Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Passover Songs

Today I was reading in Mother's Bible and noticed a note on verse 26, chapter 14 of Mark's Gospel. "And when they had sung a hymn..." They sang this hymn at the last supper during Passover. The note said that the hymn they sang was most likely taken from Psalms 115-118. These are the Psalms that were traditionally sung at the Passover meal. And so I looked them up.

There is something in me that always wishes I could have been there for Him when He was going through these last few days of His life. I wish I could have held Him, comforted Him, been the one to annoint Him with oil to show that I understood what was ahead for Him.

It gives me great comfort to know that perhaps He sang some of the following words before He left that upper room and made His way to the Garden of Gethsemane, where He would struggle with His will and His cup to drink and the horrors of taking on the sin of the world.

"Oh, Israel, trust in the LORD;
He is their help and their shield...

I love the LORD, because He has heard
My voice and my supplications,
Because He has inclined His ear to me,
Therefore I will call upon Him as long as I live.

The pains of death surrounded me,
And the pangs of Sheol laid hold of me;
I found trouble and sorrow.
Then I called upon the name of the LORD;
'O LORD, I implore You, deliver my soul!'

Gracious is the LORD, and righteous;
Yes, our God is merciful.
The LORD preserves the simple;
I was brought low, and He saved me.

Return to your rest, O my soul,
For the LORD has dealt bountifully with you.

For You have delivered my soul from death,
My eyes from tears,
And my feet from falling.
I will walk before the LORD
In the land of the living...

Precious in the sight of the LORD
Is the death of His saints...

I called on the LORD in distress;
The LORD answered me and set me in a broad place.
The LORD is on my side;
I will not fear,
What can man do to me?

I shall not die, but live,
and declare the works of the LORD,
The LORD has chastened me severely,
But He has not given me over to death.

The stone which the builders rejected
Has become the chief cornerstone.
This was the LORD's doing;
It is marvelous in our eyes.

This is the day the LORD has made;
We will rejoice and be glad in it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am sure these words held Him, comforted Him,
and annointed Him with their oil of understanding.

No comments: