Friday, November 2, 2012

Authority and Faith

Jesus was being followed by a crowd of people when a centurion soldier came up to Him.

 He stated his dilemma. " A boy of mine lies at home paralyzed and racked with pain."

Jesus said, "I will come and cure him."

The centurion replied, "Who am I to have you under my roof? Only say the word and he will be healed. I myself am under orders and I have soldiers under me. I tell them what to do and they do it."

Jesus heard him with astonishment and turned to His followers saying, "I tell you this: nowhere, even among my own people, Israel, have I found such faith."

Turning to the centurion He said, "Go home. Let it be just as your faith said it would be."
And so it was, at that very moment, the boy was healed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

True authority has its roots in humility.
Jesus did only what His Father wanted Him to do.
His authority was rooted in Another's authority;
in Another's will.

The centurion was also under his commander's authority.
He obeyed his leader just as his own men obeyed him.

He recognized in Jesus as One with authority
who was also under authority.

This leader of men was humble.
He didn't ask Jesus to heal the boy because he was positionally entitled to have healing for his son.
He said, "I am not worthy for you to step foot in my house."

He asked Jesus to heal the boy because he had compassion for his son.
He didn't want him to have pain or be paralyzed.

Humility, compassion, and the understanding of true authority
had taken root in the centurion,
revealing the greatest faith
that Jesus had ever found.

Oh, to have faith that astonishes God.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Matthew 8

No comments: