Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Hertzler Doings~May 7-13, 2012

Mon.-In England. Leisurely morning with tea and a book. Granary toast, cereal, and fruit for breakfast. Went to see a beautiful church in a nearby town. Stopped for groceries. After we dropped groceries back home we went the other way for about an hour. Went to Castle Rising Village and Castle and Church. Had lunch in their Unique tea room and did some shopping at the Unique gift shop. Susan and I tried on some hats. The lady there told us that the queen attends the church there sometimes. Walked in the rain. On the drive home, Phil saw the same two foxes playing in the field as he had seen on the way. We also saw a piggery, rich loamy farming soil, and canola flower fields. We took naps when we got home. I slept 2 hours. Played Chicken Feet with Dominoes again. Laughed so hard I cried over Uncle Dan's funny remarks and Aunt Myrts comebacks.

Tues.-Up early. Breakfast of tea and pastries. Went to bus station. Said our good-byes and thank you's and drove 2 1/2 hours to Heathrow Airport. Got to airport 3 hours ahead of take off but that was fine. At lunch at The Giraffe after going through security. Did some last minute shopping for family in Va. Long 8 hour flight on way home. Watched and slept through three movies-War Horse, Up, and We Bought a Zoo. Had two meals. Arrived back to waiting car around 6:30 and Phil, bless his heart, drove us home, while Susan and I could not stay awake. Michael was here, playing guitar on the porch, waiting to welcome us home. He had the Liberty kids here to enjoy the farm this past weekend. Philip was fishing with Ricky in Pa. and stayed overnight at G'pa Hertzler's.

Wed.-Dragging. Wishing for night to come all day. Stuffed head. Sat still and had a cup of tea in the morn. and then I vacuumed and washed the floor, washed three loads of clothes, made egg and olive salad, chicken soup, and cream puffs. Susan is enjoying everything on the farm and is so happy. Turkeys are hatching. 13 baby pigs were born while we were gone. Susan brought in the runt. He was happy and quiet with her but as soon as I tried to hold him, he screamed bloody murder. Lucy is doing well. She couldn't get enough of Susan. Chewed on her blue gym shorts. Garden is full of weeds. Yard needed mowing. Susan was outside for half of the day. Phil, Susan, and I watched a turkey hatch. Susan videotaped it. Phil's been catching up on the computer and phone calls. He called Iris's daughter and we will try to get with them some time soon. Her husband pastors a church in Dillwyn. Alli dropped in after work. Janelle and Micah stopped in after karate to see the baby turkeys and pigs. Philip had so much fun showing them his farming projects. I finally got up enough mental energy to write down the last week and a half in my blog. We enjoyed our time in England. It was good to see the sights. But it was especially good to be literally picked up by Erin in a big bear hug and have time with her. And it was especially good to be with Uncle Dan and Aunt Myrt. I think my favorite thing about the whole trip was the Buroughs market-the sampling of cultures from around the world, and playing Chicken Feet in the eves. when I didn't know what Uncle Dan was going to say next. I learned some things about the British. They take better care of the earth than we do. They recycle just about everything. They ration their water use. They are not overweight. They don't judge by appearances. And they give to charities./// Yippee! It is now 8:45 and I can go to bed. It would be past midnight over there. No wonder I've been begging for sleep.

Thurs.-54 years old today. Missing Mother and her card and kind affirming words. Had a wonderful day. Lots of people saying happy birthday's on face book. A bit overwhelming. Ginger called. She said,'You are too near and dear to me to just say Happy Birthday on face book.' Abie, David, and Rosalee, my siblings, called. Missi, Michelle, Dianna, Judy, and Lindsay called. Phil called too, to wish me a Happy Birthday. And Freeman And Alli called, separately from each other. Susan and I went out to CCA at 1:30 to watch the elementary play. It was so well done. The kids were hugging me and parents were asking if I was coming back. Went shopping at Walmart with Susan. Dropped off Pig Roast invitations at the printers. June 16-4:00. Would love if you'd come. Dropped Susan off at Subway to meet Doreen and Graham. Got my hair cut. Went to Krogers. Joined Susan and Lydia at Grahams game at the high school. Graham made the best goal of the night and his team won before the second half was finished. Met a little girl on the bleachers named Catherine. She talked and talked. So smart she was. Looked just like I picture Adi to look when she is six or seven. Catherine had skipped a grade and was in 2nd grade and knew all her times tables. She, too, has been in Cancun. She whispered secrets in my ear and showed me her gymnastic moves and in my heart, I prayed for her. I knew she was my birthday gift from God. I felt like I had been with Adi. God also gave me Susan's face book message. This made me cry too. "Happy Birthday to my mom! :) She is the most thoughtful and kind person I know. I love you mom! :) So glad I get to spend the day with you.:)" Michael had a dozen pink roses waiting for me when we got home. Philip gave me a birthday hug since I was asleep when he left this morning. Phil was at a meeting this evening.(He took me to England for my birthday, but we will have my birthday family supper tomorrow. Michael's making fish and chips. And cole slaw. Susan is making Mother's Day Lunch. Bruschetta and Chicken Caesar salad.) Philip, Michael, Jordan, and I think, Erik, went fishing over at the pond. Took wood over to make a fire. Today, I wasn't nearly as jet-lagged. Susan's head is stuffed today like mine was yesterday. Our eyes and nose are burning. I should have gotten that Airborne stuff to take to build your immune system when flying. I do not like to fly. I take Bonine and it really helps me not to care that I am in the air. Otherwise, I panic a bit and feel sick. But Bonine is my friend. Dramamine works too. But it gives me a high and I say terrible things. Phil said one time that he could only hope it would wear off soon. And here I thought I was the funniest person alive. When it did wear off, I collapsed and fell asleep with my head on his lap on the plane, much to his relief. I still am a little embarassed about my behavior under the influence of Dramamine. Oh well, I'm almost half past 50. It's time not to worry so much about things like that. Right?
Birthday verses God gave me today. Located in Ex. 35:30-34. Underlined in Mother's Bible. "See the LORD has called by name, Bezalel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah; and He has filled him with the Spirit of God, in wisdom and understanding, in knowledge and all manner of workmanship, to design artistic works, to work in gold and silver and bronze, in cutting jewels for setting, in carving wood, and to work in all manner of artistic workmanship. And He has put in his heart the ability to teach..." I love these verses. I take them personally.

Fri.-Weeded the gardens and replanted bean seeds. Exercised. Made chicken potpie. Worked on cleaning up some more. Caught up with Lindsay, Dianna, Teresa, and Judy. Susan and I still so congested. Whole family here for my birthday supper of batter fried fish and homemade fries, coleslaw, chocolate cake and butterscotch pudding. Played Chicken Foot Dominoe game. Everyone liked it. I won. :) Nice party.

Sat.-Great day. Susan up early mulching and weeding Happy Valley with Meredith-5:30. I took a walk/jog for 15 min. Cleaned the house. Went to Homeschool Graduation at New Life. Went to Belks to pick up some Clinique for Susan. Our girl, Mandy, was there and also Mary. We had to cancel Susan's make up date for the prom because of Mother's funeral, and right away, without me saying anything, they expressed their sympathy about losing mother and Mandy said that she had been thinking about me last night and was going to call and see how we were. She came around the counter and hugged me. Then she gave me a free full sized lipstick since their promotional sample lipsticks were all gone. Going into Belks and talking to the clerks is like having real church. Came home and vacuumed and washed the floors. Susan and Phil went to pick up her puppy. She took a picture and put it on face book for us right away. She said that she was going to say that she'll probably never look quite that happy again except for on her wedding day, but I am not sure if she wrote that or not because we were looking at the picture on Michael's phone. Maybe she just sent it to his phone. I took a walk to my lonely chapel and resolved to go there more often. I sat there until I had peace of mind and then walked home with Angel. Made some popcorn and chatted with the boys and now I am typing away, waiting for the happy girl, her boxer puppy, and her precious father to get home.

Sun.-What a late night we had last night. Found some fleas on Lucy, Susan's boxer pup and we had to give her a flea bath and she was rather unhappy with the whole procedure. Susan is going to change her calf's name to Jessie. Lucy Lou is what we call the little darling. She cried in her pen so Susan brought her to bed with her and put her in the indented round pillow and she peacefully slept beside her most of the night. Susan woke up with Lucy standing on her chest, looking into her face, around 5:30 this morning because she had to go-"for about 2 minutes," Susan said. Susan is in love. We went to church and had an interesting service but Susan was wanting to get home as soon as possible to check on her. Susan also made Mother's Day lunch-bruschetta and Caesar salad, and we chipped in and gave her a hand. Freeman, Alli, Susan, and I played the dominoe game while the others took naps. Phil, Susan, and I watched Mission Impossible #4 in the eve. At lunch,Phil had everyone tell some of the earliest memories they had of me. Michael read me Prov. 31, and replaced 'woman' with 'mom'. It was a very nice relaxing day. Oh! Lindsay preached today at her church. I wish I could have heard her! She told me what she was going to share. It was an idea from her book and so insightful. Today is Mother's Day and Mother is with God and it's her day every day! Oh what a time she is having!

No comments: