Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Hertzler Doings-May 14-20,212

Mon.-"So they went and made the tomb secure; sealing the stone and setting the guard." (Matt. 27:66) Great day. Meredith and Susan were up early, pulling up weeds and putting down mulch at Happy Valley. Later in the day, they went out to Lowes, where there were great plant sales going on. They bought time period plants to line the pathways and beautify the flower beds over there. We also finished up our front flower beds over here. What amazing things take place with a little bit of cash, time, and some Hustlin' Hertzler's in gear. I worked several hours outside in the rain, pulling weeds, and laying down mulch out front, and also in our vegetable garden. Had awaken at 3, as I have been doing since England. There's a lot to pray about so I don't mind. Babysat Lucy while Susan was away. There is much to do with a puppy who ate adult dog food and chewed on some flower leaves. She seemed to be surprised herself when she left little loose 'gifts' on my hard wood floors.

Tues.-"A Mighty Fortress is our God...A Sacred Refuge is Your name..." This song won't quit! It keeps getting louder and louder, keeping me awake, during the day, and in the night! Susan brought in the runt of the litter today. (Pigs) It's siblings had nearly suffocated him. He was barely breathing. She rubbed him and washed the dirt of his mouth. He's wrapped in a towel, in a box, and I am getting trickles of milk down his throat, using milk replacer and a baby bottle. The stove light is on and I decided to bake potatoes early so the top of the stove would get warm. He barely moves and then he takes a gasping, painful, breath, and I asked Jesus to please take him and give him to my mother. She would enjoy this little guy so much. Susan and Meredith are planting a truck load of plants at Happy Valley. They took Lucy with them and my morning should be easier. Susan remembered to take water for Lucy but realized she forgot it for herself. I told her that's what it feels like to be a mother. That's what a mother does.
Lindsay preached at her church for Mother's Day. People are asking for multiple copies of the CD. She enjoyed herself and would love to do it more. I told her that she was using her gifts and that's why it was invigorating to speak in public. I can't wait to get a copy of that CD. I am so proud of her!
(Later)As I was exercising on my floor mat, I heard little piglet gasp for air. When I came to check on him, he was gone. Even in animals, it is obvious when their life is gone. For some reason, this broke my heart, and I had to cry and cry. The boys asked me later if I cried and I said, I bawled! Which made them want to cry. But now I'm okay. Dear little pig. If I loved his little life that much, how much more does God love us?
I got so much done today. I finally brought over our bags of every day summer clothes and have been doing wash. I worked 30 min. in the old house and it's amazing what one can do with a little timer. I made twice baked potatoes and lettuce salad with hot bacon dressing for supper. Naomi called. They were in New Orleans last week, working with a church to rebuild a church building. She said that there is still so much destruction evident from Hurricane Katrina, even 7 years later. The government has not been in a hurry to rebuild everything because it's been a tourist attraction, which I think is just wrong. Naomi was in a marriage seminar this week where they taught them how to counsel those whose marriages are falling apart. She shared some interesting things. God is for us. The word 'for' also means 'toward.' God's heart is 'toward' us. He gave His life for us. He thinks about what is best for us and acts accordingly. If spouses lived that way towards each other, there would be no room for selfish behavior. If my husband's heart is towards me and my heart is towards him, we won't be acting selfishly by looking away from each other to try to get our needs met. We will be thinking about what they might like instead of thinking about what we want. It is easy to get distracted. It is not always another person who can distract our heart from our spouse. It can be work, church, sports, financial worries, financial success, the troubles of life, etc. But I like this thought about living with my heart towards my spouse. So, right now, I am turning my heart towards Phil. I know he is outside, checking on the farm. I wonder what he's doing out there.(Found out later he was checking out his corn field in the low grounds and he saw a large coyote.) I know he's tired and could use an early night to catch up on sleep. Maybe I can do something about that by adjusting my schedule. There-that wasn't so hard!
Just as we can turn our thoughts toward God numerous times a day, we can turn our hearts toward our spouse many times a day and send loving thoughts towards them and pray for them. It's a decision we can make and it can become a delightful habit. It's kind of like living in the land of thanksgiving and finding the good in everything. It changes our perspective. I wonder, if at the root of most divorce, we would find a well of selfishness. And I wonder, if at the root of steadfast marriages, we could find a well of selflessness. I don't know for sure. We say it takes two, but sometimes, it does take just one. One to sabotage it. One to bring healing. Be the one that brings life.

"Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus,....who made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.." (Phil. 2:5,7,3,4)
"Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others."

If we did this, marriage counselors would be out of a job.
If we did this, we would be loving each other just as Christ loved us.
If we gave ourselves up for our spouses, as Christ gave Himself up for us,
I think we would surprised by good, sweet, joyfulness.

I want to be more intentional in turning my heart toward Phil.

Wed.-Thinking about the little village of Emmaus, where Jesus broke bread and so revealed himself to two very disillusioned and heart-broken followers. Emmaus means 'warm wells.' Oh, Jesus, break Your bread and reveal Yourself to us in the village of warm wells. May all our springs be in You.
Naomi asked me yesterday what was my favorite part about London and I answered, "Bouroughs Market." She said, "The French Market was my favorite part of New Orleans!" Maybe we should have a TV show and go visit one market in every state and then perhaps the world.
Judy treated me to lunch at Country Cookin' for my birthday. She also gave me a beautiful turquoise and green necklace and napkins with butterflies on them to make into pretty plates. Sammy Jo wanted to make sure that I had butterflies on my napkins. Then we went to Goodwill and Judy yelled my name across the store and I came running and she was so pleased to introduce me to a co-worker of hers. She's been wanting us to meet. We had such a nice time in Goodwill. I found two dressy blouses for Judy and they fit her perfectly. I threw a flipflop at her when I was hiding in another aisle and startled her. There's a story behind wanting to scare her but it might be top secret so I guess I shouldn't share.
Stopped at the bank and chatted with a friend, and went to Walmart, and then home. I love to be out. But I LOVE to be home. I love to be out with good friends and I love to come home to my family. I made hot sausage, brown rice, and all kinds of vegetables stir-fried together. Added soy sauce and other spices and mixed it all up together and everyone loved it. Susan came back from Happy Valley, sunburned and dirty from head to toe from planting and mulching. She said, "I love to work! Food tastes so much better when you're really hungry...Just look at my muscles!" I took her to Calvary Chapel for youth group and later, when I went to pick her up, brought Lucy along for her to show her friends. The guys worked late and then Nolte came running out to them and wanted them to come in for supper. Steak. Potatoes. Chicken Cordon Bleu. Etc. So, we'll have leftovers for tomorrow. This meal gets better with age, anyway. Michael stayed home today and worked around the farm, mowing the lane, etc. He only got about 2 hours of sleep. He would stop breathing during the night and had to force himself to breathe. We think it had something to do with the turkeys and the shavings in the pen, etc. Philip will clean off Michael's bed so Mike can sleep in the bedroom instead of in the mancave with the peeping turkeys.(We realized later that it was probably an allergy to the antibiotics he is taking that caused him to have difficulty with his breathing.)

Thurs.-Deut.33:27-"The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms." Phil gave me a huge hug today and said it was from the Abbott. Phil said the Abbott appreciates Freeman, Philip, and Michael, working down there. Mike really enjoyed meeting him for the first time this week. Susan is working at Happy Valley again today and I am babysitting Lucy. Right now, she has her head resting on my toes and she is sound asleep. I could get used to this. Michael went out to Lynchburg to take an aviation test and to pick up his and Philip's tuxes for Erik and April's wedding. Three of mine are in the wedding. The two boys and Alli. It is noon and I've already gotten so much done today. I made a chart with graph paper and listed jobs and each square equals 15 min. I check off the squares when I've finished my project. I read/study for an hour in the morning and exercise for an hour as well. Also read Mother's journal for 15 min. As long as I don't open my laptop, it works. By then, it is 8 or 8:30 and then I start in with my other things. I pulled weeds for 15 min. I worked in the old house for 30 since I missed yesterday. I cleaned up outside for 15 min. I need to clean our bedroom for 30 min. and clean the kitchen for 30 min. too. Plus Micah is coming for the afternoon. I'll get Janelle to drive us over to Happy Valley and I'll bring Micah back in the gator so we have it here. Michael drove it over there to get the mower yesterday. Susan and I are going to start eating lettuce/raw vegetables in proportion to our other food. In other words, for lunch, I took a wad of homegrown lettuce and piled it onto the bottom of my dish and then I added just as much rice/sausage/vegetable mix on top. No dressing needed and it was delicious. Thanks to Nevin and Eileen's homegrown hydroponicly grown Boston Bibb Lettuce that Meredith brought me. $2.50 a head but it's worth it.
I've been thinking this thought. "Find peace in the midst of the storm. Don't wait until the storm is over."
Micah and I watch Ratatouille and ate buttered popcorn after I trimmed his bangs. His karate teacher said they needed to be above his eyebrows because his helmet pushed them down below his eyes. Janelle had a nice time exploring potential educational opportunities this afternoon. Susan and I went back over to Happy Valley and finished planting the flowers. We watered things well. Philip and Michael are at some sort of Erik party tonight. I found the dehydrator and am drying meadow and peppermint tea over night. In the oven, I am drying parsley. I set the temp. at 170 and dried it for an hour and when I headed for bed, I turned the oven off and the oven light on. We'll see how it looks in the morning. The house smells wonderful with its mix of mint and parsley.

Fri.-Joshua 18:3-"How long will you neglect to go and possess the land which the LORD God of your fathers has given you?" Josh. 21:45-"Not a word failed of any good thing which the LORD had spoken to the house of Israel. All came to pass."
Went out to Appomattox to take Lucy to the vet for her shots. Went to Mikayla's graduation at CCA. Picked up Lucy afterwards and brought her back to school for Dr. Hubler to hold and fall in love with. Picked up mower belt and headed home. Michael mowed Happy Valley and our place. It's a good thing. It's supposed to rain every day next week. Picked up Kelly G. at New Life while Susan finished her Biology test here at home. Kelly and I went to Walmart and got two rakes. Susan and Kelly raked the grass over at Happy Valley and then I took them to Graham's last game. His team won!

Sat.-Jordan W., Kelly, Philip, Susan, Michael, Phil and I here for homemade sausage breakfast. Girls are nursing another little pig that got trampled on. They have a list of odd jobs to do for me and then they are going over to H.V. to finish raking. I worked on the house. I am so far behind from everything that happened this month. Today, it's been a month since Mother died and I've been more emotional about it these past few days than I have all along. Perhaps its because I started back to reading her journals. Went to Erik and April's wedding at Wilke's Lake at 5. Philip and Michael looked so handsome and Alli looked so pretty. April walked down the aisle with her daddy while Jay sang, "...But I can't help falling in love with you." I love, love, love that song. The weather was perfect. There were some bittersweet moments but it was mostly sweet. The reception was at the airport. We got to dancing later on and that was fun. I danced the chicken dance. That's about what I can sort of do. Oh, and Phil and I slow danced but we don't know what we're doing. The star of the show was the ring bearer, Caleb, who is in love with my daughter, Susan. And she's in love with him too. He comes to say 'hi' to her, and then he just stares at her. It's the cutest thing. Well, this boy can dance. I took a few videos and then my camera ran out of battery power. Philip caught the garter and Heather caught the bouquet. Susan wanted to catch the bouquet to make sure things stayed on the up and up and they did because Philip put the garter on Heather's ankle. The groomsmen decorated the couple's vehicle with all kinds of unmentionable items. The bride and groom walked through a cloud of bubbles and well wishes. We left soon afterwards. Michael and Philip helped Chace take down the chairs at Wilke's Lake and set them back up at Maysville. Lucy was crying when we got home and Susan rescued her. Poor little dear was all alone for over 5 hours. Angel wanted to come in and instead of going to her place beside Phil, she came back here to be beside me while I type. What is the world coming to? Perhaps she just wanted to get away from the puppy. I'm sure that's it.
Oh-I wrote a little ditty for Erik and April's card. It goes, "Enjoy your life with your wife, and be a fan of your man." It seems like there should be more. Let's see, "Love the Lord with all your heart, and from your love never depart." Or "Love her body, soul, and heart, and don't spend too much time apart." I wanted to say something like never becoming an old fart, but just couldn't work it in, besides, I never say that word.

Sun.-Been contemplating some questions the disciples asked Jesus. #1-Who's the greatest? and #2-Lord is it I? Number two question is the hardest one to ask. We took Kelly to New Life with us. (Susan went to Calvary with Michael. There was a youth group picnic at Holliday Lake after church. She hiked 6 plus miles and got a large blister on her heel. Picked her and Andrew F. up around 7.) Pastor Frank shared 4 progressions toward deception. 1.-Question God's Word. 2.-Change God's Word. 3.-Deny God's Word. 4.-Replace God's Word. Prepare yourself for the masquerade party by saturating yourself with truth. I've been thinking about that verse in Isaiah where it says that dark clouds will cover the people. A storm is coming. It will affect all of us. We must stay close to God and to each other. We must have water and food and warmth and shelter. Spiritually, emotionally, and physically. Get ready. For thick darkness will cover the people and all will not be well. People will think they are right with God because they have peace but they will be loveless and their hearts will be cold. God, save us from ourselves. Save us from the pride that refuses to ask the question, "Lord, is it I? Am I to blame? Am I deceived? Am I the reason?"
I felt pretty sad in church today. Some people we all love are leaving and it is hard to see them go. At the same time, I release them, to go and be used of God, and to do that which they are passionate about and makes them happiest, and I know, that if it is best for them to go, it is best for us that they go, just like it was best that Jesus go, so He could send the comforter, the Holy Spirit. They are leaving for good reasons and I am so happy about that. But I still feel sad and now I seem to miss my mother more, too. So much releasing and letting go. Nothing ever remains the same. If it did, we would put our trust in the sameness. Instead, we have to trust God and stay close to Him, while He remains changeless and the world we live in, spins.
Freeman and Alli came over for to use the internet service for a little bit. I took a nap. Phil went to a meeting. Chace walked over from the pond and said Hello before he left. Later, Philip, Michael, Jordan, and Travis came into the house and I made them chocolate chip waffles and put Breyer's chocolate ice cream in between them. Also grilled ham, cheese, and onion sandwiches. Dessert comes first on Sundays.
I called my sister, Rosalee today. It's been three years since her son, Abie, was killed in a car accident. Her church friends have been looking out for them. They were going to a hot dog roast. She was so thankful that I remembered. She seems to be really doing well in regards to Mother's death. She thinks it is because Mother prayed for her, knowing that it would be hard on her when she died. I've been reading one of Mother's journals and I am not sure if it's been a good idea. I think I need to put the cup of sorrow on the shelf for awhile. On a lighter note, Lucy loves to chase Angel around and hang onto her tail. Angel growls and Lucy doesn't take the hint. Her mouth has black fuzz from Angel's tail sticking out of it and she unsuccessfully tries to spit out her furry collection.

No comments: