders like a Shepherd holds a sheep. He lays on his back between Philip's legs and Philip makes him 'do' the macarina. Susan videotaped it. Emilee dyed Philip's hair today. He has a Mohawk. She bleached his fuzz and his hair and then dyed the tips black. He kept asking me if I liked it and I said, "I like you, Philip." And he said he was satisfied with that. He actually looks rather striking with his black shirt, white necklace, white teeth, dark eye brows, and white hair and black tips. He did this for kid's camp. The kids all love when he has a mohawk. Tommy spent the night on the living room floor with Brads and Taylor.///I am thankful that Micah was totally into helping Philip play 'Risk' for what seemed like hours. I am thankful for 'Christmas' in July. That's how I felt with all of our kids being together at one time with other family joining us. I am thankful for the rain and the storms and for the drop in temperature-nearly 25 degrees.

Sun.-Six years ago, today, on a Sunday morning in Thailand, we lost our beloved Johnny, in a motorcycle accident, when a drunk driver hit him headlong with his truck. Yesterday, Phil was watching the funeral tape. He didn't even realize that it was 'that time' again. He put in the DVD after church while we made lunch and we couldn't keep it on long. What a loss. It was nice to talk about him and remember him. Phil called Mom later in the day and talked for about an hour.
"Grace"-the foundation of our faith, was the message in S.S. and church. We came home quickly and Susan packed for Girl's Camp while we ate lunch. We took her over to meet Michelle and Amy and they took her to Girl's Camp in Crewe. She'll be there until Wed. Tom took Bradley, Taylor, and Tommy swimming in the Fisher's pond while Helen, Abby, Serena, Debra, and I headed off to Appomattox to tour a beautiful Bed and Breakfast. In the eve, Michael, Philip, Brads, and Taylor played Risk, instead of fishing, due to the wild rain storm. Phil, Debra, and I watched 'Knight and Day'. For some reason, this is one of my favorites. We enjoyed popcorn and ice cream for supper. ///I am thankful that if people can open doors to welcome loved ones back home, how much more does God open doors to welcome His loved ones back to Himself. I am thankful that if we really knew who we were in Christ Jesus, we wouldn't be thinking about ourselves or our insecurities. We would walk in confidence and love and confidence and love would be multiplied rather than insecurities and fear. I am thankful for John Hertzler and the way he lived and the way he loved. I am thankful for the gifts he gave us. We cherish his many gifts, especially, Janelle and Micah.

No comments: