Wednesday, November 2, 2011

November Thanksgivings

On my way to a thousand thanks...

226. My daughter's beautiful hair and her beautiful straight teeth, "Cause if I didn't have straight teeth, I would cost you a lot of money." (Susan's contribution to Nov.'s thanks)
227. 15 Rhode Island Red Chickens who will begin laying eggs before long
228. The guys working around home
229. Dr. F's comment re: Susan-"This is the healthiest I have seen you!"
230. For the realization that the deeper the pit, the deeper the well.
231. Lindsay's phone call
232. For His yoke
233. That grace can abound or bitterness can spread
234. That "God is bigger than the boogey man."
235. The opportunity to rest when I am not feeling well
236. For trusting and trustworthy friends
237. For Johnny's birthday and sweet reflections on his life
238. That More than Conquerors have more to conquer
239. That God uses the enemies attack against us to make us more
like Himself and so destroys the purpose of the enemy, which is
to make us more like himself.
240. That my calling is to love God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength
241. That God's purpose for my life is to transform me into the image of
His Son
241. That my calling and God's purpose does not change even though
life circumstances do.
242. A happy day for Susan with the homeschool co-op;
practicing their play, walking to McD's, watching the Jr. play
in the eve.
242. A happy day for me, visiting with Dianna, Laurel, Isaac,
and Henry, making potato soup, snuggling with little baby boys
243. Phil's safe trip to Pa. and back for Harold K's Memorial service
244. A hunting day for Philip and Freeman
245. Michael cutting firewood
246. That those of us who are in a mess of our own making
are the very people Jesus came to save
247. For leisurely Sunday breakfasts of sausage, potatoes, and eggs
made by the boys
248. Phil helping Susan practice her shooting
249. 'Sound of Music' with Alli, Freeman, Phil, and Susan
250. Travis's birthday and Red Lobster tradition
251. For Philip's assertion that he is cleaning his room
252. Work for Phil
253. Visit from Judy and Sammy Jo
254. Freeman's success with the biggest buck in Hertzler History
255. good days
256. For the lady stocking shelves in Walmart singing a melodic reminder,
"Soon and very soon, we are going to see the King."
257. For Susan's serenade
the whole way home from voting
and for her song, "My chains are gone, I've been set free..."
as we drove down our lane towards home
258. That happiness is more happy than it used to be
259. For baked potatoes hot and ready in the crockpot
after a day of being out in town
260. That our sewer system didn't break down until now even though
it was on its last leg when we bought our farm
261. Two separate conversations with Philip and Michael-
both saying what a lucky guy Susan's husband will be-
Philip, because she knows how to farm and Michael, because
she knows how to cook
262. Everyone working on the farm. Michael-firewood;
Phil and Philip-silage and tractors; Susan-calves and aluminum;
Me-Yard and house clean-up plus chili prep for Chi Alpha party tonight
263. For the frost around the edges of fallen red leaves
264. sunny happy day
265. That there is an obedience to God like the fear and trembling a servant gives his Master, and an obedience to God that comes out of loving Him because you're His friend, and there is an obedience to God that comes out of abiding in Him-living and moving and having our being in Him-so that our nature is overwhelmed by His and out of our innermost being flows rivers of living water, and we don't even think of the word 'obey.'
266. Chi Alpha here for the eve. Some of the students have never been on a farm. They enjoyed the chickens and the calves. Annabelle, or is it Isabelle, was in labor so we let her be. (pig) Cooked chili. hot dogs, and s'mores over the fire. Soap carving contest-theme-'fall'. Will's pumpkin won. Sang worship songs accompanied with guitar. Alli and Freeman came after helping her parents move. She likes her pink Cabela's hoodie.
267. Six baby piglets!!!! Solid muscle. So adorably cute!!!!
268. During worship at church, God talked me into letting go of all my remorses and when I did so, my insecurities went with them. Holy, holy God. Thank you.
269. For the cry of the leper-"Unclean!" "Have Mercy!" and "Thank You!"
270. For the challenging conversation with a sorter-outer that made me realize that too often we present a gospel for the crippled when really we should be presenting a gospel of the truth regarding Jesus Christ.
271. Being able to sing and talk without going into a coughing spasm for the first time in two weeks
272. Phil and Susan, sitting side by side on the sofa, holding hands
273. Michael remembering creative discipline-when he and Philip would fight, sometimes I would get them to discipline each other. Michael would 'discipline' Philip very lightly in hopes of returned mercy. They would get to laughing so hard that they'd forget what they were fighting about. Michael said, "I'm going to get you to raise my children."
~~~~11/15/11~~~~
274. The bank teller, whose name I do not know, called me by my first name when I drove up to her window, and asked me how I was. Next time, I will make sure I know her name.
275. Sweet smiling people everywhere I went today in Farmville-Post Office, Belks, Millers, the bank. I don't know why this always surprises me, but I am always pleasantly surprised by everyone's friendliness. In Appomattox, the shop keeper of B&L gave me a hug and told me how pretty my hair was. It was a mess. I was just about to get my hair cut. The lady who cut my hair put special conditioner on my hair when she realized I was going straight home and wouldn't see anyone. Kindness upon kindness. Balm upon balm.
276. Doreen and Graham pulled in at Liberty Baptist when they saw Susan and I there. We caught up quickly and promised to see each other soon.
277. Nice long chat with Judy in the eve. She wanted to know who took Susan's pictures posted on face book. I said, "Yours truly," and she said, "You missed your calling."
278. Phil and Philip's opportunity to see Susan's drama practice this eve. since they won't be able to attend the performances.
279. Groceries in the fridge and on the counter
280. The meat I pulled out from the freezer is actually labeled-'Bear' along with the date. No mystery meat for supper tomorrow night.
281. That we can judge people by their fruit.
282. That the Promised Land is the 'land' promised us. The Promiser keeps His promises.
283. That no one can judge the heart of a man but God who knows all things.
284. Beautiful spring-like days
285. For my neighbor who I saw at Krogers. She said, "You never gain any weight, do you." I almost kissed her right then and there. It's been a long time since I've almost been called skinny. 65 pounds ago, in fact.
286. For Susan's desire to cook the entire Thanksgiving meal by herself. She's planned a menu, made a shopping list, and is typing out recipes. She has written down what she needs to make on Wed. and times she needs to bake/cook things on Thursday. We have given her our requests and she is making all of them plus more. I will be available for consultation and will set the table and help keep dishes clean. Michael will help chop vegetables with his Cutco knives and will carve the turkey. But Susan will put it all together. "I just want to see if I can do it, " she said.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
287. Michael sold a Cutco homemaker set tonight. I don't know if I'm more excited for him or for my friend, who desperately needed some knives!
288. For lovely homeschooled girls who are so kind to my daughter
289. For the privilege of watching 'Les Miserables' with the CCA middle and high schoolers. It was great to see the kids and observe their social and physical growth.
290. For mothers who deeply love their children
291. For time to shop at the mall alone for some Christmas gifts and shoes
292. Michael's Thanksgiving break!
293. That Susan can dance a waltz in a beautiful pink dress and come home and change into coveralls and a sweat shirt and go feed her 16 calves. She's got skills.
294. For book club at Janelle's today and the way we eat, drink tea, discuss a book, and solve life's problems for each other. The grand finale today was watching some Grey's Anatomy (TV show).
295. That the giving of thanks is an outward expression of inner gratitude
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
296. Susan listed Phil as her hero on facebook
297. As I began to read Romans, I saw this note in my Bible that says, "Expositions on Romans has sparked many revivals as people become aware of the magnificence of God and His grace toward us." I believe that and I know it.
298. One of my past students I transported back to CCA from the play told me that she and her brother accepted Christ last week
299. Because Jesus took our sin on His own body on the cross, He knows what it feels like to be the vilest of sinners. He knows what it means to be separated from God
300. For the Farmville homeschool co-op and the wonderful friends we have made
301. Susan's excellent performance in 'Les Miserables'. Everyone else also performed marvelously.
302. Last week's sermon on the lepers cry-"Unclean!""Have mercy!" and "Thank-you!" that continues to reside in my spirit
303. This week's sermon on the revelation of the Father through the life of Jesus Christ
304. This week's sermon on Hab. 3:16-19-That even though it does not seem that life is going as it should, we have the privilege of joying in the God of our salvation and knowing Him as our strength. We are grateful for who He is and not just for what He does. He will make our feet like Hind's feet. He will enable us to walk on our high hills of challenge, difficulty, and trouble with the sure-footed certainty of one who was created to do just that.
305. For the wonderful worship song, "The Great I Am". It is a song that is all about Him.
306. He is my hiding place. He shall preserve me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance. Ps. 32:7
307. Praise from the upright is beautiful. Ps. 33:1
308. For the difficult understanding that if my mercy is more merciful than God's, it is no longer mercy; it is unhealthy tolerance.
309. For this beautiful warm short-sleeve-short-pant day and the mood we are in to clean up inside and out
310. Ephesians=Know we are holy by God's grace and His gift of righteousness and do the good things God gives us to do.
311. For two sweet uplifting notes from Betty in one week's time
312. For the safe return of our magnificent men from bear hunting in Pa. They saw no bear but enjoyed a much needed vacation.
313. Michael's roommate, Ben, is spending Liberty's Thanksgiving Break with us.
314. For the already received and the yet to come promised compensation from God-Is.35
~~~~~~~~~
315. Susan's Thanksgiving meal! I kept the dishes cleaned up for two days of cooking and set the table and was available for advice. Michael and Ben cut up vegetables and Michael carved the turkey. The menu? Turkey, mashed potatoes, mac. and cheese (Mike's request), glazed carrots (Freeman's request), homemade rolls (Alli's request), oyster filling (Phil's request), broccoli salad (my request), sausage biscuits (Philip's request), green beans with bacon, corn, 7-layer salad, cranberry from the can, pecan/apple pie, pumpkin pie, Cool Whip, vanilla ice cream, mushroom gravy, giblet gravy, and turkey gravy. I think that's it. It was really good. She was exhausted.
316. Susan's Thanksgiving post on face book. Phil's cousin, Ed, read it to us over the phone.
317. Ben's laughter as he watched 'The Three Stooges' for the first time in his life.
318. Ben thought that everything was beautiful-our home, the property, the river, my chapel.
319. Ivan Henry and his sweet loving ways and his wonderful belly laugh
320. Sat. eve. Hertzler gathering with Janelle's parents and Uncle Ollie and Aunt Barbie and Austin joining us. I had hot dogs and s'more fixin's, Janelle brought a veggie tray and drinks, and then Helen pulled up. She had broccoli soup, filling balls, applesauce, apple crisp, cranberry/pineapple fluff, chocolate chip cookies, and mint tea. The younger children went inside after supper and watched 'The Voyage of the Dawn Treador.' Tom's came in after everyone left and some of us drank tea and we caught up a bit on life. They left some time after 10. Phil had fallen asleep.
321. Christmas decorations are up and they are beautiful!
322. For Phil and the way he is our rock and the way he loves us all.
323. When wisdom takes the place of insecurity, relationships heal and grow.
324. Handel's Messiah in its entirety for 9.99 from CBD!
325. He is our very present help in time of need.
326. His words of hope where there is despair
327. That people are important but their true or false evaluation of my character pales in comparison to the thoughts He thinks of me.
328. My wise and loving husband, Freeman, Alli, Philip, Michael and Susan
329. I graduated from the insurance program today! Now I can eat whatever I want! Just joking!
330. For our chiropractor who made a house call on Sunday and put Phil's shoulder back in place. It had dropped an inch and a half and his collar bone was sticking out.
331. Naomi's phone call.
332. That we chose to homeschool this year
333. Meredith's birthday! 22. Lunch with Tom's on Sunday.
334. Phil's getting me a camera for Christmas! Hot pink one with lime green case! Just like Susan's but not water proof or bang up proof and so much cheaper. Also bought on cyber Monday. Really good deal! So excited!
335. For the opportunity to sing in a community choir-Christmas portion of Handel's Messiah. Phil's been wanting to do it for years.
336. Holding little Hannah in church, second row from the front, and just like our children would do, she jumped on the front row chair in time to the music and raised her little hands and sang with all her might. I could feel her vibrations through her chest.
337. Judy, being a witness while under fire
338. Meeting a friend at the chiro. who offered us a free trip to Williamsburg from Thurs.-Sat. This was Wed. and we took her up on it.
339. For the birth of a grand niece Gracie, born at the beginning of this month. Her brother's name is Noah. 'Noah found Grace in the sight of the Lord.'

To Be Continued...

No comments: